aberdeen-music

Replace Amp Valves

My Marshall TSL-100 Head stopped working the other day. I think it's probably just the power amp valves that are gone as the amp is a couple of years old and none of the valves in the amp have been replaced. I'm probably going to just change pre & power amp valves as they are both due so my question is:

Is it something that I should do myself or should I put it in somewhere to get it sorted? I've never touched anything on my amps before but I can generally do most of the work on my guitars myself.

Free-Korps upcoming shows...

Wed 22nd April at 7.30pm @ The Tunnels, Aberdeen.

Supporting Nightmare of You

Tickets from

TicketWeb or One Up

Wed 12th May at 7.30pm @ Pivo Pivo, Glasgow.

Fri 22nd May at 7:30pm @ The Tunners, Aberdeen

Supporting Cats In Paris

Tickets from

TicketWeb or One Up

My Marshall TSL-100 Head stopped working the other day. I think it's probably just the power amp valves that are gone as the amp is a couple of years old and none of the valves in the amp have been replaced. I'm probably going to just change pre & power amp valves as they are both due so my question is:

Is it something that I should do myself or should I put it in somewhere to get it sorted? I've never touched anything on my amps before but I can generally do most of the work on my guitars myself.

when you say stopped working what exactly do you mean? is it still powering up but no sound coming out? are the valves still lit up? You may have blown the internal fuses if it powers up but no sound (common cause with dodgy valves)

The valves are eaasy to replace in a TSL but the power amp valves will need biased. its easy done if you get a small screwdriver and a multimeter that reads millivolts. Do a search on the net for how to bias a TSL 100 and you will find the info on how to do it. You tube may have a few vids on it. Just don't swap over the valves and not bias the amp as you will not get the full potential of it.

Yeah the amp still power's up and i'm pretty sure the valves were lit up. I found something online about blowing internal fuses and how that normally meant dodgy valve(s).

I've never heard anything about "bias" before so I will research that as you suggested first. Thanks for your response and advise, I might just give it a go myself after all!

Yeah the amp still power's up and i'm pretty sure the valves were lit up. I found something online about blowing internal fuses and how that normally meant dodgy valve(s).

I've never heard anything about "bias" before so I will research that as you suggested first. Thanks for your response and advise, I might just give it a go myself after all!

bias is pretty important, the power amp valves need to be biased correctly as the amp will sound too harsh if they ain't or your valves might burn up as well. setting the bias correct will make it sound pretty damn good.

As i said its really easy to do on a marshall and all the info you need will be on the net. If your stuck i can do it for you for sweet FA and it only takes about an hour at the most to do correctly.