aberdeen-music

Record Store Day

FatHand

Didn't anyone pick up any of the special Record Store Day releases from One-Up today? I got the two Sonic Youth split 7"s and Tom Waits live one :) Got down there before work so they hadnt been put on display so didnt get to have a browse to see what else I missed though...

What were the Sonic Youth 7" singles?

I'l come clean and say that I don't actually have mine yet, getting them sent to me from doon south (I fucking hope so anyway)

One split with Beck and one with Jay Reatard apparently

Did go into One Up early afternoon though and they didn't have much of the special stuff left as far as I could see, only 500 copies of the Sonic Youth ones made it to the UK.

Which makes me wonder if my 'mate' will 'lose them in the post' somehow :laughing:

i think some of the stuff didn't arrive in time, could be wrong though

I spoke to one of the guys in Avalanche about this and he said as far as he as aware almost nothing got to the UK. Clearly, some stuff did make it.

I really fancied the Jesus Lizard 9 x 7" boxset thing, anyone know if One-Up got one in? It appears to be Ebay fodder like everything else already. Even those Sonic Youth 7"s are going for a bit. Mince. :(

I really fancied the Jesus Lizard 9 x 7" boxset thing, anyone know if One-Up got one in? It appears to be Ebay fodder like everything else already. Even those Sonic Youth 7"s are going for a bit. Mince. :(

Yeah, the JL 7" set was in One Up - it's in plastic sleeves & folds out so you can hang it on the wall. They were selling it at 35.

"Ebay fodder" is exactly what all this is - the Beck / SY 7" is costing about 40 there and the Pavement LP is about 30 (both with postage.. roughly).

It sucks that some people will have just bought the records to sell on ebay, and the people that really wanted the records might have missed out. I'd be rubbish at doing that as I can't part with things, although I've noticed a signed copy of Muse's Muscle Museum going for about 100 on ebay which I got for 99p. I might be tempted to part with that one day purely for the fact I only bought the single when I was 13 until I could afford the album.

Rough Trade did a compilation tape called C09 which you can get for 2 (+1 postage) from the Rough Trade website with new tracks by Jarvis, Jeffrey Lewis, British Sea Power, The Decemberists etc. Loads of cool bands and the novelty of buying it on cassette too.

is there not something a bit weird about the guys behind this saying "were dealing with real, live, physical, indie record stores", only to be sponsored by Warner Bros. Records?

I dunno, it doesn't make the shops any less independent, I'd say it's a good sign too that the big players are still supporting the indie record stores, even if part of the reason is a PR exercise (but then what big sponsorship isn't, in part?).

• 3 years later...