aberdeen-music

Calderwood

Guest Bob

Didn't Aberdeen make mention some years ago of players being given job descriptions. If so then unless they are the most generic things ever 'job = play football' then I would imagine there is a fair scope to review who is doing their job, who isn't being given the opportunity to do theirs (players played out of position) and those who have been levied with unreasonable expectations (Mackie).

The biggest problem with Aberdeen is passion. I've followed the club all my life and attended home games since 88 although admittedly less frequently in recent years. Kerr and Diamond are the only players capable of grabbing the game by the nuts when the going gets tough. No team can expect to carry 9 others who don't seem to give a shit. If you consider the avarage player at Todders must be on at least 1000 p/w they are all earning in excess of 50K a year plus bonuses. At the end of the day these fuckers don't know they are born - is it too much to expect a little passion in return for that pay check? and for the fat cuprinol coated cunt on 150K a year - value for money - only at Tropical Tan et all.

Time for a root and branch change. Get in a manager who will earn the players fear and respect in equal measure and get the boys playing for the shirt.

Well done to DAFC and best of luck in the next round. Easy for you guys to slag us and our expectations but would you be happy if Stranraer had knocked you out of a QF? (for the smart arses Stranraer are as many places below DAFC as DAFC are below Aberdeen at the time of writing)

give us one good example of this person who will inspire fear and respect who will be willing to manage aberdeen.

Well done to DAFC and best of luck in the next round. Easy for you guys to slag us and our expectations but would you be happy if Stranraer had knocked you out of a QF? (for the smart arses Stranraer are as many places below DAFC as DAFC are below Aberdeen at the time of writing)

I'd accept it with a damn sight more good grace than some of you lot are doing, that's for sure. We were knocked outta the Cup by Airdrie (United, sorry) a few seasons back when we were in the top flight and they were in the Firstie. Disappointing, sure, but shit happens. Didn't lose any sleep over it.

The "Fat Cuprinol-coated Cunt" (outstanding description!) is copping a quite amazing amount of flak over it, not that I'll shed any tears for him! I remember the Sheep getting knocked about by Stenhousemuir in about 1996, was it? I don't remember Aitken (?) getting half as much stick for that and it seems some Sheep have disliked Tango from day one and he'll never be accepted. Again, no tears...

Anyway, look on the bright side, you can concentrate on the league.

:up:

I wish people would stop giving Calderwood so much shit. Yes, the Dunfermline result was very disappointing, if we got past them then the cup was very much winnable, same with the QOS game last season. But he has never failed to keep us in the top 6, he got is into Europe and kept us there past Christmas (for the first time since the 80's I think?). He has managed to give the club some sort of consistency (by our standards) and done all this with naff all money. Granted he gets the odd fucking terrible result (the defeats to Hamilton this season come to mind here) and has been known to make some.....questionable tactical decisions, but all in all he has done a good job. He pretty much has the highest win percentage of any Dons manager in almost 20 years and has stopped us regularly having piss poor results and occasionally dicing with relegation. Also, quite frankly, who could we get that would do a better job? Levein is the only man I can think of, and I can't see him leaving United for the Dons.

It really gets on my goat when folk go on about finishing top 6 as if it's some sort of achievement. We've got the 4th highest playing budget in the country, if we didn't finish top 6 it would be a disgrace. It's just because Tango's followed total shite in the shape of Ebbe and Pele that it actually seems like more than the minimum required, but it's not.

Here's a funny quote:

[X] has done a decent job with the [...] team but he knows you are judged on results and this [...] campaign has been another disappointment.

A home win against [...] is the bare minimum and [X] knows his employers are looking for signs of progress which he has not delivered.

Someone talking about Tango before the Dunfermline game? No! Tango talking about Frank Hadden before the Italy game, believe it or not. How very droll.

The guy came in and steadied the ship, brought back respectability, and for that he should be thanked. But he is incapable of going any further than this, so it's time to go our separate ways.

(In terms of possible replacements, McGhee and Levein often get mentioned, but perhaps the likes of Black, Richardson and Ferguson (Jr.) would be worth a look.)

It really gets on my goat when folk go on about finishing top 6 as if it's some sort of achievement. We've got the 4th highest playing budget in the country, if we didn't finish top 6 it would be a disgrace. It's just because Tango's followed total shite in the shape of Ebbe and Pele that it actually seems like more than the minimum required, but it's not.

Here's a funny quote:

Someone talking about Tango before the Dunfermline game? No! Tango talking about Frank Hadden before the Italy game, believe it or not. How very droll.

The guy came in and steadied the ship, brought back respectability, and for that he should be thanked. But he is incapable of going any further than this, so it's time to go our separate ways.

(In terms of possible replacements, McGhee and Levein often get mentioned, but perhaps the likes of Black, Richardson and Ferguson (Jr.) would be worth a look.)

its nice when you look at it so simply, but the fact is if they sack calderwood then thats less money for players paying him and his staff off, so goodbye ANY new players, plus Levin and McGee are very unlikely to be interested in managing such an ungratful bunch of tossers like aberdeen. Same goes for Black Richardson and most definately Ferguson, he is regarded as one of the best young managers down south he ownt waste his time coming up here.

