aberdeen-music

Ambassador to be turned into flats

Free Korps

only found out this week but old news, not sure when it's happening but guess i'll have to find somewhere else to play...

From city council site...

John Street flats plan approved

Forty new flats are to be built on the site of an Aberdeen snooker club.

Aberdeen City Council's planning committee unanimously approved the planning application for the site of the Ambassador Snooker Club, vacant industrial units and an empty tenement block.

The site was the subject of a similar application late last year for 50 flats, which councillors turned down because the plans did not include enough off-street parking space.

Permission has been granted for the site to be cleared to make way for five blocks of flats, four storeys high. There will be one single-bedroom flat, 28 two-bedroom properties and 11 three-bedroom flats. All the upper floor apartments are to have balconies.

The blocks will be arranged to form a landscaped square to the rear and 69 parking spaces will be provided for residents.

Planning convener Scott Cassie said: "This development will help to breathe life back into the area, while replacing the snooker club building, which has long been an eyesore, with much needed granite flats close to the city centre.

"The applicants have clearly taken on board the decision by the committee on the previous application and provided more car parking to alleviate the pressures on the area."

Apparently they tried last year too

The site was the subject of a similar application late last year for 50 flats, which councillors turned down because the plans did not include enough off-street parking space.

Head of planning and infrastructure Dr Margaret Bochel writes: "The development would replace buildings that, generally, present a scruffy and poorly maintained face to the street."

Guest idol_wild
I almost got a hiding once from some burly Eastern Europeans after stumbling into the middle of a drug deal in the gents in there.

Yeah, sorry about that...

Guest idol_wild
He is a drug dealer who frequents toilets though.

Exactly. I was the one hiding behind the cubicle door.

I was like, "SHIT! There's that Alky-boy, if he sees me he'll tell the whole of aberdeen-music that I am a drug-dealer...batter him, men, batter him!"

They obviously bottled it, though. And that's the reason I distrust Eastern Europeans.

Guest treader.
Exactly. I was the one hiding behind the cubicle door.

I was like, "SHIT! There's that Alky-boy, if he sees me he'll tell the whole of aberdeen-music that I am a drug-dealer...batter him, men, batter him!"

They obviously bottled it, though. And that's the reason I distrust Eastern Europeans.

It happens to the best of us. The Triads?!

This is awful news. The ambassador is one of my favourite places in Aberdeen. Guaranteed a table and a decent pint. Also great for watching the football. Everyone says its a bit dodgy but I've never had any trouble in there, its just the look of some of the folk who frequent the place.

they've fairly downsized the place these days, the snooker & pool tables are all at the main bar, not sure if there's any left (or used) upstairs.

the tables they have aren't actually as bad as you'd expect so perhaps they're using the best ones or they've re-clothed some.

the place used to be packed out in my student days, you'd go in early to get a table then wonder why it's still light outside when you're half cut and leaving. in fact it was the place to start a night out regardless of where you were going later... and a bit random but the gents disabled cubicle hasn't had a lock on it for at least the past 5 years.

• 4 months later...

anyone know when the place will be closed down?

i don't like to ask while i'm in there but may have to drop subtle hints or pretend i heard a rumour, just in case it's a touchy subject...

ps was going to book a table at Rileys for a free hour taster but it says the place is no longer operated by Rileys, anyone know who runs it, if it's still open?

Rileys Aberdeen, Chapel Street - Play Pool, Snooker and Poker in a modern Rileys Club near you.

anyone know when the place will be closed down?

i don't like to ask while i'm in there but may have to drop subtle hints or pretend i heard a rumour, just in case it's a touchy subject...

ps was going to book a table at Rileys for a free hour taster but it says the place is no longer operated by Rileys, anyone know who runs it, if it's still open?

Rileys Aberdeen, Chapel Street - Play Pool, Snooker and Poker in a modern Rileys Club near you.

Rileys changed hands a while ago, and they've now shut Chapel Street. You have to go to Bridge Street now.

Cadonas has Virtual Striker. Best game. I love how useless the keepers are, except the CPU's keeper, who is unstoppable.

My tried and tested tactic is to play for the draw, then beat them on pens. If you try and score against the CPU, they'll just brutally expose your back four time and time again.

Mind you, if you can get a decent cross in, you should be able to score - it's as bad as FIFA 2001 for that :/

Where are some good Pool Halls in the city centre? and how do they work, turn up put your coin in the table, rent the table or what? Got my college timetable today and appears i have nearly three hours to kill one lunchtime.

depends really, ambass has both tables, small bar type are the ones you put the money in and just pay each game, the bigger american ones you pay a 10 depost and charged a rate depending on how long

just dina go into any old bar and rack them up, some places does winner stays on which can be a bit annoying if your just wanting a game with your mates

Pubs and clubs that do Winner stays on are well shit. They are usually burley regulars who will try and con you n'all. At Grand Central in Manchester, I got 7 balled, because I'm shite and just wanted a game with my friend. He said the 7 ball ritual was to crawl under the table, from one side to the other. I thought he was kidding, so I playfully told him to "Get fucked". I think it stopped being a joke there. I thought I was going to get knifed, so I did the manliest thing at my disposal and fucking legged it.