aberdeen-music

The Social Chameleons - a breath of fresh air.......

What Scene?

I know I've posted about this band before but they've posted up a couple of new tunes on their MySpace page - I think they're ace, especially the tune 'Write A Story'. From up Hopeman, Elgin way. Has anyone else seen them live or like their stuff? Their MySpace page is:

the social chameleons on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Definitely worth a look.

Guest idol_wild

Maaaan, I just saw "Chameleons" and got all excited.

I love The Chameleons.

Anyway, this is a pointless post so I'll nip it in the bud right now.

Guest idol_wild
Britpop. What you mean like 'Girls who are boys, Who like boys to be girls Who do boys like they're girls, Who do girls like they're boys'? Can't see it myself!

No. I mean like sounding like a combination of Oasis, The Bluetones and Shed Seven. But with a strange high-pitched voice.

The second track in particular reminded me entirely of the first two Oasis albums.

And back then Oasis were trying to sound like The Beatles being covered by Ride. Which is sort of what these guys sound like to an extent. The tambourine shake at the end of the first track on their myspace player made me quiver a little bit.

But good luck to them. I am not their demographic. I'm sure they'll appeal to the masses.

Ok, I see. I like the melodies and the summery pop feel. More from the La's, Coral, Sergeant and C86-scene kinda angle I was thinking. I can't see the Oasis etc thing at all. But alas, 'tis the beauty of music! 8-) That's what it's all about though. Having a listen and seeing what you think.

The Beatles being covered by my favourite band Ride - bliss!!! :up:

The Chameleons should've been huge, I don't know why they weren't to be honest.

Guest idol_wild
The Chameleons should've been huge, I don't know why they weren't to be honest.

Because people preferred U2.

Cunts.

That's not to say I dislike early U2 - far from it. But The Chameleons shat all over most bands around that time. As did The Sound, who were also criminally overlooked.

Indeed, it is alledged that the reason their singer killed himself was because he couldn't believe U2 were bigger than his band!

Guest Tam o' Shantie

no, i speak for myself actually.

must admit though, joking aside, i haven't actually listened to the tracks - just made the comment for a laugh. however, when you introduce a band by saying "a breath of fresh air" you are immediately making people like me skeptical. one look at the promo shots reveals a group of teenagers who look like they have just returned from a Paul Weller lookalike contest, and everyone's comments on this thread indicate exactly what I suspected, that this 'original and fresh' sounding band actually sound like a dull 90s britpop cover band.

your persistent replies and offense to my dig also betray the fact that you are obviously a member of the band or one of their mates, which makes it even sadder.

IMO - this band dont have good enough songs or anything about them to be classed as a 'breath of fresh air' or to be hyped up at all - thats leaving yourself open to all the criticism received (most of which is warranted & fair). They obviously have styled themselves on Seargant / the Bluetones etc. but if thats what they are into - fair enough...

However as noted - they look young, so have plenty of time to get a haircut, write something decent and be themselves....

Mate, they were recommended to me!! I just get annoyed sometimes on this site with dismissive sarcastic replies (and yes, guilty of that meself m'lud!). At least in your next post you've actually explained why you don't like them, which I respect.

Growing up in Aberdeen, all my adult life I've been waiting for something to happen musically that genuinely excites me - there have been one or two flashes - but on the whole there's not been a lot. I really don't know why, given the size of the city and the talented musicians we have. Even Dundee's had it!! A buzz, a stir, anything!

Even though probably 99% of the users of this forum hate The View, for example, they created a buzz, a stir, and put Dundee on the map. NME front covers, videos, tours etc etc. And all that started from a bunch of kids, handing Pete Doherty a demo tape at a gig - and then subsequently getting arrested! I completely accept that a lot of forum users here are not interested in this kind of thing, but I think it's great for a city.

So here, with this band - though I admit, not from Aberdeen, and the argument probably falls at this point (!!!!) - I hear a bunch of kids trying to make - what I would term - really catchy music that has the potential to appeal to the masses. And then I think, ah, that's not bad, better keep an eye out for them.

So to me, I thought it did sound like a breath of fresh air, that's all. I could be completely wrong of course, but I like them! Just a sucker for pop culture, that's all!

Guest idol_wild
Mate, they were recommended to me!! I just get annoyed sometimes on this site with dismissive sarcastic replies (and yes, guilty of that meself m'lud!). At least in your next post you've actually explained why you don't like them, which I respect.

