aberdeen-music

Calderwood

Guest Bob

Go on then, I'll bite - who do you support? Or are you just one of those Aberdonians who delights in the Dons' failures?

Not that I disagree with the second part of your post (although nobody really believes that, it's a Glasgow press-created fallacy designed to make us look like cunts).

I'm actually a Caley Thistle fan, but we can admit were shite! But you have to support you're Home town club and all that. But I now live in Aberdeen, and although I am not an Aberdonian, I still delight in Aberdeen's failures, so lets face it, I'm pretty much delighted all the time

This is the type of sheep-bleating I hate...

Maybe you think you should cuff the DA every day of the week.

You failed.

Twice.

So if we're shite, fuck knows what that makes your mob.

Shite's going to Hampden, you're not.

:up:

But you are a really fucking poor team......i dont hate DA at all and actually have a soft spot for them from visiting and playing down there on a few occassions.

but Aberdeen should be beating them no matter what. Dunfermline are a poor side at the min and it was pretty much similar Aberdeen side managed to tie Bayern Munich a little over a year ago.

It just goes to show that they need a good kick up the arse and maybe Calderwoods foot aint working anymore.

But good luck in the Cup, you have a great chance against Falkirk who are also shite.

But you are a really fucking poor team......i dont hate DA at all and actually have a soft spot for them from visiting and playing down there on a few occassions.

but Aberdeen should be beating them no matter what. Dunfermline are a poor side at the min and it was pretty much similar Aberdeen side managed to tie Bayern Munich a little over a year ago.

It just goes to show that they need a good kick up the arse and maybe Calderwoods foot aint working anymore.

But good luck in the Cup, you have a great chance against Falkirk who are also shite.

I think we're a decent side. The assumption that we're shite was probably why we won. We're still struggling to adapt to the 1st division, where we maybe try and play too much football and aren't physical enough, in the midfield particularly. Last night we were immense in defence, and did well to frustrate Aberdeen. e've got a number of SPL-quality players; Wilson, Gallacher, Glass, maybe Phinn and Woods these days.

You seem to have an inflated opinion of your side - as Calum said earlier, a shock was always on the cards, especially with Tango and his novelty tactics. One-off results happen in football, I'm sure if you beat Hibs on Saturday it'll all be rosy in the garden again,.

I think we're a decent side. The assumption that we're shite was probably why we won. We're still struggling to adapt to the 1st division, where we maybe try and play too much football and aren't physical enough, in the midfield particularly. Last night we were immense in defence, and did well to frustrate Aberdeen. e've got a number of SPL-quality players; Wilson, Gallacher, Glass, maybe Phinn and Woods these days.

You seem to have an inflated opinion of your side - as Calum said earlier, a shock was always on the cards, especially with Tango and his novelty tactics. One-off results happen in football, I'm sure if you beat Hibs on Saturday it'll all be rosy in the garden again,.

These one-off results are happening all too fucking often though, and JC always has an excuse ready. Last night was a disastrous result, a home match against a team a division below us, something like 15,000 fans in attendance and our manager can't figure out how to get through a team that are playing tall, slow players at the back, while using short, fast strikers....

Whilst Jimmy didn't get the tactics right, I think the worst part was (and generally is when we don't play well) the inability of the players to stick to any strategies set out at the start. Obviously I don't know what was said in the dressing room before the game but pretty sure it wasn't "Stop moving off the ball and hit it long to Mackie". You'd hope the players would have enough tactical awareness themselves to know the long ball isn't working, especially if Dunfermline aren't leaving space at the back for our pacy players to get in behind them. Some leadership and motivation on the pitch would go along way with the Dons, instead our players (with the exception of Kerr and Diamond) didn't look like they wanted the ball. Surely the players are also being told from the sidelines but there just wasn't much reaction from them.

Anyway, best team on the night one I guess and good luck to them in the next round.

I think that was kingofdeon's point. Our team, given their reputations and wage packets, should by all rights be able to beat Dunfermline. Problem is they're a shower of overpaid fannies with no bottle about them, who were outplayed and outworked by a Dunfermline side who thoroughly deserved to beat us.

Enjoy it.

Thanks, that's very well put and I am enjoying it! League form might be shocking, but these trips to Hampden are happening far more than I've any right to expect.

I'll even spare you the smilie...

Can't be arsed reading all the earlier posts, so apologies if this has all been said already, but why, as a general rule, do managers almost exclusively get it in the neck after a shocker result like last night?

The players are 100% to blame as far as I'm concerned. That was a strong side we fielded last night, and as someone earlier said, they are more or less the same group of players who played Bayern.....which means they're also the same group that lost to QoS the other year.

