aberdeen-music

Guitar Paint job

are you MENTAL!? lol it will be yellow for a while until i get a paintjob. Gonna get it done in some cool blue shade and docs gonna LED it. Think i'll scallop it and fit my midi pickup to it aswell :)

its gonna be the ultimate guitar!

Will Doc be able to do the fretboard LEDS you wanted? I dunno if he's brave enough yet :p

I'll get stef to upload a pic of you live. The guitar seems to glow. ha

I had a gold top sparkle les paul epiphone. Got it for 50 quid with a hard case from some wifie in the paper. It didnt have any strings and she thought it wasnt worth anything without them.

Anyway I couldnt ever play that thing on stage as I would have been affronted. I just got a couple of cans of spray and laq from halfords. A few hours later it was jet black.

I then took it to the globe and played a gig in there, 1 hour later it was Jet black with sparkly gold bits and looked shite! Moral of the story, dont DIY.

PS

For sale, Jet black epiphone with sparkly gold bits epiphone for sale

Anyway I couldnt ever play that thing on stage as I would have been affronted. I just got a couple of cans of spray and laq from halfords. A few hours later it was jet black.

I then took it to the globe and played a gig in there, 1 hour later it was Jet black with sparkly gold bits and looked shite! Moral of the story, dont DIY.

Yeah, don't DIY if you don't know what you're doing... i.e. spraying directly onto a guitars factory finish.

Also there's no time gap mentioned between "A few hours later it was jet black" and "I then took it to the globe and played a gig in there". Please tell me there was an appreciable time gap (days rather than hours) ;)

If you want a blue Ibanez, why don't you sell the yellow guitar and buy one?

Loads of the RG models they have out just now come in blue or shades thereof, and a used one would be easy to come by as almost every RG they did a couple years ago was a blueish colour of some description.

A yellow RG is an item that'd be cherished and loved by someone, not ruined in ANOTHER boring blue/ black/ grey/ purple wash.

Also there's no time gap mentioned between "A few hours later it was jet black" and "I then took it to the globe and played a gig in there". Please tell me there was an appreciable time gap (days rather than hours) ;)

Yeah there was a couple of days. I didnt really care about what the finish was like to be honest, my other guitar was out of action at the time and id have rather fucked the finished on the sparkle than play with it sparkly!

So if you do care about the finish dont do what I did.

the model of rg i wanted is very hard to come by on ebay - RG550(maple fretboard, pickguard), i don't want to spend twice as much money on the muck they make these days and a paintjob is a small price to pay for having the guitar i want. Yea its allright in yellow, i just did a tour with it and got accessories to match! but i've got to think about the image of the band and stuff lol

theres a good chance i'll keep it yellow for a while but in the long run its not really what i want to be remembered for

theres a good chance i'll keep it yellow for a while but in the long run its not really what i want to be remembered for

Paul Gilbert played a pink Ibanez in his early glorious days, and that's not what he'll be remembered for. Gambale played a yellow one at the time of "The thunder from down under" and it's unlikely that in future, guitar enthusiasts are gonna talk to each other in the terms of "Frank Gambale; he was that guy with the yellow guitar wasn't he?".

Let's agree to disagree: Original RG550- Good "shredders" guitar. Of this there can be no debate. At the end of the day it is the music produced with the instrument that is important, not the colour of it, nor the image that colour conveys or has influence upon.

Paul Gilbert played a pink Ibanez in his early glorious days, and that's not what he'll be remembered for. Gambale played a yellow one at the time of "The thunder from down under" and it's unlikely that in future, guitar enthusiasts are gonna talk to each other in the terms of "Frank Gambale; he was that guy with the yellow guitar wasn't he?".

Let's agree to disagree: Original RG550- Good "shredders" guitar. Of this there can be no debate. At the end of the day it is the music produced with the instrument that is important, not the colour of it, nor the image that colour conveys or has influence upon.

Well said.

In addition, John Petrucci used to play a stinking Ibanez that looked like Picasso just shat out a game of twister on a guitar. But again, not what you associate with him.

And stage lights make black/blue painted guitars look green or red anyway....

i think with the sort of band he's in [it's a power metal band right?], a yellow guitar is very fitting. it's over the top, it's a bit weird and no-one really wants it! i jest, but seriously, if you're getting shot of the yellow then the only alternative is dragon scale green. just say the yellow is orc blood from your slaying days.

Have youn tried Ian Taylor, his number is on a poster at Captain Toms. I think i plain spray job and laquer would be ok priced, it's sunburst's and translucent jobs that are time consuming and expensive.

Ian's work is very good and he's a very nice guy.

He just seems to take ages to finish anything, so be sure to fix a timescale with him.

the guitar doesn't exist in the colour i want! unless i get a really old one.

and i know i wont be remembered for havin a yellow guitar thats not the point i've just got to think of the fashion side of things what goes with the clothes i wear! aesthetics are important!

im gonna check out this guys whos advertised in the captain toms wall he sounds pro

Number one consideration is the sound, then the way it plays, but if you can get it to look good as well, that's cool. :)

does how it looks mean as much as how it plays?

If im buying new drums i go for sound, then price but ive never been too bothered about colour and finish, but then thats different i guess, not quite as much choice as guitars.