aberdeen-music

Forum Frazzle

Dave-IRL

Ok so I'm kinda new to using this forum, and dont want to step on anyone's toes or anything, but here goes...

Being a regular user of forums, I am perplexed at how this one actually works?! There are a ridiculous amount of Forums & Sub Forums on here, its virtually impossible to keep track of where threads are!

If I was to start a thread about a forthcoming IMP gig in Snafu (just as a contrived example...), I can see it fitting into any of the following forums:

Gig & Event Announcements

Music Discussion

Local Band Forums

News & Announcements

Snafu

Interesting Music Promotions

o_O

Can I suggest some sort of streamlining of the forums on here to make it easier to use. In the last couple of days I have contributed posts to topics and then been unable to find the same topic again to see if anyone has replied!

My main suggestion would be to have a Gig Preview & Review forum where all gig threads are kept.

Also I think the Local Band forum, with sub forums for individual bands is a bit pointless. Perhaps a single thread within a main music discussion Forum would be more suitable? (and if it turns out to be a popular thread it gets pinned?)

There's probably heaps more I could bang on about cause I like this place and think there's potential to improve it, but I wont cause I dont want to sound like a dick basically. I realise there are guys who dedicate a fair bit of time to running sites like these and it would probably sound like I'm just on to criticise their baby. But the forum is here for suggestions!

Cheers

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

What do they teach you in the Heed Dave? I've never thought it was that tricky to navigate.

A good way if you lose track of a thread you've posted in is to click on your own username and then on statistics and click view all posts by Dave IRL (or all threads if you actually started the thread).

It's a roundabout way of finding stuff, but you'll probably get there quicker than asking the mods to change everything around to be honest.

I do think there are too many. Comments & Suggestions, Website Announcements and Technical Problems could probably be combined. Feedback Forum, Gigs and Event Announcements, Local Band Forums, News & Announcements could all really come under the heading Music Discussion. Do we really need 5 venue forums that nobody posts in? And can't the promoters post their announcements in Gig and Event announcements instead of having another 3 forums that nobody posts in?

I would tend to agree with the poster above. 29 forums is a bit much!

Stick with it, comrade. The more you read and post, the more accustomed you'll become and you'll become familiar with what goes where. :up:

True - but I find that different users have different ideas of what should go in each section. For example there's a thread in Music Discussion just now titled '10 EASY WISHES ARE BACK!' the subject of which is a gig announcement...

Does this belong in...

Music Discussion - possibly

Gigs & Events - probably

News & Announcements - possibly

???

Thread starter has over 900 posts on the forum, so obviously is a regular user, but the possible places for him to post this topic allows for things to become muddled.

What do they teach you in the Heed Dave? I've never thought it was that tricky to navigate.

A good way if you lose track of a thread you've posted in is to click on your own username and then on statistics and click view all posts by Dave IRL (or all threads if you actually started the thread).

It's a roundabout way of finding stuff, but you'll probably get there quicker than asking the mods to change everything around to be honest.

I wouldnt say I was asking them to change everything, its merely a wee suggestion to organise it a bit better.

As for the Heed (actually Cruden Bay but I'll let you off once) - taught me everything I know.

Except what I learned in Torry :guns: