aberdeen-music

if you could invent something, what would you invent?

Soda Jerk

Is there any significant pressure involved in a cafetiere? The grounds are just stirred in to hot water and left to brew for 5 mins or so. The plunger simply pushes the grounds to the bottom to separate the grounds from the coffee which is to be poured. I don't believe the plunging part of the process is integral to the brew itself.

I've read that a lot of coffee purists brew the coffee grounds in a small amount of water (usually 1/3 of the cafetiere beaker) creating a very strong concentrate, and then simply diluting it with hot water after a few minutes, so perhaps the coffee-bag could work if submerged in, say, half a mug of boiling water, and then topped up.

Anyway,after a quick google, they already exist. It's just a matter of whether or not they are actually good:

http://lyonscoffeeuk.com/products

Is there any significant pressure involved in a cafetiere? The grounds are just stirred in to hot water and left to brew for 5 mins or so. The plunger simply pushes the grounds to the bottom to separate the grounds from the coffee which is to be poured. I don't believe the plunging part of the process is integral to the brew itself.

I've read that a lot of coffee purists brew the coffee grounds in a small amount of water (usually 1/3 of the cafetiere beaker) creating a very strong concentrate, and then simply diluting it with hot water after a few minutes, so perhaps the coffee-bag could work if submerged in, say, half a mug of boiling water, and then topped up.

Anyway,after a quick google, they already exist. It's just a matter of whether or not they are actually good:

http://lyonscoffeeuk.com/products

Interesting, I would've thought if they were good they might've taken off?

I always thought the plunger compacted the grounds and aided final infusion, but it looks like its just used to keep the grounds seperate from the water.

Netflix for art. (The DVD rental side of netflix, not the streaming)

You browse a collection of artwork onlinr by up and coming artists. Canvas prints, scultpures, oil paintings etc. You pay a subscription and can 'rent' a piece at a time, sending the piece back in when you want to change it for a different one.

You get to have pieces of art you maybe wouldn't buy and you get to change things up when you want. Would also work out a system whereby the arisks hey ongoing payments rather than a one time fee for their pieces

A soluble bag would be good for dosage control only really. A teaspoon does the job already really. Also, instant coffee should be illegal.

Kirsten, I'm out

Thank you for listening to my pitch. I am hopeful that Soda Jerk maintains some interest...

Interesting, I would've thought if they were good they might've taken off?

I always thought the plunger compacted the grounds and aided final infusion, but it looks like its just used to keep the grounds seperate from the water.

Not many brands seem to make them. I can only seem to find Lyons branded 'coffee bags'. I can't ever remember seeing them in shops either. It could be a case of them just being poorly marketed, or retailers not being interested in them.

Or they could be totally grim.

Coffee pods, used in low end/convenience machines are pretty much teabags with coffee, no? Dunk one of those in a cup of hot water and see what happens?

I assume the water running through the coffee via gravity just brews it in a way that a bag floating in a cup of water won't. The Vietnamese phin (raved about in the coffee thread) don't use any kind of compression as far as I can see and make coffee as well as basic filter machines, IME.

• 5 years later...
On 4/3/2009 at 4:55 PM, Soda Jerk said:

I've got this mint idea about a device which works like the exact opposite to a Microwave. A turbo-fridge if you will. I really can't hack warm drinks that are meant to be chilled, be it soft drinks, fruit juice or booze. Like when I've just done the shopping, and the juice has been sat at room temperature on the supermarket shelf. I get it home, and I want a glass of it, but it's was warm as bath water. Get out of my mouth!

So, I'd pour a glass of it, and i'd stick it in the Turbo Fridge, set a desired temperature, and bang - it whirls around for 60 seconds, and it's ready. Ice cool. Or I could turn it into a huge block of ice if I wanted. Instant ice-lolly. Supreme appliance!

Maybe it could merge into the already existing Microwave, and the settings could go both ways as selected, alot like when the TV and VCR first merged, forming a mind bendingly exciting portable combination of our two most treasured household items. But I think I'd like to release it as a stand-alone appliance first, so I can give it a marketable name like Dr Freeze, or the Frostinator, or something that is related to a character that Arnie has played, so he can put a televised sales pitch on this thing, preferable with skin missing, exposing his robotic anatomy. I think if people saw Arnie enjoying a glass of juice fresh from the FROSTINATOR, they would be pretty suckered into buying one from the word Go. The Governator wouldn't lie. Would he?

You all must have some crazy scheme up your sleeve that you'd like to unleash on the world if you had the know-how. Share!

BBC News - CES 2020: Juno 'reverse microwave oven' cools drinks in seconds
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51028494

• 4 weeks later...
On 10/26/2014 at 6:41 PM, ca_gere said:

I think with coffee there needs to be some kind of compression involved. The water has to be pushed through the coffee in some way, rather than simply steeped. The one-cup cafetiere is probably as close as you'd come.

Things have been invented since this thread was started #2. 

AEROBIE-aeropress_03.jpg

I think they’re reading it and stealing our ideas. 

Also a tuna-squeezer that you can tip a tin of tuna in to and squeeze all the fishy water out of it without getting it all over your fingers. It would look a lot like a potato ricer. Tbh I just use a potato ricer for this and it works perfectly but I could rebrand it, maybe put a fish on the handle. The Tuna Skweez. 

• 4 months later...