aberdeen-music

Recording Brass

FatHand

Best buy mic for recording brass/vocals etc? Want something good but don't want to pay stupid money... very very very top limit 250. Probably going to need a nice preamp too to go along with this. I'm currently sporting an MBox but read that the preamps although not too bad aren't the greatest... no point in having sweet equipment if it's not being made the most of. Any affordable yet quality options would be good.

Just recently set up a music/recording room and looking to get my recording capabilities up to a fairly decent level. Got some lovely keyboards, good acoustic guitar for recording, and got some standard SM58s that just don't cut it for most of the stuff I want to do. I think that a cracking mic is the key that's missing from my current set up. Having said that I'll start wanting other kit after that but going to start here first.

I could find all this out from my mates in the know but kind of want to talk about it to make my working day less dull ;)

Good stuff. Was looking at the focusrite preamps. Any other options worth considering? I'm only ever going to be recording a couple of things at once so I'd rather spend as much money on something small and of higher quality than a larger capacity for the same amount.

I'll take a look into the mics suggested too, cheers!

Im becoming quite a fan of the MD421. You ever used a Rode NT2? Pretty good as well, especially for the money.

aye nt2 is ok...id always go for a 2nd hand 421 though. it is THE mic for gtr cab, bass cab, toms, brass as mentioned. its also good for kick drum and vocals / speech too. all of this in the studio or live.

i need to get myself a couple!