aberdeen-music

Making Phone Calls to Other Countries

Jeanette

I'm planning on phoning my friend, who's currently in Australia, this weekend.

Anyone got any tips on how to make this call cheaper than the usual rates. I'll be phoning mobile to mobile.

Found this website via moneysavingexpert.com, but I'm not sure if it's sound - especially since it asks for card details.

Welcome to 18185.co.uk: UK's Leading Telephone Discounter!

:)

There's a site somewhere called Rebtel that does the job. There's a way that you can get the calls for free, and they tell you how to do it on the website.

Other than that, Skype will let you call mobiles or landlines at the cost of 0.014p or 0.012p per minute respectively but the minimum top-up is 10 unless you sign up for the 3-per-month-unlimited-calls package (which will only allow you to call landlines I think).

Guest treader.

Can't you get your friend to just use Skype normally!? and speak that way!?

Not exactly the most amazing experience depending on connection, but cost freeeeeeeee.

I'm planning on phoning my friend, who's currently in Australia, this weekend.

Anyone got any tips on how to make this call cheaper than the usual rates. I'll be phoning mobile to mobile.

Found this website via moneysavingexpert.com, but I'm not sure if it's sound - especially since it asks for card details.

Welcome to 18185.co.uk: UK's Leading Telephone Discounter!

:)

My mum makes a hell of a lot of calls to Canada and she uses that one. Mums tend to be a tad thrifty so I imagine that's a good deal.

No bugger I know ever signs into their Skype including me.

I'm gonna give the Rebtel a go. Apparently if I call my friend on the local number and she hangs up within 10 seconds and calls me on her local number for me then the call will be completely free... any minutes used would just come out of my contract.

It could all fail miserably. But I won't really lose any money because I'm not putting credit on anything, so if needs must I'll just have to phone her back normally and see what the damage is!!

I'm gonna give the Rebtel a go. Apparently if I call my friend on the local number and she hangs up within 10 seconds and calls me on her local number for me then the call will be completely free... any minutes used would just come out of my contract.

It could all fail miserably. But I won't really lose any money because I'm not putting credit on anything, so if needs must I'll just have to phone her back normally and see what the damage is!!

It worked the couple of times I used it to call my girlfriend in America a couple of summers ago, but could be a wee bit ropey. Good luck!