aberdeen-music

Norman's Fetish, The 44's & Howard's Alias

*Amy*

OK, I can't find another thread about last nights gig and I just wanted to say a few words.

I'm sure I've been to all Norman's Fetish gig so far, and last night was the most impressive. From start to finish I was bopping my head along with the rest of the crowd. Christina and Rachael's voices came across brilliantly and the other girls were great too.

A big thumbs up for that! I'm looking forward to seeing them again with Misled Youth and The Supatones this Wednesday the 23rd at Drakes. Doors 7.30, 4. :D

Now, The 44's... do these guys do bad shows? No. Every time they are awesome and almost always blow away the headliners. They should be huge already!

I didn't know what to expect from Howard's Alias after reading a few mixed reviews. But, oh my, they were super duper! They put on one hell of a show, and the singer's voice was bloody good. I bought myself their new album which is rather good. I'll be looking forward to seeing them again.

Overall, a fine gig. :partyboy:

Guest Keira

yus twas a fine gig so it was

normans fetish, really liked the first song, think they should play more stuff along the lines of that... :up:

44's. well, could they get any better?! i agree with amy, they should indeed be huge, theyd better come back soon!

and erm howards alias.. i didnt stay downstairs for them, but have one song which is pretty snazz

all in all, great gig, nice 'n ska

Guest Nikola Tesla

That night was quite a pleasant surprise for me. I really though normans fetish should have stuck to the style of the first song. The 44's were also a pleasant surprise, they were a lot better live than on record. The other band i missed due to staying up stairs but they didnt sound up to much imo. All in all a pretty cool gig.

ace, shall be there. norman's fetish were really good. thought it was a bit of a strange song to choose to open with but it worked quite well and i really enjoyed the set, second time seeing them and they were as good as the last.

i have seen the 44's quite a good number of times now and am yet to be disappointed. the energy they have on stage is amazing, and when they stopped and everyone sang "evening spread" was brilliant. it probably wasn't the best time i have seen them but they were still excellent. could anyone, ross perhaps, shed any light on the "new cd" that was mentioned as being available in the not too distant future.

howards alias were absolutely amazing. they have now joined my list of the best live bands i have seen. i saw them with rx bandits in april but they were even better on saturday, possibly due to me knowing more of the songs now. anyway, they were jsut mind-blowingly good. the last song in the set, and on the album, "the end" was an amazing finish to an excellent set. the new album is stunning, and should make howards alias one of the biggest ska/punk bands in the uk.

Normans Fetish-Brilliant. Can really see big things for this band. My favourite has to be "something's going down" such a catchy song.

44's- Hell I knew they were gonna rock and they did that. Perhaps the best ska band Ive listened to. The second last song(forgotten what it is called as i dont have my cd with me was probably the best moment that night with everyone singing along).

Howard's Alias-Wasn't too sure what to expect but glad I stayed. Kind of Diverse Ska with Emo stylings(dont shoot me if you disagree). The singer had an amazing voice and fairly rocking about. Was so special when teh singer was singing awa from the microphone and the audience was so quiet you could hear him-very intimate.

Yeah, that was Evening Spread. but the crowd have sung it way louder before!

I was talking to Timmy today about Howard's Alias' singer. I totally agree about it being intimate, even chilling. It was great. And you're right about the emo stylings that fitted in all the right places. They striked me as being a more tame version of the RX Bandits which is nice.

But yeat again, why did a heap of people leave after The 44's? Do people not want to get the most out of 5? People are willing to watch the same local bands - or ones that are often up here - over again but show no interest or respect for bands that have bothered to travel up here. It's not as if gigs at Kef finish late - I managed to get the second last bus home. And standing upstairs... that's just as bad.

I thought Normans fetish put on a good show. Confidence and talent will get them a long way. Seen them twice now and have been impressed both times.

The 44s, Well what can i say that han't already been said? These guys are great. True performers. If they don't make it in the ska 'scene' then god knows what you have to do. I loved the performance and when the crowd sang along to evening spread i was thouroughly impressed. Well doen that band.

