aberdeen-music

Element to play Glasgow

Hog

Said the exact same thing regarding Aerials.

The thing I think was "funniest" about it was their choice of covers. Seek And Destroy by Metallica isn't exactly discreet! I'm fairly certain we could have covered something rather obscure and it wouldn't be picked up on at all. Metallica is kinda just asking for it!

I would imagine the only reason you would consider a cover in this situation would be to try and get the crowd involved, no point covering a song no one knows they could just play their own material, so i would doubt they were trying to be discreet.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine the only reason you would consider a cover in this situation would be to try and get the crowd involved, no point covering a song no one knows they could just play their own material, so i would doubt they were trying to be discreet.

Oh I know that, more the fact that the judging advisories stated that level of crowd participation was not taken into consideration, and showcasing solely original material was what would be judged. Playing Metallica isn't a display of originality, same with one of the (3) originals sounding exactly like System Of A Down.

What I meant about a cover song no one knows is more that if they didn't have enough of their own material then they'd use that, as opposed to the filler being relatively known choices.

:)

Oh I know that, more the fact that the judging advisories stated that level of crowd participation was not taken into consideration, and showcasing solely original material was what would be judged. Playing Metallica isn't a display of originality, same with one of the (3) originals sounding exactly like System Of A Down.

What I meant about a cover song no one knows is more that if they didn't have enough of their own material then they'd use that, as opposed to the filler being relatively known choices.

:)

just because something sounds similar to another song, doesnt make it unoriginal ;)

Why fill your set with a song no one knows rather than choosing a song people can enjoy as much as the band would enjoy playing it?

Why fill your set with a song no one knows rather than choosing a song people can enjoy as much as the band would enjoy playing it?

I mean that if they didn't have enough material and did something very obscure, it may (to the judges) go under the radar and not be recognised as a cover song and thus wouldn't damage their chances given the criteria of judging mentioning about covers.

;)

I mean that if they didn't have enough material and did something very obscure, it may (to the judges) go under the radar and not be recognised as a cover song and thus wouldn't damage their chances given the criteria of judging mentioning about covers.

;)

ah right you are, sorry i was thinking you ment something completely different :)

I turns out that 2 more bands got through

Syth and Deadly inscription....Syth are pro, so they deserve it

deadly inscription though? that was the band that played 3 covers and used lots of very suspiciously recognisable riffs, they were on the same heat as us and element, and element were far better than them...

fuck knows, 6 bands on one night though, that'll be a squeeze

;)

it obviously didnt affect what the judges thought of them did it....