aberdeen-music

Jon Allen and The Law @ The Lemon Tree

Two great (and cheap!) gigs at The Lemon Tree this weekend, showing two up-and-coming talents.

Jon Allen plus guests, Fri 17 April, doors 8.30pm

Earning rave reviews, plenty of radio air time and winning over the hearts of BBC Radio 2 with his single In Your Light, Jon's gravelly voice perfectly accompanies guitar rooted in the blues and English folk. He has also opened for Damien Rice, KT Tunstall and Jose Gonzalez and has toured with Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris. Definitely one to look out for over the coming year.

The Law plus guests, Sat 18 April, doors 8pm

The latest band to emmerge from the vibrant Dundee rock scene, The Law played a blinder on the headline stage at T in the Park last year and have recently completed their second nationwide tour with The View. They will be performing material from their forthcoming album A Measure of Wealth.

Purchase tickets for both shows here.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

When is this? I've heard murmurs but haven't seen it advertised anywhere...

Not that I'll be going, I'm not really a fan of the Law. But if the gig was actually advertised somewhere, people who are interested would attend :)

Just checked the Lemon Tree website, and it is indeed Saturday. Someone had asked me about support slots for the Law gig and I think they said it was the 18th.

But I'd checked the Law myspace and the Lemon Tree website and all the usual gig listings etc and just couldn't see any evidence of it anywhere.

Hope they get more folk than when they played at Moshulu a couple of years back :up:

Just checked the Lemon Tree website, and it is indeed Saturday. Someone had asked me about support slots for the Law gig and I think they said it was the 18th.

But I'd checked the Law myspace and the Lemon Tree website and all the usual gig listings etc and just couldn't see any evidence of it anywhere.

Hope they get more folk than when they played at Moshulu a couple of years back :up:

Vesuvian are the support....

Vesuvian being gash is a matter of opinion.

As would the fact that the Law are gash which a lot of people think.

Vesuvian supporting The Law makes sense to me actually - very similar bands. I wouldn't say "gash" as such, but neither of them are really my thing.

Never noticed my post went after yours. Vesuvian are a good band...The Law on the other hand...

Haha right. You should always quote so as to not be misunderstood....

I don't think the Law are any more popular than they were when we supported them in 2007, so I can't really see them pulling much of a crowd to be honest. But for the sake of the gig and the bands involved, I hope they do manage a reasonable crowd.

The promotion for this gig has been quite poor though - I'd have expected to hear more about it.

Haha right. You should always quote so as to not be misunderstood....

I don't think the Law are any more popular than they were when we supported them in 2007, so I can't really see them pulling much of a crowd to be honest. But for the sake of the gig and the bands involved, I hope they do manage a reasonable crowd.

The promotion for this gig has been quite poor though - I'd have expected to hear more about it.

Ive actually seen a few posters and flyers about for this.

Promo cant be that bad.

-

Ive actually seen a few posters and flyers about for this.

Promo cant be that bad.

-

Hmmm, maybe I should stop walking around with my eyes closed ;)

Midweek bump!

8 for three bands is indeed good value in these cash-strapped times :up:

Or not! 8 for a headline of that standard (I dont mean in terms of ability - thats up to the individual) is pretty steep. Theyve done very little and are hardly up there with the likes of sell out gigs at likes of Moshulu and Tunnels of bands with a decent history, which yoiu would generally get for 5-10.

Lemon Tree prices are generally very expensive in my opinion.

The Law cant be on much more than 100 for the show so Id say 5 would have been far fairer.

Just an opinion though. I always fel more people at a decent rate is better than a few people at expensive prices.

No wonder the Lemon Tree do so poorly! 50 @ 5, in turn spending approximately 10 at the bar makes better maths than 20 @ 8 spending the same 10 at the bar.

Crazy!

Nobody wants to see it go under again but at these rates - instead of a much better value for money rate like 5 for the Exposure nights, or the entrance fee to Drever, McKusker and Woomble - it seems like it will

I have to agree that this is a bit pricey to be honest. But, saying that, I reckon The Law would have been a bit more than 100 to book (just guessing though obviously).

The problem is they won't be popular enough to fill a place like the Lemon Tree up at any price, so what the venue has probably done is just upped the price on the presumption that fans of the Law will go whether its a fiver or whether it's 8. But, local bands will have a certain pull, especially if at the Lemon Tree. They make an extra effort if they're getting a support slot and especially at a place like the Lemon Tree, but folk won't want to pay 8 just to see their mate's band. Had the price been 4/5 you could be speaking about an extra 30 or so folk per local band.

We had a similar experience when supporting Dodgy. Told loads of folk about it who thought it was really cool (I'm talking about people who are as old as me...), but the tickets were 15, so hardly anyone was willing to pay that to see Dodgy who hadn't done anything for years. On the day of the gig Moshulu decided to stick on a guestlist because the ticket sales were so low. We got about 50 folk through the door just on that day alone. If tickets had been 5/6 we would probably have sold about 40 extra tickets at that price. But, as was said at the time, the price was set by Barfly head office and not Moshulu, who would have priced it more sensibly.

That said, I'm sure The Law will get a decent pull, not a sell out by any stretch of the imagination. But I've heard plenty of people getting excited about the Law, saying "THEY'RE GOING TO BE THE NEXT VIEW" and all that good stuff.

Couple of hundred punters through the door I'd imagine :)