aberdeen-music

metallica last night

ben_1903

Has anyone seen the video released for Broken, Beat and Scarred? It's basically a live video from this tour, and in my opinion the best video they've ever done with the possible exception of "I Disappear". Captures the show perfectly.

Thought they were out-standing in Glasgow, seeing Hetfield that close up making silly faces was brilliant. Saw them in Sheffield a month ago, which was seated, totally different experience, some bits were better, some worse, but it was in a which was designed as an ice hockey rink, so it had the terraced seats and a Cunning Stunts feel to it which is a great way to see Metallica too.

the video is great, makes up for the shambles of All Nightmare Longs video, if you saw it WTF!!

With the look of the BBS video, am i right in thinking maybe a new DVD to be released from this tour?

would be sweet

the video is great, makes up for the shambles of All Nightmare Longs video, if you saw it WTF!!

With the look of the BBS video, am i right in thinking maybe a new DVD to be released from this tour?

would be sweet

Yeah the All Nightmare Long video was about nothing, luckily it seemed to go unnoticed. Day that Never Comes was a crap video too.

I think a DVD off this tour would be great.

Yeah the All Nightmare Long video was about nothing, luckily it seemed to go unnoticed. Day that Never Comes was a crap video too.

I think a DVD off this tour would be great.

Do you think Machine Head will be making a video of this tour? Did anyone else see the guy circling the stage before and during their set with a video camera pointing it at the crowd?!

That could just be for their website of course...

I was really looking forward to MH but as everyone has already said it was horrible muddy sound as arenas often are, especially for support bands. Just as disappointingly, their set choice was pretty average in my opinion. Thought the set choice was pretty poor too.

Metallica were outstanding. As tight as they've ever been. James voice was incredible - hit ALL the high stuff and didn't wimp out of anything. Kirk's lead tone was actually really good, and he's obviously been practising - he pretty much nailed his old solos as well as he has ever managed to live. The sound was 20 times better than MH (as expected I guess), and the light and stage show was immense. Only disappointing thing was that they only played for just over 2 hours. I expected/hoped for about 3 more songs (especially due to the absence of Harvester, Battery and Creeping Death which are all live classics...maybe even Am I Evil or Last Caress chucked in too). I would have loved a bit more from Justice... but that's personal preference.

Extremely happy to see them being utterly brilliant and still highly relevant into their mid 40s, thought they even looked fucking great where recently they've looked a little old and haggard (a bit of hair-dye and a decent haircut does them wonders as gay as that sounds).

I figured that this was the set (broken up into albums rather than the order they played them in - works out at being about 1 hour 50 minutes of material, but obviously solos and banter extend the stage time):

The End of the Line (7:52)

That Was Just Your Life (7:08)

Broke, Beat And Scarred (6:25)

All Nightmare Long (7:58)

The Day That Never Comes (7:56)

My Apocalypse (5:01)

Of Wolf And Man (4:17)

Enter Sandman (5:31)

Sad But True (5:23)

Nothing Else Matters (6:29)

Die, Die My Darling (2:29)

Turn The Page (6:06)

One (7:24)

Master Of Puppets (8:36)

Fight Fire With Fire (4:45)

For Whom The Bell Tolls (5:10)

Trapped Under Ice (4:04)

Seek And Destroy (6:55)

The black album material, 2 cover songs, One and (surprisingly) the first 3 songs from Death Magnetic were highlights of the set for me - Metallica definitely seemed the most comfortable playing those. Thought a couple of the thrashier ones were a little sloppy in places, Fight Fire With Fire especially, some parts of Puppets because they play it so fast live that it's not possible to play properly and also My Apocalypse, but other than that their set was very tight.

Amazing gig.

I was really looking forward to MH but as everyone has already said it was horrible muddy sound as arenas often are, especially for support bands. Just as disappointingly, their set choice was pretty average in my opinion. Thought the set choice was pretty poor too.

