aberdeen-music

Comic Book Thread

kirkt

Some to recommend. Crossed (especially Wish You Were Here, which you can read online for free) Saga, Happy, Chronicles of Wormwood. Preacher.

Garth Ennis' The Boys has just concluded its 72 issue (and 3 miniseries spin-offs) run and has concluded in a dramatic and thrilling way. It doesn't "out Preacher" Preacher as he would claim in terms of violence and humour but comes pretty close.

The latest Batman storyline "Death of The Family" which is a crossover across all the Bat-family titles has been excellent. Return of The Joker and one major charachter is guaranteed to die.

The other half got some interesting Mike Carey stuff, the DC Vertigo encyclopedia, RED, Phonogram 2. I bought the 4th No Man's Land book and got a page of original Eagle artwork from 1990 - the time I was reading the Eagle. Recently she has got the first 21 6th Gun comics, I've bought some Sigil and Ruse stuff which is brilliant.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I got Deadpool 'Dead Presidents' for Christmas. Now all I want to do is read every Deadpool. He's such a cunt. Everything he says, you can imagine John McClane saying it as he weilds a machine gun towards the bad guys. He's batshit.

They're making a Deadpool film, with Ryan fucking Reynolds. He's no Deadpool. He's a cunt, but not the right kind of cunt. And I should know. I've read ONE Deadpool collection.

• Upvote 1

I got Deadpool 'Dead Presidents' for Christmas. Now all I want to do is read every Deadpool. He's such a cunt. Everything he says, you can imagine John McClane saying it as he weilds a machine gun towards the bad guys. He's batshit.

They're making a Deadpool film, with Ryan fucking Reynolds. He's no Deadpool. He's a cunt, but not the right kind of cunt. And I should know. I've read ONE Deadpool collection.

The Deadpool movie has been announced and cancelled more times than I can count - my hopes aren't high :(.

Deadpool Kills... series is pretty awesome. The early comics are pretty great too - I downloaded his whole back catalogue and have been slowly but surely working through it.

xx

Is there any Deadpool I should go buy this weekend to get me started? He seems like a GBOLATB in a cunty way.

All of it. As I said, Deadpool Kills is now collected in 3 trade paperbacks (Deadpool Kills the Marvel Universe, Deadpool Killustrated and Deadpool Kills Deadpool). There's also Deadpool Corps and there's a Deadpool ongoing series started not long ago with the new wave or Marvel Now stuff.

xx

Yeah, the Dead Presidents one is Vol 1 of the most recent run. I've heard Vol 2 is disappointing, but I loved Dead Presidents. Seems widely recommended as a good dropping in point. Ridiculous story line, good gorey scenes, excellent Deadpool punchlines. I read it in one go, as I couldn't put it down.

I don't know how it compares to other DP stuff, but it's certainly made me want to buy more, which I have. Bought THIS online. Almost 500 pages of Deadpool. I'm hooked.

Edited by Joda Serk

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked up Robocop today, the one based on Frank Miller's screenplay intended for Robocop 2, which Hollywood didn't really use.

Some of the dialogue is a bit weird, but it looks great generally. Crude violence, reminiscent of neo-Thrash album covers, which I totally dig. Robocop is such a cunt. He wades in and usually claims "You're all under arrest" - then just wastes everyone with an arm made of a machine gun anyway. Have it.

I picked up Robocop today, the one based on Frank Miller's screenplay intended for Robocop 2, which Hollywood didn't really use.

Some of the dialogue is a bit weird, but it looks great generally. Crude violence, reminiscent of neo-Thrash album covers, which I totally dig. Robocop is such a cunt. He wades in and usually claims "You're all under arrest" - then just wastes everyone with an arm made of a machine gun anyway. Have it.

I started watching Robocop 2 the other day,my god I had forgotten how terrible it was, in my head it wasn't too bad, but it was... I also remember quite enjoying Robocop 3, which was co-written by Miller. I love Frank Miller's stuff (well what i've read) , i especially like his take on Daredevil who is one of the consistently best written characters in the marvel universe, but then again when your past writers include frank miller, Brian Michael Bendis and the wonderful Ed Brubaker chances are you're doing OK. However everything I've read about Miller as a person leads me to believe he's an incredibly nasty piece of work which is a real pity, his comments about Occupy Wall Street were : "nothing but a pack of louts, thieves, and rapists".

• 1 month later...

Racking up quite a Deadpool collection now. I even watched that shitty Wolverine film, because of the 10 minutes of Wade Wilson in it. It was totally shite.

I got:

Deadpool Classic Vol1

Deadpool Classic Vol2

Deadpool Classic Vol3

Marvel Now! Deadpool: Dead Presidents

Marvel Now! Deadpool: Soul Hunter

Marvel Now! Deadpool: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Deadpool Killustrated

Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe

Deadpool Kills Deadpool

Wade Wilson's War

Merc With a Mouth - Head Trip

Deadpool & Cable Ultimate Collection Vol1

Deadpool by Daniel Way - Complete Collection Vol1

Deadpool MAX

Loved it all so far except for Deadpool MAX, which was a bit bonkers, though I do like the crude messy artwork, which is very un-Marvel looking. The most recent Marvel Now series is probably my favourite. It's written by Brian Posehn who is a pretty great comedian, so it's certainly the silliest. The Cable collection is great too. Cable hates Deadpool.

