aberdeen-music

Fingerstyle guitar

KimyReizeger

I've been getting back into guitar playing recently, particularly fingerstyle. Just wondering if anyone else does this?

Really enjoy Tommy Emmanuel. Was always 'aware' of him but never realised what he was about. Great character, typical nutty Aussie, and refreshingly unpretentious. Also like Alex de Grassi. Simpler than Tommy, but refined and sparing in his technique. Any recommendations?

Oh and locally - Craig Davidson:

Craig Davidson on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Was really impressed when I saw him at the tunnels recently.

I hardly ever use a plectrum.

Chet Atkins is the greatest fingerpicker ever IMO, Tommy Emmanuel wrote fanm ail to him as a kid (Chet replied) so it's kind of amazing that Tommy ended up beling one of Chet's favourite players.

YouTube - Chet Atkins - Black Mountain Rag

In terms of accompanying singing, I think Paul Simon is one of the best.

Also a soft spot for Steve Earle (who basically knicked Townes van Zandt's style).

Downloading..

Yeah, Chet's good. Funny demeanour too.

Peter Lang also I've just discovered.

I've really been teaching myself the past few months but would like to learn a few tunes if anyone can suggest something simple which will also shed light on new areas of interest. Tommy Emmanuel's 'Boom-chick' lesson on youtube was pretty useful. Or indeed, exercises or techniques. It took quite a while just to get a smooth '1-2-3-4' or 'thumb-index-middle-ring' over chord changes.

It's really an interesting way to play. I enjoy 'de-mistifying' passages which seem hard at first but are really just combinations and patterns... :)

I'd like to re-affirm Alan's recommendation of both Leo Kottke and John Fahey. Both have at times a relatively traditional sound, however continually interrupted by unusual passages and, of which this song is a reasonable example:

Similarly with Fahey:

The shifts in this tune are really interesting. I love the way dissonance creeps in. There's a good 'line' throughout the tune, almost like a narrative. Sketchy at times, sounding improvised at others, imperfect, but definately an interesting performance.

It's really an interesting way to play. I enjoy 'de-mistifying' passages which seem hard at first but are really just combinations and patterns... :)

yeah.. when i first saw the 'drifting' video by andy mckee i was blown away, but once you've got the melody down it is just a question of getting your left hand in time. that makes it sound like i'm good at it though... i am not.