aberdeen-music

Moving To Aberdeen - Advice Needed. Please Help!

Uncle Fritz

Hi everyone.

My girlfriend was recently accepted into Abderdeen Uni so it's looking like we'll be leaving Dundee and moving to your fine city around August/September.

Our general knowledge of Abderdeen is pretty poor so I was hoping some of you could lend us your wisdom and guide us through any potential 'hazzards' that may present themselves through this move, specifically the areas we should try and find property and any dodgy letting agencies we should steer clear of (Dundee has plenty of the latter). An idea of how much we can expect to pay in rent and council tax would be great too! We're hoping to find a 2 bedroom flat, close to the uni campus/town centre for around the 400 - 500 mark. Is this possible or just wishful thinking?

Any advice for us is greatly appreciated!!! Cheers.

I know several people who live around uni in two-bed flats at 500. I also know a couple living in a one-bed near Morrison's on king street (2 mins from town; 10 mins from uni if you march like a rabid goose) for 420.

Certainly not wishful thinking but you may have to be patient. If not, I hear Tillydrone's lovely in summer.

I know several people who live around uni in two-bed flats at 500. I also know a couple living in a one-bed near Morrison's on king street (2 mins from town; 10 mins from uni if you march like a rabid goose) for 420.

Certainly not wishful thinking but you may have to be patient. If not, I hear Tillydrone's lovely in summer.

Oh well, I was looking around October time, so that's probably one the reasons I'm thinking it's wishful thinking. But the cheap ones I did find were either shitholes, snapped up before you'd even phoned for a viewing and very few and far between.

and any dodgy letting agencies we should steer clear of

Yes - Avoid Aberdeen Property Leasing (APL) and their online incarnation primelet .com .

Criminally incompetent/rip-off fuckwits of the highest order IME - Rather than go all through it again, there is at least one past thread here that discusses why if you want to search.

ETA:

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/52055-letting-agents.html

http://www.aberdeen-music.com/forums/general-discussion/51309-rant-thread.html

Just be patient. I'd start looking in May, it might be worth moving a month earlier just to get a nice flat, y'know, August time. And if your girlfriend is looking for p/t work then quite a lot of students won't have returned.

I enjoyed my four years in Aberdeen. Only really left because I felt it was time to move on, and I would never have got a job if I'd stayed. It's nice to be in a city where the countryside and the seaside are like 10 mins away!!

Also, use this site... You'll find out about gigs and lots of other information here! :)