Howards Alias, not knowing what to expect i was a lil dissapointed to begin with. Soon enough thought they grew on me and i was very impressed. They deserved a better crowd than what they got. What was with his weird hand movements though? Or was it just me that thought it was a bit weird?

Anyway all in all it was a top gig and i was kinda dissapointed i had to go home in the end.

I'm not exaclty saying anything that hasn't already been said but here goes...

Norman's Fetish - Was thoroughly impressed by the ladies that night. Was pretty much solid all the way through (apart from one song i didn't really like, but that's just me) and there were some of the most amazing vocal parts going on that i had heard in a LONG time. The second and last songs were highlights for me personally, that and the moment in the opener when rach held the night for nigh on an eternity, *insert gob smacked smiley* - t'was ace!

The 44's - Proved themsleves to be one of the best unsigned bands in scotland at the present time with a set that just didn't give up the pace all the way through. I was standing behind a couple for some of the set at the stairs, and when everyone sang during 'evening press' one turned to the other and mouthed a 'wow' - which kinda says it all really.

Howard's Alias - Who are these people? Norman? Howard? is Howard's alias Norman inorder to avoid revealing his fetish? (you can see where i'm going with this) Anyways, i only caught some of their set as i became engaged in conversation upstairs and didn't realise they had come on. But i'm not sure what i heard really appealed to me. The guys voice was good, the playing was good, the songs were probably good (i can't currently remember) but i felt the final presentation equaled less than the sum of it's parts. Plus the lead singer didn't really seem to be boiling with charisma in between songs, which was a let down considering the energy of the support acts.

Overall it was a dandy evening in total, with one of the strongest supporting line ups i've heard in a while. 5 was still a bit steep but left feeling pretty darn happy.

The 44s are currently recording a 3/4 track Ep. It's undecided at present if it will be released to the general public I think, but i'm sure Iain will clarify that one...

Also, watch out for a 1up instore appearence in the near future.

I thought they were great, but i'm so biased no-one should listen to me...

I thought Norman's Fetish were pretty good and showed a lot of potential, but I thought it showed that it was only their 3rd gig. I would hope that in time they will become a lot tighter, and that the brass would begin to sound a bit more integrated with the rest of the sound, and not just sound like it's been stuck in for the sake of it. But don't get me wrong - I really like them.

I thought HA were okay, but nothing special. Top guys though.

Was listening to "The Haunted Fairground...and other tales" Ep by 44's and Moron Conglomerate especially and just thinking how fucking special it is as soon as they open with that the whole crowd jsut go crazy its one of those thigns that make you smile.

Bit sentimental there...

Norman's Fetish and the 44's weren't my cup of tae although the singing in Norman's Fetish was deesc and the 44's well................................they just fancy themsevles too much.

but Howard's Alias, HOOOOOOOOLEEEEEEEEEEESHEEIT. They were totally awesome and beat the shit outta the 44's in a violent manner on all counts. Also the singer was amazing aswell you could totally tell he was well into what he was doing and I'd like to say a big fuck you to those people who were mocking him standing behind me.

Can you expand on 'they just fancy themselves too much'.... :p

I just thought that HA had absolutly nothing new to offer. There are a dozen other bands on household name etc producing the same sound and doing it better. The album is the same. It's fine but I can never see myself thinking 'wow, I really want to listen to HA right now!'. I am really loathe to slag them off because I thought they were really sound guys, but I can't see them getting anywhere.

i can honestly say i think exactly the opposite. also, i love the 44s. anyway, i see howards alias doing something quite different from any other band on the uk ska/punk scene and i think the album highlights this, especially compared to the last album. "the answer is never" is, in my opinion, absolutely stunning and i haven't been so excited about an album from household name etc. for quite some time. this is again highlighted by the excellent reviews its been getting on punktastic and its forums. however, everyone can see this from a different view so you are quite right to think what you think.