aberdeen-music

Our Website is up and running at last!!!

Flash@TMB

well, site took me about 5 seconds to load the start and 10 for after that

The site design, however, isnt as good as it could be. for example, there are several elements added which are unnecessary, and probably the reason the sutes runs slowly [eg Upcoming events, the red, blue etc glows, unneeded, and quite ugly compared to the old site feel]

The navigation is nice, but why not make the text the same colouring / style as the logo rather than a really washed out, sickly looking version?

Some of the flash elements also load out of sync with each other, like when you load the pages up, they jitter around a fair bit.

I'm not a huge fan of flash based websites as they are quite out dated and load hellishly slow... html/javascript with flash elements built in IMO would have worked better

On a plus note tho, the styling is very nice, very Avenged Sevenfold.

^^ but thats all seen through the eyes of a Graphic Design student looking for things that would look better updated, not all necessary, I'm quite picky :p

but overall yeah, nice site, shame about the loading

Umm... from a computing students point of view, i'm gonna have to disagree quite strongly with the "Flash based websites are outdated" comment. Infact, i think its quite the opposite. I feel they are well ahead of their time, which, imo, is why they've never really taken off. Infact, sooner or later, I reckon almost all proffesional websites will be flash based. As soon as internet speeds catch up...

x

Umm... from a computing students point of view, i'm gonna have to disagree quite strongly with the "Flash based websites are outdated" comment. Infact, i think its quite the opposite. I feel they are well ahead of their time, which, imo, is why they've never really taken off. Infact, sooner or later, I reckon almost all proffesional websites will be flash based. As soon as internet speeds catch up...

x

Actually, I have to agree with aekido - modern websites have a greater emphasis on content entry, and a pure-Flash website just doesn't cut it. You are severely limiting what you can do with your site, and updating it is more hassle than it's worth compared to a HTML/PHP or CMS-based site.

Actually, I have to agree with aekido - modern websites have a greater emphasis on content entry, and a pure-Flash website just doesn't cut it. You are severely limiting what you can do with your site, and updating it is more hassle than it's worth compared to a HTML/PHP or CMS-based site.

The website has a built in content management system where we can enter whatever text and jpegs we want, then press save. One of the design specs was for it to be as low maintenance as possible.

Yeah, its not as if flash is going to have to sit and recode the site every time he wants to update the gigs section... In my opinion, it has all the functionality (minus loading times) of an html website plus greater asthetic. In time, the loading time part shouldn't be such a problem.

x

I have no idea, but it would seem the logical thing to assume given the information cited in this thread.

Let's not go assuming now. I'm sure Cloud will be along to set the record straight. If Cloud is indeed in Poland, this is exciting news and Aberdeen Music doubtless will be eager to hear more about his new life there.

The other thing we need is some MP3s for the jukebox feature. We'll kick off with our catalogue of live recordings, but might also be open to some local band studio tracks too. Don't mail bomb me for fucks sake!

Feel free to rip some of the tracks off that Cobra Kai CD I gave you if you want to use 'em. We are playing our 4th Fudge night this Saturday. We're virtually Moorings veterans.

A feature like this would be a pretty cool addition to the site:

CBGB Online - Home of Underground Rock - Virtual Tour

Thanks for that link I loved going through that.

It's amazing how similar the size / layout / dimensions of CBGB and The Moorings are. The major difference being that their toilets are an on the LHS of their stage as opposed to the RHS.