aberdeen-music

Comic Book Thread

kirkt

I am all about Judge Dredd right now. Reading as much as possible, which is good, because they're bloody loads.

Non-Dredd stuff; Southern Bastards is my favourite series at the moment. Hugely recommended.

I also read IKILLGIANTS recently too. A one shot novel by Joe Kelly. Also excellent.

Anyone use Marvel Unlimited? It is just ridiculous. Though I struggle to get stuck in to anything. Looking at the catalogue, you've got about 3billion issues to pick from going back to the 40s and 50s. I start something then immediately want to check out something else, so I don't get anywhere. It's incredible, but it's almost too much. Then again, I was the same when I first got spotify. Spent the first 2 months listening to the first two tracks of an album, making gigantic playlists that I would never listen to before finally not being so overwhelmed. 

On 11/6/2016 at 5:37 PM, Soda van Jerk said:

Anyone use Marvel Unlimited? It is just ridiculous. Though I struggle to get stuck in to anything. Looking at the catalogue, you've got about 3billion issues to pick from going back to the 40s and 50s. I start something then immediately want to check out something else, so I don't get anywhere. It's incredible, but it's almost too much. Then again, I was the same when I first got spotify. Spent the first 2 months listening to the first two tracks of an album, making gigantic playlists that I would never listen to before finally not being so overwhelmed. 

My pal keeps going on about it. I'm the kind of guy that would download an mp3 off itunes but not feel right until I bought it physically. I like I series on Netflix and I check out how much the boxset is. I like to have things. Same with comics. I'm purposefully not reading some series because I can't afford to buy them all. And if I like the older stuff on Marvel Unlimited tomorrow's Evening Express headline would be "local lad fails in bank robbery, blames Stan Lee"

On 11/7/2016 at 9:29 AM, Gypsum_Fantastic said:

Rat Queens

Paper Girls

Saga

I keep seeing this everywhere. Any good? What's it about?

Anyone ever ordered from Forbidden Planet's website? I ordered Batman 1-10. All were in stock. I got the dispatch email. I got excited. So excited I didn't realise they only dispatched 2-10. So, I'm waiting on them to find #1 and send it to me. Don't really want to have to find it on eBay. 

I see what you mean about MU. My comics are taking up far too much space, and after recently moving house, my boxes of comics were one of the worst boxes to move. So I'm fully embracing digital comics. I buy trades on Comixology when they have sales on, and read the first couple of issues of hundreds of series'. Wish 2000ad had a MU-like platform so I could speed through the history of Dredd, plus other 2000ad comics.

Comics on an IPad screen look excellent too. And easier to read whilst scoffing lunch at work. I took a while to get on board with digital comics (as I did digital music) but I'm converted.

Real comics are heavy and annoying. Records are too.

Data > Possessions.

22 hours ago, Soda van Jerk said:

I see what you mean about MU. My comics are taking up far too much space, and after recently moving house, my boxes of comics were one of the worst boxes to move. So I'm fully embracing digital comics. I buy trades on Comixology when they have sales on, and read the first couple of issues of hundreds of series'. Wish 2000ad had a MU-like platform so I could speed through the history of Dredd, plus other 2000ad comics.

Comics on an IPad screen look excellent too. And easier to read whilst scoffing lunch at work. I took a while to get on board with digital comics (as I did digital music) but I'm converted.

Real comics are heavy and annoying. Records are too.

Data > Possessions.

But comics sound warm when you read them. Digital colours are too "clean".

Got a reply from Forbidden Planet. They don't have Batman 1 in stock. They are getting in touch with their supplier but don't know when it'll come back in stock. Do I wait so I get it for £1.95 at some point, with the risk that they might not get the first print in stock again. Or do I bite the bullet now and just pay the £3 odd to get it on ebay?

• 1 month later...

ended up biting the bullet and just getting the directors cut of Batman #1.

Also, Christmas has been good, got Harley Quinn 1-10 from my missus. Really enjoying it. I can't help but get horny reading it though.
Brother-in-law got me Scooby Apocalypse. It's amazing. A new take on the gang with a pretty awesome origin story. He also surprised me with The Walking Dead issue 100, i.e. the first appearance of negan and lucille. That's getting framed.

• 5 months later...