Guest idol_wild

Lee Richardson would a fine shout. And I think he'd consider the job, too.

Lee Richardson would a fine shout. And I think he'd consider the job, too.

So somebody who consistently gets us into the top 6 is shite, but a guy who's team is currently 10th in English league two is a "fine shout"?

This is exactly the kind of muppet logic that will consign us to the doldrums for the next decade.

Guest idol_wild
So somebody who consistently gets us into the top 6 is shite, but a guy who's team is currently 10th in English league two is a "fine shout"?

This is exactly the kind of muppet logic that will consign us to the doldrums for the next decade.

Are you only looking at Chesterfield's current league position or do you follow lower league English football at all? Do you know anything at all about how well he has worked with crap players and a limited budget at a club who were in freefall before he took over? Do you know anything about how well he conducts himself in the media? Plus, he has strong links with Aberdeen Football Club; he'll probably instill a bit of life and enthusiasm back into a dying club. Even as a personality, he'd have a lot more to offer than Calderwood.

Plus, I have never ever stated anywhere that Calderwood is "shite", as you so eloquently put it. All I merely suggested was that Lee Richardson would be a decent future replacement and he'd probably be one of the very few interested in the role.

Maybe take the context of my post in the light it was meant next time.

its nice when you look at it so simply, but the fact is if they sack calderwood then thats less money for players paying him and his staff off, so goodbye ANY new players, plus Levin and McGee are very unlikely to be interested in managing such an ungratful bunch of tossers like aberdeen. Same goes for Black Richardson and most definately Ferguson, he is regarded as one of the best young managers down south he ownt waste his time coming up here.

What's gonna cost more? Paying off the three diddies, or substantial numbers of fans disconnecting from the club?

i would like to add i am actually a big dons fan, im just fed up with this nonsense with our managers, its happened since alex ferguson left and we all assumed that we were entitled to continue being sucessful, we are a little club and we have to accept that.

Of course. What's the point in trying to win trophies? We should just roll over and let the Old Firm win everything, after all we're all only a small club there's no point in having ambition.

("Get-a-load-of-this-guy-cam")

0000001754_20060919151209.jpg

What's gonna cost more? Paying off the three diddies, or substantial numbers of fans disconnecting from the club?

that wont happen tho, fans will still come and watch, if he gets us back into europe next season the gates will be back up again.

Would you rather run the club into the ground rather than support a man who has done a good job for the best part? Thats being a true supporter isnt it, fucking off and leaving the club in the lurch when the going gets a bit tough, im so glad im an aberdeen fan sometimes, surrounded by people with these great ideas on how to make their club better.

Of course. What's the point in trying to win trophies? We should just roll over and let the Old Firm win everything, after all we're all only a small club there's no point in having ambition.

("Get-a-load-of-this-guy-cam")

0000001754_20060919151209.jpg

thats not my point at all, not even close.

My point is we have no right to third place in the league or any right to be in any cup finals like a big chunk of our fans seem to think. We cannot and most likely will never come close to the old firm, we are a small club who had a bit of success years and years ago, we have to get over that at somepoint.

Are you only looking at Chesterfield's current league position or do you follow lower league English football at all? Do you know anything at all about how well he has worked with crap players and a limited budget at a club who were in freefall before he took over? Do you know anything about how well he conducts himself in the media? Plus, he has strong links with Aberdeen Football Club; he'll probably instill a bit of life and enthusiasm back into a dying club. Even as a personality, he'd have a lot more to offer than Calderwood.

Plus, I have never ever stated anywhere that Calderwood is "shite", as you so eloquently put it. All I merely suggested was that Lee Richardson would be a decent future replacement and he'd probably be one of the very few interested in the role.

Maybe take the context of my post in the light it was meant next time.

Fair enough, sorry. Anyway....

If I'm being honest, I'm not a big follower of English lower league football, but I'd argue that it is certainly a level below SPL and as such, getting any manager from that division into the SPL would be classed as a punt....an educated punt perhaps, but risky.

My own opinion is that Calderwood has also "worked well with crap players and a limited budget". Apart from the obvious AFC connection (which IMO is a questionable reason to hire any manager.....there are dozens of examples where former players haven't worked out), I'm struggling to see the attraction in Rico.

Guest idol_wild
that wont happen tho, fans will still come and watch, if he gets us back into europe next season the gates will be back up again.

Would you rather run the club into the ground rather than support a man who has done a good job for the best part? Thats being a true supporter isnt it, fucking off and leaving the club in the lurch when the going gets a bit tough, im so glad im an aberdeen fan sometimes, surrounded by people with these great ideas on how to make their club better.

I see your point there, but ironically, I was at my most fervent Aberdeen supporting mode when they were near/at the bottom of the league and struggling. It was genuinely exciting to support the club back then. I think our gates were a lot higher back then than they are now, too. So it seems quite a number of people felt the same way. Bottom of the league and two cup finals; that was one of the best years of my life and I only missed one game that season. It was epic.