If players who have experienced a low-point like that can't raise their game when put in a similar situation the following season, they don't deserve our support. When the game starts, the manager has fuck all control over the team, the players have to make the decisions and put the pre-match tactics into action. If a player fresh-airs a sitter, fails to make a 5-yard pass, makes a defensive blunder etc....that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the manager, and has EVERYTHING to do with the sort of spineless cunts who think they don't have to give the time of day to anyone other than Rangers, Celtic and the great and good of European football. This type of bullshit from Dons players has been going on since long before Caldo started. Skovdahl, Hegarty, Paterson, Miller all had it, and I'm not going to go down the road of calling for any manager's head, knowing full well that we've no chance of getting anyone better, especially given the financial nightmare that most Scottish clubs are about to find themselves in.

Based on the money he's had, Caldo has done alright....he's given us consistency, took us on a truly amazing UEFA run (which many fans conveniently forget too often) and has done far better than most of his post-Fergie predecessors. I don't agree with everything he does, but I think he's a half-decent manager who inherited a shite team, turned them around, has generally bought very well and has given us some decent times in the process. If anyone thinks that someone is out there that can do much better given our finance constraints, you're having a laugh.

If you want to point fingers, I refer you to Messrs Mackie, Foster, Considine, Diamond etc. These are the guys that routinely play blinders against the big teams, and go missing against the diddies. It shouldn't be the managers job to motivate players, that comes from the players.....any player who disagrees should find a proper fucking job and stop wasting fans' money.

If you want to point fingers, I refer you to Messrs Mackie, Foster, Considine, Diamond etc. These are the guys that routinely play blinders against the big teams, and go missing against the diddies. It shouldn't be the managers job to motivate players, that comes from the players.....any player who disagrees should find a proper fucking job and stop wasting fans' money.

I don't think you can blame Diamond in any way for the other night, one of the few players to get pass marks and that looked like he gave a fuck.

As for why the manager gets it in the neck, he picks the players. After every result he comes out in the press and blames them for the defeat, yet he bought them, works with them every week, says how they've let him down after every bad result then still picks them for the next disaster. Engouh already.

Lets face it Aberdeen are a poor side, the so called better players are not particularly great in my opinion! Lets look at it, Diamond I feel is totally over rated, although he does give 100% for the club. Aluko, has great potential but he's never influences a game for long enough, and lets face it he's only here because Aberdeen was the best offer he had, does everyone really think Birmingham would have let him go if he was a top notch player?

I think Aberdeen have some great players, but they are certainly not playing below there standard. Severin, really can't be assed playing for Aberdeen anymore, he wants better wages in England and will be away in the summer. Lee Miller is a great player, but he doesn't score enough goals to be classed as a top striker. And Mark Kerr really frustrates me, I thionk he is a fantastic fighter, never gives the ball away and is always trying to win it back, but he never really creates anything, I feel he needs to be a bit more adventurous, there has been so many times over the few weeks that he's seen a goal opportunity and turned to pass the ball back to an absolute donkey who has given it away, I think Kerr is brilliant, and if he starts being a little more positive on the ball he'd be even better.

And the Calderwood issue, what more can he do with what he's got? He has no money, and has taken in probably the best that has been available to him. I think eveyone has a very short memory, he's turned a team which was on the brink of destruction into a team which is on the brink of Europe and gauranteed a top 6 finish. I think he has also helped ensure that Aberdeen runs within the financial means that it has.

Lets face it Aberdeen are a poor side, the so called better players are not particularly great in my opinion! Lets look at it, Diamond I feel is totally over rated, although he does give 100% for the club. Aluko, has great potential but he's never influences a game for long enough, and lets face it he's only here because Aberdeen was the best offer he had, does everyone really think Birmingham would have let him go if he was a top notch player?

I think Aberdeen have some great players, but they are certainly not playing below there standard. Severin, really can't be assed playing for Aberdeen anymore, he wants better wages in England and will be away in the summer. Lee Miller is a great player, but he doesn't score enough goals to be classed as a top striker. And Mark Kerr really frustrates me, I thionk he is a fantastic fighter, never gives the ball away and is always trying to win it back, but he never really creates anything, I feel he needs to be a bit more adventurous, there has been so many times over the few weeks that he's seen a goal opportunity and turned to pass the ball back to an absolute donkey who has given it away, I think Kerr is brilliant, and if he starts being a little more positive on the ball he'd be even better.

And the Calderwood issue, what more can he do with what he's got? He has no money, and has taken in probably the best that has been available to him. I think eveyone has a very short memory, he's turned a team which was on the brink of destruction into a team which is on the brink of Europe and gauranteed a top 6 finish. I think he has also helped ensure that Aberdeen runs within the financial means that it has.