Racking up quite a Deadpool collection now. I even watched that shitty Wolverine film, because of the 10 minutes of Wade Wilson in it. It was totally shite.

I got:

Deadpool Classic Vol1

Deadpool Classic Vol2

Deadpool Classic Vol3

Marvel Now! Deadpool: Dead Presidents

Marvel Now! Deadpool: Soul Hunter

Marvel Now! Deadpool: The Good, The Bad & The Ugly

Deadpool Killustrated

Deadpool Kills The Marvel Universe

Deadpool Kills Deadpool

Wade Wilson's War

Merc With a Mouth - Head Trip

Deadpool & Cable Ultimate Collection Vol1

Deadpool by Daniel Way - Complete Collection Vol1

Deadpool MAX

Loved it all so far except for Deadpool MAX, which was a bit bonkers, though I do like the crude messy artwork, which is very un-Marvel looking. The most recent Marvel Now series is probably my favourite. It's written by Brian Posehn who is a pretty great comedian, so it's certainly the silliest. The Cable collection is great too. Cable hates Deadpool.

Interestingly I've liked all the Deadpool I've read except Deadpool Max as well which just seemed to lose the point of Deadpool for me, I've been enjoying Fantomex Max though, I'm enjoying the current night of the Living Deadpool run as well.

I haven't started Night of the Living Deadpool run yet. I don't really buy comics, but I'll get it when it comes out as a TPB. Due in June, I think.

I've liked just about everything else other than Deadpool Max. Daniel Way's Deadpool is iffy. I like the silliness, it makes it very light hearted, I suppose, but it's not as well written as the current Marvel Now! run, or the Joe Kelly stuff. It's good for laughs, but not for depth.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

We swung by in the car and decided to give it a miss after hearing about folk standing for 3-4 hours before getting in. Some of the costumes look awesome, and hopefully it means a bigger, two-day con in Aberdeen next year.

I've been reading Rat Queens and Lumberjanes, both of which are just great. I'm all caught up on Rat Queens and plan to start the second arc of Lumberjanes on my lunch today. I've still got to get caught up on Saga, and got a shot of The Wicked + the Divine as well.

• 8 months later...
  • 8 months later...

Anyone been reading decent comics recently? I kind of fell out of love with comics for a while. Barely remembered to pick up the new Walking Dead TPB when it came out. Sister's bf is heavy in to comics and it kind of reignited my passion.

Recent purchases/series I'd reccomend:

All-Star Batman - Batman and Two-Face take a road trip. Pretty damn decent.
DC Universe Rebirth Batman - Haven't read this yet, just ordered 1-10 on forbidden planet as the rest of the rebirth stuff as been great.
Batman/Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles - Issue 1 was pretty decent. Cant find issue 2 and it's been over a month since I got 1. Boo-urns.
Cage - Luke Cage, in the 70s. Really funny. I still need to find out if the artist is black, cause if he's not then I don't think it's funny I think it's racist.
Dead No More - Clone Conspiracy - Never been much of a Spidey fan, but this seems like a great event. 3 tie-ins a month though, fuck sake.
Deadpool & The Mercs for Money - Deadpool is leading a group of mercs, for money. Typical deadpool funny stuff.
Deadpool - Back in Black - After that black alien shit was rejected by Spidey, it became venom, but not before taking a brief stop off at Deadpool.
Deadpool Too Soon? - Deadpool gets the funniest comic characters together for a Christmas card, but someone dies - oh oh! 

Doom Patrol - Gerard Way writing for DC's Young Animals. It's weird. No idea what it's about but it was good. 

DC Universe Rebirth Justice League - Justice League taking on massive threats to the planet. Pretty decent. 

Little Girl Black - A guy is keeping girls from different races captive for sex and torture. He kills his "black one" and goes to replace her. He messes with the wrong woman though.
The Lost Boys - Sequel to the film in comic form. It's great, but then you see Corey Haim IRL and it makes you sad.
Old Man Logan - Wolverine is old now, he just wants to tend farm and raise his family. But villains rule the world. He goes back in time to stop that from happening.
The Punisher - New punisher series. Pretty damn good. They censor the swears tho, which is a bit shit tbh.
Reborn - New Mark Millar series. Still waiting for issue 2, as issue 1 was just a set up. But it was sad, and on purpose, so it was pretty good.

DC Universe Rebirth Suicide Squad - This is cool. If you didn't enjoy the film, you'll enjoy this. Isn't a total fuck up of the series.

DC Universe Rebirth Superman - Bit of an Old Man Logan vibe. Supes just wants to tend farm and raise his son. But his son is half human, half krypto. It's been great so far. Favourite of the DCU Rebirth series.