Now, despite being stable, Aberdeen are easily one of the most boring teams in top flight Scottish football to watch. Really dire stuff week-in, week-out. The going isn't especially tough at Aberdeen Football Club right now...it's just really boring and failing to capture my imagination. So I have stopped going to the games. That, and I feel 20-odd is just too much to pay to watch SPL football. Oh, and the players consistently let the fans and themselves down in the games that tend to matter.

thats not my point at all, not even close.

My point is we have no right to third place in the league or any right to be in any cup finals like a big chunk of our fans seem to think. We cannot and most likely will never come close to the old firm, we are a small club who had a bit of success years and years ago, we have to get over that at somepoint.

No we don't have a divine right to be there, but we have probably the most money available outside the old firm, one of the strongest squads outside the old firm and the highest crowds outside the old firm, we should at least expect to be fighting to get into cup finals and third place, not just rolling over without a whimper. It's been 10 years since we were last in a cup final, during which time Hearts, Hibs, Livingston, Gretna, Dunfermline, Dundee Utd, Queen of The South and many others have reached finals and even won trophies. We may not be at the same level we were at in the 80s, but if that lot can get to finals with less resources than us, there is absolutely no reason at all why can't.

Guest idol_wild
Fair enough, sorry. Anyway....

If I'm being honest, I'm not a big follower of English lower league football, but I'd argue that it is certainly a level below SPL and as such, getting any manager from that division into the SPL would be classed as a punt....an educated punt perhaps, but risky.

My own opinion is that Calderwood has also "worked well with crap players and a limited budget". Apart from the obvious AFC connection (which IMO is a questionable reason to hire any manager.....there are dozens of examples where former players haven't worked out), I'm struggling to see the attraction in Rico.

Yeah, fair points. A big element of football is that it all revolves around opinions. Here, we differ slightly. One of Calderwood's main weaknesses has been his signings. So many of them have failed to work out, whereas Richardson seems to have a relatively keen eye for a player who he knows will improve his squad. Watch Chesterfield reach the playoffs next season. The "crap players" that Calderwood has worked well with have been his own crap signings, largely.

I agree that League Two isn't quite the standard of the SPL, but Rangers and Celtic aside, the SPL isn't much better than League Two in my opinion.

Guest idol_wild
highest crowds outside the old firm

A bit of research would probably suggest Aberdeen are the 5th highest in Scotland for average attendance.

That said, Aberdeen have the biggest travelling support outside the Old Firm.

Aberdeen have never really been big crowd pullers though, have they? Even during the club's dominance in the 80s, they still only got gates of 8,000 for home games against the likes of St Mirren.

No we don't have a divine right to be there, but we have probably the most money available outside the old firm, one of the strongest squads outside the old firm and the highest crowds outside the old firm, we should at least expect to be fighting to get into cup finals and third place, not just rolling over without a whimper. It's been 10 years since we were last in a cup final, during which time Hearts, Hibs, Livingston, Gretna, Dunfermline, Dundee Utd, Queen of The South and many others have reached finals and even won trophies. We may not be at the same level we were at in the 80s, but if that lot can get to finals with less resources than us, there is absolutely no reason at all why can't.

hearts have far more money, dundee utd also now can spend on the same level as us, gretna the year they got to the final were being hugely financed by brookes and you get teams who are lucky each year, we have NO RIGHT TO BE AT A FINAL JUST BECAUSE WE ARE ABERDEEN!! No matter what money we spend or what players we have. Cup games are hugely based on luck and we unfortunately dont have the rub of the green when it comes to it.

Hearts also sell out tynecastle every week, no questions, aberdeen barley half fill the stadium except when the old frim are in town, utd also have just as good crowds as us week in week out. As for best squad, that is laughable, players like Makie, Foster, Considine wouldnt get a game in any other SPL team maybe hamilton, says a lot. We are still very much in the hunt for third place so i dont see how we are rolling over to die.

A bit of research would probably suggest Aberdeen are the 5th highest in Scotland for average attendance.

That said, Aberdeen have the biggest travelling support outside the Old Firm.

Aberdeen have never really been big crowd pullers though, have they? Even during the club's dominance in the 80s, they still only got gates of 8,000 for home games against the likes of St Mirren.

exctly even at the peak when we did beat everyone, we couldnt sell out the ground everyweek.

I see your point there, but ironically, I was at my most fervent Aberdeen supporting mode when they were near/at the bottom of the league and struggling. It was genuinely exciting to support the club back then. I think our gates were a lot higher back then than they are now, too. So it seems quite a number of people felt the same way. Bottom of the league and two cup finals; that was one of the best years of my life and I only missed one game that season. It was epic.

Now, despite being stable, Aberdeen are easily one of the most boring teams in top flight Scottish football to watch. Really dire stuff week-in, week-out. The going isn't especially tough at Aberdeen Football Club right now...it's just really boring and failing to capture my imagination. So I have stopped going to the games. That, and I feel 20-odd is just too much to pay to watch SPL football. Oh, and the players consistently let the fans and themselves down in the games that tend to matter.

i had a season ticket that year!

It was good when you remember the last few months but it was hard for the rest of it, i do see your point tho we are very boring to watch but its this or fighting at the bottom, we will never have the players to win the league or play blinding football.