aberdeen-music

Helicopter ditches in north sea

I can see your point but as phil says you are more likely to get knocked down by a bus than for a helicopter to crash whilst your in it, do these people think twice before they cross the road when they hear this statistic? I have the upmost sympathy for the familys and friends who have lost loved ones over this but the last thing we need is a huge over reaction to an accident, people who have been on helicopters for years now saying they are not safe ect, and most importantly we cannot have people pointing the finger at any person or company until the full details are disclosed.

I think you completely missed my point, i wasn't saying people will be sitting there worrying that somethings going to go wrong with the chopper im saying it'll be in their heads whats happened. Guys offshore can relate to the whole procedure of getting excited bout going home, watching the safety video, suiting up, grabbing a paper and speaking to your back to back then getting on the chopper - there was nothing in my post indicating i was over-reacting all i was saying is that they'll be thoughts of whats just happened. All this crossing the road or car crash bolloxs has nothing to do with it.

And more importantly than all that not once did i mention or blame anyone on the cause of the crash, im one for waiting to hear the facts instead of listening to some gobshite that doesn't know FA, so you don't need to keep on about it.

I think you completely missed my point, i wasn't saying people will be sitting there worrying that somethings going to go wrong with the chopper im saying it'll be in their heads whats happened. Guys offshore can relate to the whole procedure of getting excited bout going home, watching the safety video, suiting up, grabbing a paper and speaking to your back to back then getting on the chopper - there was nothing in my post indicating i was over-reacting all i was saying is that they'll be thoughts of whats just happened. All this crossing the road or car crash bolloxs has nothing to do with it.

And more importantly than all that not once did i mention or blame anyone on the cause of the crash, im one for waiting to hear the facts instead of listening to some gobshite that doesn't know FA, so you don't need to keep on about it.

easy there chief you might hurt something.

I wasnt for one minute saying you were i mearly quoted your post to start me off. I never said you blamed anyone or over reacting or anything like that, i do however feel that there may be an over reaction to this situation but thats my opinion, i never said it had anything to do with you or that you thought it or were a part of it in anyway.

Because of the sensitive nature of the topic ill just pass on bringing you up on everything else, i dont need to justify what i know or anything like that, just calm down a bit, have a fag if you smoke and smile because its friday :)

Chill out man, this thread shouldn't be about having a go at each other. People have died, this thread is not the place for shite like above!

Guest treader.
Guys offshore can relate to the whole procedure of getting excited bout going home, watching the safety video, suiting up, grabbing a paper and speaking to your back to back then getting on the chopper

You know, for some reason, this whole incident hadn't really sunk in for me yet, and this little paragraph really made that happen. The actual process being described made me realise just how tragic and horrible this is.

That's not to say for one minute I didn't already think it was really tragic and horrible.

RIP guys...my thoughts are with their families and friends.

The deckhands / roustabouts (who basically carry heavy shit around all day and do stuff like painting and scaffolding) get paid a fuck of a lot more than they would for doing unskilled work onshore.

Not a fortune, but more than a lot of people get for doing graduate or skilled jobs onshore. It's hard work like, 2 weeks on the rig, 12 hours a day with no days off.

still not massive wages however you look at it. trainee cementers start on about 15k.

horrible stuff. home today hopefully, still not great visibility though.

My wifes ex was on the flight too. she is a bit shaken up by it. rip.

Aye my thoughts are with the familys and friends.

Kinda knew one of the folk on board. Not something you want to even comtemplate the pain they are going through. But saying that i think the saftey aspect is being taken out context a little as up until that day the north sea had the best record of helicopter saftey in terms of number of flights v's incidents. This still is the case. Can't say i've ever been worried when flying offshore and there have been a few incidents of gearboxes sh1tting themselves and hydralic lights coming on during a flight.. it happens with planes it's not good when it happens but you still get back on and fly. Things like this (helicopters having a critical failure) just don't happen normally so to call for a piblic enquiry is a bit strange.

Hopefully the guys on the Topaz can quickly recover the wreckage and the reason it happened can be established and solved if there is anything that can be solved.

Guest Tam o' Shantie

Saw it earlier. Is this really news?

This is like saying that a Ford Mondeo burst into flames and exploded killing all 5 passengers, then a week later reporting that some guy that drives a Ford Mondeo heard a funny noise coming from his engine bay, so he took it to a local garage to get it looked at.