I ditched Marvel Unlimited for a while as I just didn't have the time. I've gone back and totally hooked again. 70's Luke Cage - Hero for Hire is a right laugh. Silly insults and over-egged dialogue to make sure you know the characters are black. Marvel seems to make an assumption that black people do not speak very well. Might be a tad racist. But then it's all okay, because Luke Cage says something like "quit yo' jive, pork belly" and facepunches a bad guy over the horizon.

I'm still on the side of Data > Possessions. I got Punisher MAX for my birthday, about a third of the way in, the pages split from the glue on the spine and it fell apart. Not the first Marvel trade to do that to me either. Marvel trades are made like crap, and Waterstones agree. I was in there on Saturday looking at what other MAX stuff they had (cos it's not on MU). They said they're not stocking up on as much Marvel because so much of it gets returned. Their Marvel section was bare, which happens in no comic section ever.

6 hours ago, Soda Jerk said:

I ditched Marvel Unlimited for a while as I just didn't have the time. I've gone back and totally hooked again. 70's Luke Cage - Hero for Hire is a right laugh. Silly insults and over-egged dialogue to make sure you know the characters are black. Marvel seems to make an assumption that black people do not speak very well. Might be a tad racist. But then it's all okay, because Luke Cage says something like "quit yo' jive, pork belly" and facepunches a bad guy over the horizon.

I'm still on the side of Data > Possessions. I got Punisher MAX for my birthday, about a third of the way in, the pages split from the glue on the spine and it fell apart. Not the first Marvel trade to do that to me either. Marvel trades are made like crap, and Waterstones agree. I was in there on Saturday looking at what other MAX stuff they had (cos it's not on MU). They said they're not stocking up on as much Marvel because so much of it gets returned. Their Marvel section was bare, which happens in no comic section ever.

You should check out Cage from last year then. Was a short (5 or 6 issues maybe) run. Drawn very stylistically. Full of jive turkeys and sweet christmases.

I'm the opposite. My pal tried to get me in to MU, but I can't. I'll end up really enjoying an old run and bankrupt myself compulsively trying to collect it. 
I don't touch many marvel trades though. So wouldn't know about glue problems. Only ones I've got is the first Civil War run in trades, but that isn't Max stuff. All my issues get bagged and boarded too. And they need it. I got lazy over the past month. About 50 out of the 100 i bagged and boarded were damaged from lying around waiting to be bagged and boarded. And some fell over in the long box, meaning they're bent. 

Runs i've been enjoying recently:

Batman Rebirth - It's up to issue 24 or something now. It's been really good. The Catwoman and I Am Bane arcs were fantastic. The Button, for all the hype, amounted to nothing more than a 4 issue teaser for Superman Doomsday in November.

Old Man Logan - Jeff Lemire's final 4 issues were amazing. I'm not anticipating a writer being able to get this run as right as Lemire did. I want to get the nice looking variants to frame. The standard issues are a bit shite looking, but this comic reduced me to tears. I want to feel sad whenever I look at the wall 'cause of what happened to Logan and the fact that Marvel have lost a fantastic writer.

Powerman and Iron Fist - I started reading this after Civil War II, so I finally caught up and bought issues 1-9. Really great. I think Netflix really did get Danny Rand wrong. He's a lot more sympathetic in the comics since he's a fucking idiot. 

Jessica Jones - This has been great too. Just some real good drama, not much use of super powers.

Hulk - Not Bruce, not the other one, the girl one. Really enjoying this too. It's all fall out from Civil War II.

Civil War II - So I started getting in to collecting issues late last year. Around the time that Civil War II was kicking off. I dodged it and decided to wait for the trade paperback, then didn't bother with that as a lot of the reviews were bad. But since almost every Marvel comic i collected was all reeling from the fallout of Civil War II, I finally decided to get it. But I got it in Issues. Really liked it. Not as good as Civil War I, but good nonetheless.

1 hour ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

You should check out Cage from last year then. Was a short (5 or 6 issues maybe) run. Drawn very stylistically. Full of jive turkeys and sweet christmases.

I'm the opposite. My pal tried to get me in to MU, but I can't. I'll end up really enjoying an old run and bankrupt myself compulsively trying to collect it. 
I don't touch many marvel trades though. So wouldn't know about glue problems. Only ones I've got is the first Civil War run in trades, but that isn't Max stuff. All my issues get bagged and boarded too. And they need it. I got lazy over the past month. About 50 out of the 100 i bagged and boarded were damaged from lying around waiting to be bagged and boarded. And some fell over in the long box, meaning they're bent. 

Runs i've been enjoying recently:

Batman Rebirth - It's up to issue 24 or something now. It's been really good. The Catwoman and I Am Bane arcs were fantastic. The Button, for all the hype, amounted to nothing more than a 4 issue teaser for Superman Doomsday in November.

Old Man Logan - Jeff Lemire's final 4 issues were amazing. I'm not anticipating a writer being able to get this run as right as Lemire did. I want to get the nice looking variants to frame. The standard issues are a bit shite looking, but this comic reduced me to tears. I want to feel sad whenever I look at the wall 'cause of what happened to Logan and the fact that Marvel have lost a fantastic writer.

Powerman and Iron Fist - I started reading this after Civil War II, so I finally caught up and bought issues 1-9. Really great. I think Netflix really did get Danny Rand wrong. He's a lot more sympathetic in the comics since he's a fucking idiot. 

Jessica Jones - This has been great too. Just some real good drama, not much use of super powers.

Hulk - Not Bruce, not the other one, the girl one. Really enjoying this too. It's all fall out from Civil War II.

Civil War II - So I started getting in to collecting issues late last year. Around the time that Civil War II was kicking off. I dodged it and decided to wait for the trade paperback, then didn't bother with that as a lot of the reviews were bad. But since almost every Marvel comic i collected was all reeling from the fallout of Civil War II, I finally decided to get it. But I got it in Issues. Really liked it. Not as good as Civil War I, but good nonetheless.

I never really did individual issues, but they're definitely more practical than trades. Double page spreads don't work in thicker trades (and that's probably when they split and break, trying to open it right out to see the whole spread). Individual issues look and feel better, but they're not great value for money, and I have nowhere to really store comics. My trades/graphic novels already takes up a ridiculous amount of space. I should probably downsize.

I just read the first couple of issues of the new Cage on MU. I read it is drawn by the same guys who did Dexters Lab, and you can definitely tell. Fun as fuck.

I keep meaning to give the She Hulk stuff a go. Mainly because I love how butthurt it is making all the white boys on the internet who think its a disgrace and is ruining their childhood, or some self entitled bullshit. Seems worth it just for that.

On 6/5/2017 at 6:35 PM, Soda Jerk said:

I never really did individual issues, but they're definitely more practical than trades. Double page spreads don't work in thicker trades (and that's probably when they split and break, trying to open it right out to see the whole spread). Individual issues look and feel better, but they're not great value for money, and I have nowhere to really store comics. My trades/graphic novels already takes up a ridiculous amount of space. I should probably downsize.

I just read the first couple of issues of the new Cage on MU. I read it is drawn by the same guys who did Dexters Lab, and you can definitely tell. Fun as fuck.

I keep meaning to give the She Hulk stuff a go. Mainly because I love how butthurt it is making all the white boys on the internet who think its a disgrace and is ruining their childhood, or some self entitled bullshit. Seems worth it just for that.

Brexit fucked it all up. Comic prices shot up. I keep meaning to downsize, then an event happens, and there's tie ins. I wanted to read a spiderman comic, so I picked up clone conspiracy. with all the tie ins I was about 20 issues deep in to a 6 issue arc. Same with Civil War and Inhumans vs X-Men.

My trades take up one massive shelf, smaller books (scott pilgrim and death note) take up half of another shelf. All my issues are in two of the large long boxes. They hold 300 each. I've almost filled two. I got in to collecting issues late last year. 

• 2 months later...

Just subbed to that 2000ad Ultimate Collection. Can't imagine I'll stick it out to the end, but there's some decent stuff at the beginning. Then I'll probably start cherry-picking what I want as it goes on.

The first two are a bargain. Slaine - The Horned God for £1.99 and The Complete Ballad of Halo Jones for £6.99, delivered to your door for free is a solid deal. The latter normally goes for upwards of £35, and is one of the best comics ever IMO. The art in Slaine is some of the best in the 2000ad back catalogue.

Free mug too!

Edited by Soda Jerk
  • Upvote 1

I saw the ad for that. I don't know much about 2000ad except they're British and they did Judge Dredd? 

Currently trying to catch up with Secret Empire before Marvel Legacy comes out. I'm always behind on events so I'm trying to get out in front for once. 
Speaking of events, Dark Knights Metal has been amazing so far. Then Superman Doomsday Clock in November. It's been a decent year for events so far.

