aberdeen-music

Calderwood

Guest Bob

based on what just out of interest?

He's won absolutely fuck all, and he has no European experience. He's spent most of his career managing in the English first and second divisions and he's shown throughout his career that he's willing to jump from any job if a better one comes up. The Celtic fans would revolt if he got the job.

One good season at Motherwell doesn't make him a good manager, in my opinion.

He's won absolutely fuck all, and he has no European experience. He's spent most of his career managing in the English first and second divisions and he's shown throughout his career that he's willing to jump from any job if a better one comes up. The Celtic fans would revolt if he got the job.

One good season at Motherwell doesn't make him a good manager, in my opinion.

You could have said the same of strachan before he got the job, not won anything as a manager and hardly had any european experience as a manager, also spent the early part of his managerial career managing small teams in england. The Celtic fans would actually like him from what i read on a few football forums he likes his teams to play nice football, the thing the celtic fans moan about with strachan.

Lets not foget Vengloss hardly had top experience before he got the celtic job neither did Win Jansen really, didnt stop them doing a decent job there.

When in McGee's career barring the hearts job has he jumped ship as soon as a better offer came about?

I really don't understand why folk (Milner) are moaning that no-one will come. Unless you've seen into the future and have the names of all the apllicants, you don't know shit.

because unlke a lot of dons fans i dont kid myself that we are an attractive club to manage, we must be one of the worst jobs in scotland, ungrateful fans who over expect every season, no real money to meet these expectaitons and one of the worst set of home supporters in the coutry who are only bothered when the old firm is in town.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Sections of the Celtic support are still revolting over the Strachan appointment - ridiculous - but it's mainly because he's not a "Celtic Man" whatever the fuck that means.

The fact that McGhee is ex-Celtic would make a massive difference. I personally wouldn't want him to come to Celtic just yet, but wouldn't rule it out in the future. I wouldn't want rid of Strachan cos he's doing a very good job in my opinion. 3 out of 3 league titles is not to be sniffed at and we're sitting good for a 4th (at the moment). Good runs in Europe as well. Celtic do occasionally play some shocking football, but sometimes play good football too. He makes some woeful decisions as well, but I think all managers do, it's a difficult job really.

Sorry - that's all a little off topic.

Calderwood - like I said above, I think he's probably still the best man for the job at the moment. If you land yourself in Europe again this season, which is still a strong possibility, I think it would have to be hats off to JC again.

I think Butcher was the right man for them tbh. He can command a lot of respect and has the ability to instil a passion in the players.

I wouldn't mind him coming to the Dons. How long is his contract at Inverness?

he is hardly a proven top manager tho, the only job he has managed to keep so far is the motherwell job, sacked from the rest.

The thing is, I'm sure he'd sort out the deadwood like Mackie and co and actually make the lazy cunts work for the team for every game, not just when we meet the OF. Jimmy has no control over the dressing room at all. If he sulks with a player, he puts them in the reserves for 2 weeks at the most, they come back and they've not learned their lesson. Foster is apparently still acting like he owns the place.

Jimmy needs to start taking a firm hand with these nancy boys or its just going to be same, year in, year out.

The thing is, I'm sure he'd sort out the deadwood like Mackie and co and actually make the lazy cunts work for the team for every game, not just when we meet the OF. Jimmy has no control over the dressing room at all. If he sulks with a player, he puts them in the reserves for 2 weeks at the most, they come back and they've not learned their lesson. Foster is apparently still acting like he owns the place.

Jimmy needs to start taking a firm hand with these nancy boys or its just going to be same, year in, year out.

i agree with a lot of what you said there to be honest, there is a lot of dead wood at the club but it comes down to how the club would replace these players with anything better, could they? Could they shift players like foster and makie? Would it be worthwhile paying them off and not being able to replace them?

I have said it much earlier in this thread that the players have a lot to look at themselves, never mind being motivated by the manager, if these guys cant get off their own asses and want to beat teams like dunfermline then they shouldnt be football players simple as.

You could have said the same of strachan before he got the job, not won anything as a manager and hardly had any european experience as a manager, also spent the early part of his managerial career managing small teams in england. The Celtic fans would actually like him from what i read on a few football forums he likes his teams to play nice football, the thing the celtic fans moan about with strachan.

Lets not foget Vengloss hardly had top experience before he got the celtic job neither did Win Jansen really, didnt stop them doing a decent job there.

When in McGee's career barring the hearts job has he jumped ship as soon as a better offer came about?

No but at least Strachan had a lot of experience managing Coventry and Southampton in the Premiership, and Southampton were in a brilliant position when he left them (beaten in the FA Cup Final and ended up 7th in the league I think).

McGhee was manager at Reading and jumped to Leicester after about 6 months. Then after about 6 months at Leicester he jumped ship to Wolves. At Motherwell he's expressed intrest in the Hearts and Scotland jobs.

