aberdeen-music

Comic Book Thread

kirkt

I've only got the first two issues of Kick-Ass which I picked up ages ago in Forbidden Planet in Edinburgh. Really need to pick that up again as they were brilliant.

Got the new issue at the weekend - plot-twist-tastic!

Still brilliantly written, I still think the art lets it down though, but I've never like John Romita Jr...

• 4 weeks later...

Still brilliantly written, I still think the art lets it down though, but I've never like John Romita Jr...

Finally picked up #6...you certainly didn't lie about the twist, best issue yet! I get what you mean about the artwork, it's not that I don't like it, just not sure if its right for the type of comic it is.

Finally picked up #6...you certainly didn't lie about the twist, best issue yet! I get what you mean about the artwork, it's not that I don't like it, just not sure if its right for the type of comic it is.

Dunno, think Millar and Romita must be good chums - they've done heaps of stuff together.

I just don't like his style at all - too scrappy-looking, not enough detail etc. Haven't liked it since his X-Men run about 10 years ago. Can't believe they let him disgrace hallmark issue 300 with his pish...

Recently been getting into 'The Unwritten' by Mike Carey (Lucifer), pretty slow but extremely well written and drawn; and anything By Jason Aaron...

Recently been getting into 'The Unwritten' by Mike Carey (Lucifer), pretty slow but extremely well written and drawn; and anything By Jason Aaron...

I got issue 1 the other day (bargain price and a great writer) but haven't had chance to sit down and read it but it sounds very good!

I noticed in Plan 9 window today that they have re-issued Preacher (issue 1 at least) for like 99p or something if anyone is wanting to try before they before they get the graphic novels etc...

Oh my. Completely forgot Plan 9 existed until I saw this. Haven't been there for about 7-8years... I've really no idea how I managed to forget about it... And I've been walking around like a schmuck thinking Forbidden Planet was the only real comic shop...

Incidentally, our Forbidden Planet's been disappointing for Kick Ass. I got the first issue of it when it came out there, but have had to get the rest whenever I've been down in Glasgow...

Gonna check out Plan 9 with my friend John tomorrow. Exciting!

Incidentally, our Forbidden Planet's been disappointing for Kick Ass. I got the first issue of it when it came out there, but have had to get the rest whenever I've been down in Glasgow...

They've been alright with my copies of Kick Ass, possibly due to the wrath they felt when they fucked up my order for the new X-Force. They're generally very good though, all fine men and women.

Got my Kick Ass back issues in Plan 9, I generally use FP for my main standing order and P9/Asylum for older stuff.

Fair enough, its the novelisations that scare me, I read 'Han Solo at Stars End' aged 9, and even then I wondered how such a cool film could birth such a poorly written, badly plotted piece of hackery. And that was in the Golden Age, I fear to think what the prequel inspired books must be like, more proof of the absence of divine intelligence probably.

I got the Star Wars comics in the 70s, but ended up preferring the Micronaughts, which was in it.

Ah well you shouldnt judge the Star Ward books on the Han Solo series, or the Lando Calrissian one, or the even worse Splinter in the Minds Eye, but some of the later stuff, specifically the New Jedi Order series are really quite good, i dont buy anything like as many as I used to now and don't actually have them all anymore but I do intend to start buying them when i have time to read them :)

Need to pop into Plan 9 and pick up some back issues methinks...

Also really need to get into Forbidden Planet and pick up my standing order of Buffy comics, I'm quite bad for forgetting to pop in :(

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

If anyone has ever fancied trying 'Preacher', the British Heart Foundation shop by the Music Hall has what looks like all the graphic novels in cracking condition for 3 quid each.

That's a major bargain as it's an amazing comic book.

I already have them, but I was almost tempted to buy them to sell on Amazon at a profit. But someone else, get in and enjoy.

I tend to get all my graphic novels from amazon, as there cheapier and you get a fair range, that or pop into forbidden planet, but sometime there books are too expensive for example the newest nightwing novel about him taking over from batman after he dies is 30, i sure it will come down in a few months but people can't really afford that.

I've only just begun to open my eyes to the land of comics. It was kinda inevitable that I'd end up reading some of the Gen 1 Marvel Transformers comics.

I have a few British printings of the Gen 1 Marvel stuff (which are probably older than most of the people that post here), one came with a free animal bar!

I'd stick to anything Marvel and written by Simon Furman. (EDIT: When it comes to Transformers books that is, his Gen 2 stiuff is alright too, but I only have the first few issues)

• 3 years later...

Thread revival. Some of you must have gotten some comics for Christmas?

I finally got my hands on the first two collections of Chew. Just hammered through the first one. It's excellent. Wonderfully disgusting artwork, and the story is portrayed as a very solid and grounded crime/fiction, despite the setting itself being utterly unthinkable - Poultry is outlawed due to the government conspiracy that is Bird Flu. Tony Chu is an FDA agent who can ingest something and immediately conjuring up a psychic impression.

Also got the first two volumes of DMZ but haven't started those yet.

• Upvote 1