This is like saying that a Ford Mondeo burst into flames and exploded killing all 5 passengers, then a week later reporting that some guy that drives a Ford Mondeo heard a funny noise coming from his engine bay, so he took it to a local garage to get it looked at.

I was thinking the same thing.

I hope they don't start reporting every little thing that happens to helicopters over the North sea. It'd really just going to cause unnecessary worry.

yeah that was my thoughts as well, this is the last thing we needed to be hearing about.

I doubt we hear about every single helicopter that lands because of a minor issue.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I did think that as well actually, but know bugger all about offshore helicopters so didn't want to trivialise it. You would still probably be shitting yourself though wouldn't you? Maybe if this happened in a normal week you would just shrug it off, but given that 16 people lost their lives last week, you might get a bit twitchy?

I did think that as well actually, but know bugger all about offshore helicopters so didn't want to trivialise it. You would still probably be shitting yourself though wouldn't you? Maybe if this happened in a normal week you would just shrug it off, but given that 16 people lost their lives last week, you might get a bit twitchy?

Do you or does one of your friends drive? Would you think twice about getting into his car if you had read someone else's car of the same make and model had experienced a break falure, without this being reported as a problem with the car in general?

Im not for one second trivialising the matter and my heart really does go out to those involved, all i mean by this is, we cannot over react and assume that all helicopters are unsafe, yes there should be a review of saftey and a check on the helicopters themselves just to make sure but we have to avoid blamming all this on the type of helicopter unless it is proven they are an unsafe model.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Do you or does one of your friends drive? Would you think twice about getting into his car if you had read someone else's car of the same make and model had experienced a break falure, without this being reported as a problem with the car in general?

Im not for one second trivialising the matter and my heart really does go out to those involved, all i mean by this is, we cannot over react and assume that all helicopters are unsafe, yes there should be a review of saftey and a check on the helicopters themselves just to make sure but we have to avoid blamming all this on the type of helicopter unless it is proven they are an unsafe model.

Yes, I do drive and so do a lot of my friends, and I know exactly what you mean. But, I've been talking to a lot of my friends who go offshore on a regular basis, and they are all far more nervous about getting on a helicopter than they used to be.

I'm not saying helicopters are any less safe than they were 2 weeks ago, or that all helicopters should be grounded. I know the reality is that these are isolated incidents. But the fact is that 3 helicopter crashes in the past 6/7 weeks have been heavily documented in the press, last week 16 people lost their lives in a horrible horrible accident. A car accident just isn't quite the same. If a helicopter drops out of the sky, you're chances of surviving are very very minimal.

I know for a fact that if I was getting on a helicopter tomorrow I'd be a tad more nervous about it than I would have been had it not been for the accident, and then having gotten airborne, and something (even minor) goes wrong and you have to come into land, it's just going to increase the nerves that you'll have.

i disagree.

ok, you're right in saying that it wouldn't be reported nationally.

but the RTB or however this one is categorised as WILL get cascaded through offshore networks.

I for one am thankful that I am not flying on Super Puma's anymore...especially the 2nd gen ones.

to be honest though, offshore, apart from a few sobering/somber conversations with various people not much has changed. certainly not as far as i can see anyway.

I don't like the risks involved and to be perfectly honest don't need the money that much. It's nice, but I am glad that I have only commited to a 1 year contract this time around.

Another point worth noting is that the vast majority of helicopter incidents occur during either take off or landing (or approach). THIS one happened during cruise. Indicating a catastrophic failure that i am VERY GLAD there is a public enquiry into!

Guest treader.

Was sent this today. Thought it might be of use to anyone who didn't already know about it:

MEMORIAL SERVICE - NORTH SEA CRASH OF G-REDL FLIGHT 85N

On Wednesday 15 April 2009 at 2pm. a Memorial Service will be held in the Kirk of St Nicholas Uniting, Union Street, Aberdeen remembering those who perished offshore in the helicopter crash of 1 April.

This service will last approximately one hour. It will provide an opportunity for us all to come together as an industry to give support to the families, and all who have been touched by this tragic occurrence.

I would like to invite you and members of your company to attend this service.

Seating arrangements are being made for those most closely affected only. The remaining seats will be filled on a first come, first served basis. The doors will be open from 1p.m.

We understand that Northsound will broadcast this service live and it will also be available live , via Northsounds website.

A poster with details of this service is attached for appropriate distribution.

Further details will be placed on the Chaplaincy website The UK Oil & Gas Chaplaincy

Sincerely

Reverend Andrew J Jolly BD CertMin

Chaplain to the UK Oil and Gas Industry