Take a look at this:

Mark McGhee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hardly a glowing CV. Sacked by Millwall and Brighton.

And as for Vengloss and Jansen not having top flight managerial experience - neither did John Barnes...

No but at least Strachan had a lot of experience managing Coventry and Southampton in the Premiership, and Southampton were in a brilliant position when he left them (beaten in the FA Cup Final and ended up 7th in the league I think).

McGhee was manager at Reading and jumped to Leicester after about 6 months. Then after about 6 months at Leicester he jumped ship to Wolves. At Motherwell he's expressed intrest in the Hearts and Scotland jobs.

Take a look at this:

Mark McGhee - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Hardly a glowing CV. Sacked by Millwall and Brighton.

And as for Vengloss and Jansen not having top flight managerial experience - neither did John Barnes...

so if this is the case why do people think he would be better than jimmy who has never been sacked?

Your part about john barnes passed me, are you trying to back up the point that not every new manager makes it or what? You were the one who said McGee had no top experience and all i did was point out that Venglos and Jansen were in the same boat before they took over.

so if this is the case why do people think he would be better than jimmy who has never been sacked?

Your part about john barnes passed me, are you trying to back up the point that not every new manager makes it or what? You were the one who said McGee had no top experience and all i did was point out that Venglos and Jansen were in the same boat before they took over.

Janssen had managed Feyenoord amongst others. Given the state Celtic were in when he was hired, I'd say that was a fairly high-profile appointment. Feyenoord were certainly a better side than Celtic at that point, and were playing in a stronger league. Venglos managed Fenerbace, Aston Villa and the Slovakian and Omani national sides.

I'd argue that they had plenty experience to be taking on Celtic. The comparison with Mark McGhee doesn't work IMO.

Personally I don't think he would do better than Jimmy. If he was to replace JC I would call that a sideways step for us.

With John Barnes you were saying that Venglos and Jansen had no experience before getting the Celtic job and it worked out well, but I was just pointing out that that doesn't always work. I would personally say that success / failure rate of first time managers starting out in top level jobs would probably land more on the side of failure than success. A few recent examples, Tony Adams at Portsmouth, Sammy Lee at Bolton, Chris Hutchings at Wigan, Kevin Blackwell at Leeds, Iain Dowie at every club, ever.

Personally I don't think he would do better than Jimmy. If he was to replace JC I would call that a sideways step for us.

With John Barnes you were saying that Venglos and Jansen had no experience before getting the Celtic job and it worked out well, but I was just pointing out that that doesn't always work. I would personally say that success / failure rate of first time managers starting out in top level jobs would probably land more on the side of failure than success. A few recent examples, Tony Adams at Portsmouth, Sammy Lee at Bolton, Chris Hutchings at Wigan, Kevin Blackwell at Leeds, Iain Dowie at every club, ever.

of couse not every new manager makes it, ive never claimed they did, but you've used bad examples appart from dowie to back it up, Adams was actually on his second job.

Milner you say Aberdeen is one of the worst manager's jobs in Scotland, I'd seriously disagree. Money talks mostly, and I'd imagine the Aberdeen salary is in the top 4 highest earners in the SPL, with the rest a considerable distance behind. No matter about how well a current manager is doing, or even how successful they could potentially be at a club, they'd surely see the chance to top up their pensions considerably hugely attractive. I'd imagine most managers in Scotland would jump at the chance to manage us. Obviously folk like Levein, who the difference in wage will be neglible and enjoys the creature comforts and has a long-term plan at Utd wouldn't even have to think about it, but I'd say everyone else in the league would.

I think the reasons you are saying (fans 'unrealistic expectations' etc) actually have very little baring on managers decisions to join a club. Besides, any manager worth his salt surely recognises the potential of Aberdeen (you keep saying we are a tiny club, which is true to some degree, but in terms of the SPL we most certainly are not) and doesn't see the expectation as a burden but a challenge. At least initially, before we turn on them ;) But seriously, any manager who shirks from the expectations I am glad they don't apply.

But McGhee would probably increase his salary by 50% (obviously just guess-work but I'd say its fairly certian to be in that region) - are you saying you wouldn't tempted? Plus you'd have the knowledge that you could fall back on the old 'unlrealistic expectations' line if you fell short, so you'd have your credibility still completely intact.

edit - Just remember how Calderwood had finished 4th with the Pars, had just came out of a Scottish Cup final and enjoyed a lot of support from the fans at East End Park and had the prospect of that oh-so-holy beacon of Europe to look forward to next season. With the Dons 2nd bottom from the league having lost their last 8 of that campaign or something with our last manager being ushered out of the stadium in the boot of a car. Yet he leapt at the chance to join us, as the deal was wrapped up within 24 hours of Miller coming back to the club.