Metallica were outstanding. As tight as they've ever been. James voice was incredible - hit ALL the high stuff and didn't wimp out of anything. Kirk's lead tone was actually really good, and he's obviously been practising - he pretty much nailed his old solos as well as he has ever managed to live. The sound was 20 times better than MH (as expected I guess), and the light and stage show was immense. Only disappointing thing was that they only played for just over 2 hours. I expected/hoped for about 3 more songs (especially due to the absence of Harvester, Battery and Creeping Death which are all live classics...maybe even Am I Evil or Last Caress chucked in too). I would have loved a bit more from Justice... but that's personal preference.

Extremely happy to see them being utterly brilliant and still highly relevant into their mid 40s, thought they even looked fucking great where recently they've looked a little old and haggard (a bit of hair-dye and a decent haircut does them wonders as gay as that sounds).

I figured that this was the set (broken up into albums rather than the order they played them in - works out at being about 1 hour 50 minutes of material, but obviously solos and banter extend the stage time):

The End of the Line (7:52)

That Was Just Your Life (7:08)

Broke, Beat And Scarred (6:25)

All Nightmare Long (7:58)

The Day That Never Comes (7:56)

My Apocalypse (5:01)

Of Wolf And Man (4:17)

Enter Sandman (5:31)

Sad But True (5:23)

Nothing Else Matters (6:29)

Die, Die My Darling (2:29)

Turn The Page (6:06)

One (7:24)

Master Of Puppets (8:36)

Fight Fire With Fire (4:45)

For Whom The Bell Tolls (5:10)

Trapped Under Ice (4:04)

Seek And Destroy (6:55)

The black album material, 2 cover songs, One and (surprisingly) the first 3 songs from Death Magnetic were highlights of the set for me - Metallica definitely seemed the most comfortable playing those. Thought a couple of the thrashier ones were a little sloppy in places, Fight Fire With Fire especially, some parts of Puppets because they play it so fast live that it's not possible to play properly and also My Apocalypse, but other than that their set was very tight.

Amazing gig.

For Whom The Bell Tolls was about 3 songs in...Sad But True was very sloppy in places as well....

For Whom The Bell Tolls was about 3 songs in...

If you're going to quote people you might want to actually read what you are quoting.

For your benefit, I'll reiterate and highlight part of my original post that you obviously missed.

...this was the set (broken up into albums rather than the order they played them in)

If you're going to quote people you might want to actually read what you are quoting.

For your benefit, I'll reiterate and highlight part of my original post that you obviously missed.

...this was the set (broken up into albums rather than the order they played them in)

Yeah sorry I totally missed that comment.... I think I originally got bored reading your pre-amble when it got to "As tight as they've ever been" - if that's them tight I hate to think what they have been like previously because I was pretty appalled at how dodgy they were at times considering how long they've been on the go.

I guess i'm coming from a non-fanatical Metallica background so am maybe more subjective in my appraisal...I just expected a lot more from a band who are experienced to the tune of 25 years plus :)

Yeah sorry I totally missed that comment.... I think I originally got bored reading your pre-amble when it got to "As tight as they've ever been" - if that's them tight I hate to think what they have been like previously because I was pretty appalled at how dodgy they were at times considering how long they've been on the go.

I guess i'm coming from a non-fanatical Metallica background so am maybe more subjective in my appraisal...I just expected a lot more from a band who are experienced to the tune of 25 years plus :)

dude have you downloaded the gig? Its tight as fuck...particularly the first half of the gig.

Having said that, even if they were a little sloppy on sad but true (or whatever it was)...so. They put on a hell of a show.

dude have you downloaded the gig? Its tight as fuck...particularly the first half of the gig.

Having said that, even if they were a little sloppy on sad but true (or whatever it was)...so. They put on a hell of a show.

I haven't downloaded the gig, no, I don't have the time. And I don't really want to either.

Are you trying to tell me that I merely imagined the sloppiness? Because it wasn't just on that song....I did say a while back that I enjoyed it overall, I just had expectations that a band of their stature would be a bit tighter than they were. Or than they sounded to my ears on the night.

If all the Metallica fanaticals thought it was the best thing ever that's fine, I'm nae jumping down their throats. Their ears are probably buggered. :up: