aberdeen-music

Wrestlemania 25

Dayeth

Only decent matches were the HBK-Taker and what was effectively Steamboat-Jerico. Disappointed in CM Punk winning MITB, didn't really care about HHH-Orton and by the looks of it neither did the fans at the event. Not surprised by JBL quitting.

The tag title match being missing kinda explains the excessive time Kid Rock was given.

The tag title match being missing kinda explains the excessive time Kid Rock was given.

Which was really awful. I even made a joke about Kid Rock coming on and doing a horrible medley before I knew anything about it.

Agreed on the Taker/HBK match being decent. Everything else was a waste of time, except five minutes of Austin dicking around.

Worst 'Mania I've seen. It was an utter atrocity. Glad some of you are interested - I started writing about it but it turned into a brief "review":

I was really looking forward to the unification tag match, which I've read was very good but it was just a joke that it was pulled. If I'd paid for the show I'd be wanting my money back. They'd built this match up so well week after week on ECW and Smackdown, even getting the guys valets in the process, splitting the twins up etc. A great feud - I'd been enjoying it very much and the wrestling has been great between these 4 - in fact some of the best i've seen in ages in terms of tag matches, so to pull it is just unforgiveable. Particularly when 10 + minutes of Kid Rock infects the show in lieu.

Money in the Bank was just a few spots and a massive fuck up from Shelton. It was embarassing for him when he just had to powerbomb MVP out of the ring. Why do they change the name of the Unprettier to the "Killswitch" only for the 3 commentators to call it the Unprettier again? You really wonder why they bother. Kofi must be maimed after World's Strongest Slam to the ladder. Punk winning again was sour.

The Divas "match" was abominable beyond belief - Santio has lost all the humour he's built up over the past few months. The fact they never let on he was there was beyond awful. The fact this car crash began before the camera was off Kid Rock sums it up for me.

Snuka and Piper should be taken out the back and shot like Old Yeller to put the two out of their miseries. Snuka in particular shouldn't even be allowed out. Piper's "dropkick" was the worst thing I've seen in a ring. Ever. I get the feeling Jericho and Steamboat could have put together a fair match together given time, but it was not to be. It was agonising waiting for Rourke to come in and deliever the inevitable "knockout blow" - did he really have to take 10 minutes to do it? So lame.

Hardy v Hardy was a letdown. Nothing special. Matt in tights is hilarious. Good evil finisher onto the chair, though. JR's comments were laughably crap. Did anyone else feel JR was off the ball most of the show? Anyway, not what most probably had in mind for a Team Extreme extreme rules match.

JBL v Mysterio was another waste of fucking time. Just why? And why was Rey dressed like the bloody Joker? To symbloise this joke of a wrestling match? You could tell the story was booked 3 weeks ago. Bye bye JBL.

HBK v Taker was good but I got pissed off with the amount of chops HBK was using as constant fucking offence. It was just chop, chop, chop. The only thing that made it "big time" was the kickouts to the finishers. For me anyway, it was a good match, but not THE GREATEST EVER like I've been reading.

The triple threat was okay - nothing special. Could see Cena winning it weeks ago so no surprises. Certainly not a 'Mania level match, though.

RKO v HHH was a big let down - for the showpiece of the event it was just flat. "Spoiler" finishes always piss me off but for this, the big one? Just a big let down.

Glad to see they emphasied how unworthy the other HOF inductees were by letting them all look like idiots while Stone Cold paraded about on a quad scoofing beer. Granted, he's the biggest draw of all time, but just have him out on his own and not leave other, better wrestlers like the Funks and Steamboat standing there like complete dicks watching him take the spotlight. It would have been better if the others came out first and had their moment, left, then Stone Cold came out. The segment in the ring went on too long for my liking as well. It was getting a bit laboured.

All in all, a major disappointment. Glad I resisted the temptation to part with 15 hard earned bucks in the end!!

Money in the Bank was just a few spots and a massive fuck up from Shelton. It was embarassing for him when he just had to powerbomb MVP out of the ring.

I think it was more that MVP held onto the ladder rather than Shelton fucked the move up. Had it been any other person that he was powerbombing it would have went smoothly (obv not Kane or Mark Henry, although that would have been fantastic).

I was really looking forward to the unification tag match, which I've read was very good but it was just a joke that it was pulled. If I'd paid for the show I'd be wanting my money back. They'd built this match up so well week after week on ECW and Smackdown, even getting the guys valets in the process, splitting the twins up etc. A great feud - I'd been enjoying it very much and the wrestling has been great between these 4 - in fact some of the best i've seen in ages in terms of tag matches, so to pull it is just unforgiveable. Particularly when 10 + minutes of Kid Rock infects the show in lieu.

!

Good review Marsh! The fact the Tag-Title unification was left off also diminishes the reputation of the tag-team division as a whole. It's becoming much like how the cruiserweight title was used...

Defintaly the worst Wrestlemania Ive ever seen, Christian not winning the MITB was a disgrace. C.M Punk has been a joke the last year and it doesnt exacty make him look very threatening.

Dispite Jericho winning which I thought was the highlight why did they make Wrestling look so bad with an actor knocking Jericho out in one punch after this guy had just beat up 3 ledgends. Thought it would have made a lot more sense if Stone Cold had done this thing at this point rather than wasting 5 minutes later on.

Kid Rock getting that amount of time was the worst thing I have ever seen at a Wrestlemania. Enough saidabout that

The ending to the Triple H-Orton match was a major anti-climax ecspecially the way they built it up.

I used to watch wrestling as a kid, and whilst I'm fully aware it was completely turd, it surely wasn't as embarassing as it is these days. I've occasionaly caught glimpses of that love triangle between some broad, the dead tall one, and Edge I think he's called when I'm flicking the sports channels (why the hell is it on sports channels?). Terrible. It's like a soap opera written by inbred retarded children with no limbs.

That dead tall one seems to have a finishing move of just "punching" them in the face. Why adopt such a move which looks so ridiculously fake? At least all that grappling suplex nonsense involves being slammed to the ground and stuff. But here he's just stamping his foot and brushing his hand past him. Whatever next? Maybe they'll pull out guns and go HUH-HUH-HUH-HUH with their mouths to simulate rapid gun fire.

Gay burlesque.

Guest treader.

Bret Hart has fought in 4 of my favourite 'all-time' wrestling fights:

Bret Hart vs 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper - Wrestlemania 8

Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 12 (Iron Man)

Bret Hart vs Stone Cold - as pictured above (Wrestlemania....13?! 14?! 10!? i don't know)

Bret Hart vs Chris Benoit - WCW Thunder (Tribute Match for Owen Hart)

I used to watch wrestling as a kid, and whilst I'm fully aware it was completely turd, it surely wasn't as embarassing as it is these days. I've occasionaly caught glimpses of that love triangle between some broad, the dead tall one, and Edge I think he's called when I'm flicking the sports channels (why the hell is it on sports channels?). Terrible. It's like a soap opera written by inbred retarded children with no limbs.

That dead tall one seems to have a finishing move of just "punching" them in the face. Why adopt such a move which looks so ridiculously fake? At least all that grappling suplex nonsense involves being slammed to the ground and stuff. But here he's just stamping his foot and brushing his hand past him. Whatever next? Maybe they'll pull out guns and go HUH-HUH-HUH-HUH with their mouths to simulate rapid gun fire.

Gay burlesque.

As shown in explicit detail when the scripts to Raw were leaked a month ago - it certainly is a rehearsed, very scripted soap opera nowadays written by retearded scriptwriters, one of whom happens to be a racist muthafucker.

Simple way to avoid getting expasterated by it - don't stop to watch it when you're flicking. It's on a sports channel as it's "sports entertainment." the "other brand" is on Bravo but I've heard folk moan about it being on that too, so you cannae win.

Bret Hart was the best wrestler EVER!

I thought he was awesome when I was a young un.

Not seen wrestling for years although judging by this thread i'm not missing much.

On the contrary, it's been fucking ace lately - that's why 'Mania was such a disappointment. If the build up had been cack since last May there would have been zero expectation, but the fact there have been so many red hot feuds / storytelling / matches lately just made it oh so agonisingly bad.

It's like everything else in life though, isn't it - nothing's "as good as it used to be" in most peoples books. Or some folk just enjoy bashing what others enjoy. I'm in a happy place in my life where I can look back at the good old days of wrastlin and say some of it was better back in the day but they just physically couldn't do what they can do nowadays. It's still just a physical soap opera at heart, though. And, for me, a very enjoyable "leave your brain at the door" one.

Bret Hart has fought in 4 of my favourite 'all-time' wrestling fights:

Bret Hart vs 'Rowdy' Roddy Piper - Wrestlemania 8

Bret Hart vs Shawn Michaels - Wrestlemania 12 (Iron Man)

Bret Hart vs Stone Cold - as pictured above (Wrestlemania....13?! 14?! 10!? i don't know)

Bret Hart vs Chris Benoit - WCW Thunder (Tribute Match for Owen Hart)

You sir, are correct. Hart vs Benoit and Hart vs Michaels are the 2 greatest matches ever. Fact. (followed by Mr Perfect vs Ric Flair on Monday Night Raw in 1993)

Guest treader.

Holy shit, I watched the Iron Man match last night (I own all the Wrestlemania Box Set things) and I forgot about when Shawn Michaels gives 'Sweet Chin Music' to the timekeeper. The noise it makes is amazing.

Also, Whenever the Shawn Michaels vs Vince McMahon street fight was, that's another of my favourites. Contains the official loudest recorded chair shot of all time!

Guest treader.
I found that mildly entertaining. Kid Rock however was horrible

What is your avatar from? Charlie the Croc or something?! I totally remember him walking along then diving into a pool of mud, but it just looked like chocolate, or maybe it was chocolate...I can't remember.

Tell me!