Growing up in Aberdeen, all my adult life I've been waiting for something to happen musically that genuinely excites me - there have been one or two flashes - but on the whole there's not been a lot. I really don't know why, given the size of the city and the talented musicians we have. Even Dundee's had it!! A buzz, a stir, anything!

Even though probably 99% of the users of this forum hate The View, for example, they created a buzz, a stir, and put Dundee on the map. NME front covers, videos, tours etc etc. And all that started from a bunch of kids, handing Pete Doherty a demo tape at a gig - and then subsequently getting arrested! I completely accept that a lot of forum users here are not interested in this kind of thing, but I think it's great for a city.

So here, with this band - though I admit, not from Aberdeen, and the argument probably falls at this point (!!!!) - I hear a bunch of kids trying to make - what I would term - really catchy music that has the potential to appeal to the masses. And then I think, ah, that's not bad, better keep an eye out for them.

So to me, I thought it did sound like a breath of fresh air, that's all. I could be completely wrong of course, but I like them! Just a sucker for pop culture, that's all!

So there are no other Aberdeen-based acts that you've seen/heard/liked then?

Oh absolutely, there have been plenty of bands that I have liked and really enjoyed going to see over the years - Phonefreak, Lady Mercedes, Star, Stuka etc - but my point is that I've always longed for a band to make a real breakthrough and really put Aberdeen on the map. I think it's scandalous for a city of our size that nothing's really happened. Of course, it doesn't have a divine right. As I say, pop culture and all its facets fascinates me (try saying that after a few shandies!!!) and I truly hope that one day, there will be an NME cover band for example, or a big feature on Aberdeen as the next movement or something, you know what I mean?

It really baffles me actually!!!!

Guest idol_wild
Oh absolutely, there have been plenty of bands that I have liked and really enjoyed going to see over the years - Phonefreak, Lady Mercedes, Star, Stuka etc - but my point is that I've always longed for a band to make a real breakthrough and really put Aberdeen on the map. I think it's scandalous for a city of our size that nothing's really happened. Of course, it doesn't have a divine right. As I say, pop culture and all its facets fascinates me (try saying that after a few shandies!!!) and I truly hope that one day, there will be an NME cover band for example, or a big feature on Aberdeen as the next movement or something, you know what I mean?

It really baffles me actually!!!!

But very very few Aberdeen bands and artists work hard enough for it, though. Plus, it's geographically out on a limb, and expecting something to start up here is a bit silly as it's a city built up of culturally apathetic people; it's a middle-class city focused upon maintaining it's wealth.

Music is not important to the vast majority of the local catchment area. There's a lot of good music going on up here but just not enough interested people in the city for it to spark off.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I think this discussion has been had many a time before, and must warn you, that quite a lot of people on this site are away to shoot you down, repeatedly, until you go away or just simply agree with them.

It seems to be the way...

I haven't given the Social Chameleons a proper listen for a while actually. They contacted me and I listened at the time and remember thinking they were decent indie music. I wouldn't go as far as to say a breath of fresh air, but I also thought they were good enough to go see at a gig or whatever. That was probably 6 months ago though, so they may be far better now. I'm away to bed, so will give listening to them a miss at the moment, until I have more time to listen properly.

I'll check them out next time they're in Aberdeen, hell, I might even book them ;)

Your cultural commentary is spot on there, you can almost feel it growing up. I hate to use the word graveyard given that there are plenty of good musicians but that's what I've always felt Aberdeen is like. I still don't think it's completely outwith the realms of possibility for a local act to cause a bit of a stir - as I've said with Dundee - but it never seems to happen! Maybe that band is around the corner, who knows.

There are certainly enough music lovers in the city and surroundings to at least jump on the bandwagon should a local act make a breakthrough - one needs only to look at the sell-out crowds at the Music Hall and AECC gigs etc to show this. But in terms of creating that initial buzz when a band is starting out, then, yeah, apathy is a good word.

Driveblind is another band that I really liked, come to think of it. Forgot about them! I remember them supporting The Charlatans at The Music Hall after seeing them a few times before and was blown away. That was a definite 'Yes' moment growing up. And they pissed on the main support Chikinki who were terrible!!!!!!!

Some more of that would be good. Just something! 8-)