2 hours ago, Jaaakkkeee said:

I saw the ad for that. I don't know much about 2000ad except they're British and they did Judge Dredd? 

Currently trying to catch up with Secret Empire before Marvel Legacy comes out. I'm always behind on events so I'm trying to get out in front for once. 
Speaking of events, Dark Knights Metal has been amazing so far. Then Superman Doomsday Clock in November. It's been a decent year for events so far.

I don't know much about 2000AD overall either, but I'm big into Judge Dredd, and I read Halo Jones a long time ago and loved it, so I'm glad to have it in a swish hardback book.

Hopefully they get into the ABC Warrior stuff fairly early on.

On 25/08/2017 at 8:58 PM, Soda Jerk said:

Just subbed to that 2000ad Ultimate Collection. Can't imagine I'll stick it out to the end, but there's some decent stuff at the beginning. Then I'll probably start cherry-picking what I want as it goes on.

The first two are a bargain. Slaine - The Horned God for £1.99 and The Complete Ballad of Halo Jones for £6.99, delivered to your door for free is a solid deal. The latter normally goes for upwards of £35, and is one of the best comics ever IMO. The art in Slaine is some of the best in the 2000ad back catalogue.

Free mug too!

Cheers for that, just signed up, wife will go mad, but hey.

• 1 month later...

Marvel Legacy has started. Everything's going back to old numbering. Which is good, as I really need to do a cull, so if runs are jumping from issue 12 to issue 512, I won't pick up 512 and call it a day.

Also, Dark Nights Metal has began over at DC. It's been really good. Looking forward to Doomsday Clock more though, for the same reasons as above, I hope Dr Manhattan resets the numbering, as I need to do a DC cull too, especially considering I still need to actually read New52 and Watchmen, and my two 300 issue longboxes are full up.

Here's Negan was shit. Glad I didn't fall for the blind box. If I paid £150 and got that, I'd be fucking gutted.

Royal City has started again, and as with everything Jeff Lemire does, it's brilliant. And all the cover variants are 90s album covers. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

MAJOR SPOILERS FOR ALL

seriously don't read if you don't want quite up to date spoilers.

DC Universe: Batman, Metal, Doomsday Clock

Okay, so straight off, Batman's romance is fantastic. The little arc with those two plus Superman and Lois is hilarious. Strongly Recommend (I'm sure from about issue 24 it really ramps up. Before War of Jokes & Riddles though). Metal has been kind of all over the place. I didn't get the tie in's till xmas (not main present), so it's been quite confusing. But other titles, i've picked back up from a new arc and understood a lot easier. Doomsday Clock is good. Well, I assume it's good, I've only actually seen the Watchmen film. But it seems pretty decent. Been pretty slow but then again it's only 2 issues in out of 12. Anyone got any Watchmen issues they wanna sell me?

Marvel : All-New Wolverine, Old Man Logan, Legacy, Jessica Jones, Hulk

All-New Wolverine I picked back up at the new Legacy Arc, It's been pretty damn good. But, and this is a 

***major spoiler*** but a big death at then end of the last issue has me scratching my head. Completely unrelated Old Man Logan's Legacy Arc has him in Japan again. Again, I haven't read the original, but I'm enjoying this as I've been told his arc's in Japan are v. good. Legacy, wow, I had fuck all idea what was going on, I do know who returned. Just let me say there's been a return. Jessica Jones has been really great, and relatively grounded. The entire run has been pretty great. Hulk is along the same lines of being quite grounded at times but I mean, she does Hulk out so it does get more cartoon than Jessica Jones. But I Love this, and it has it's really funny moments too. Hulk has went to from at times funny arc about the youtube chef poisoned with a drug that turns him in to a like, mutant Hulk thing. Her Legacy arc has been a little more mind bending at times.

Image: The Walking Dead, Royal City,

Walking Dead has been... I don't know. Got last volume on my Birthday and I've already forgotten. Probably better than the current TV series though. Royal City has been pretty amazing. Written by Jeff Lemire (Old Man Logan, Thanos), It's been pretty great. V. sad at times. He also does the art, so the art style is really cool. Newest arc has had a time shift to before "everything" happened. Each Issue has a 90's Album inspired variant, and normally come with a little note along with a 90's music inspired spotify playlist he listened to whilst working on it. Pretty Fantastic all round. Also he's away to team up with Andreas Sorrentino (Art on Lemire's OML run) on something for image soon too, apparently.