Agree with a lot of this but the fact remains we should beat Dunfermline in a one off(ok two..) game. Simple as. Aluko maybe a second rate Championship player but he was up against second rate ex SPL SHITE! He wasn't given the ball enough and i think Foster found the dugout more with his passing than any Aberdeen players. Now he is shite....cocky twat that he is , would have put my life on him missing that pen.

but yeah i'm not saying Aberdeen are world beaters but the bottom line is they fucked it up...

Agree with a lot of this but the fact remains we should beat Dunfermline in a one off(ok two..) game. Simple as. Aluko maybe a second rate Championship player but he was up against second rate ex SPL SHITE! He wasn't given the ball enough and i think Foster found the dugout more with his passing than any Aberdeen players. Now he is shite....cocky twat that he is , would have put my life on him missing that pen.

but yeah i'm not saying Aberdeen are world beaters but the bottom line is they fucked it up...

Thats the point I was (am) trying to make is, I don't think Aberdeen can expect to turn up and beat 1st division teams. I don't think there is a massive gap between the divisions, I think Dunfermiline could regulary compete with most teams in the SPL, probably with the exception of the Old firm, but isn't that the case within the SPL anyway, hence why the Old firm are constantly like 20-30 points clear most seasons. And again lets face it, both old firm teams are as poor as they have ever been.

Most Aberdeen players and I accept there are a few exceptions, would struggle to get a game for most other SPL teams, and would probably end up at 1st division clubs! How many Aberdeen players have went on to play for and succeed at bigger clubs at a higher level? I suggest very few

Thats the point I was (am) trying to make is, I don't think Aberdeen can expect to turn up and beat 1st division teams. I don't think there is a massive gap between the divisions, I think Dunfermiline could regulary compete with most teams in the SPL, probably with the exception of the Old firm, but isn't that the case within the SPL anyway, hence why the Old firm are constantly like 20-30 points clear most seasons. And again lets face it, both old firm teams are as poor as they have ever been.

Most Aberdeen players and I accept there are a few exceptions, would struggle to get a game for most other SPL teams, and would probably end up at 1st division clubs! How many Aberdeen players have went on to play for and succeed at bigger clubs at a higher level? I suggest very few

its all depends on what you say is success and a higher level of football, there have been a few in recent seasons who have done ok, but fair enough there have been a heap of have just disappeared after leaving the dons, you are right as well most of them wouldnt get a game anywhere else, plugs like makie and foster, two of the worst players in the SPL.

you know what pisses me off is when shite aberdeen players seem to join other SPL teams and do well for themselves. Jimmy has his favourites....lets just hope Tommy Wright doesnt become one.

Chris Crichton has a very good letter in the PnJ today. Says exactly what most of the fans are thinking. I'm not a JC hater or was in the Jimmy must go camp but enough is enough. Someone that cant see that the players he routinely picks and favours are simply not footballers must be a little dim or stubborn to the detriment of the team. He has done a good job but time for a change and time to leave some players on the bench or in the stand.

• Upvote 1

you know what pisses me off is when shite aberdeen players seem to join other SPL teams and do well for themselves. Jimmy has his favourites....lets just hope Tommy Wright doesnt become one.

I was a few rows back in the main stand on Wednesday, normally in the Merkland stand, and got feart when Tommy was raging at a Pars player. Scary guy :) Still not sure about him as a player like but if brought on earlier we may have won.

I don't think you can blame Diamond in any way for the other night, one of the few players to get pass marks and that looked like he gave a fuck.

As for why the manager gets it in the neck, he picks the players. After every result he comes out in the press and blames them for the defeat, yet he bought them, works with them every week, says how they've let him down after every bad result then still picks them for the next disaster. Engouh already.

Yeah, he does pick the players....but have you seen the size and more importantly, the quality of the rest of our squad? If he drops all these guys who have let him down who have we got in reserve that can form an even remotely competitive side? I'm not sure he's awash with options.

The bottom line is that if we bin the manager, whoever we get next will be put into an even worse financial situation than Jimmy is at the moment, and he hasn't exactly had a pot of gold to work with over the years. Furthermore, as I alluded to earlier, I have very serious doubts about whether any manager can motivate a player who fails to raise his game for a Cup QF, especially a player who experienced the QoS disaster the previous year.

Who do you realistically think we can get that's better? Seems to me that everyone's calling for his head, without any sensible plan B.

Yeah, he does pick the players....but have you seen the size and more importantly, the quality of the rest of our squad? If he drops all these guys who have let him down who have we got in reserve that can form an even remotely competitive side? I'm not sure he's awash with options.

The bottom line is that if we bin the manager, whoever we get next will be put into an even worse financial situation than Jimmy is at the moment, and he hasn't exactly had a pot of gold to work with over the years. Furthermore, as I alluded to earlier, I have very serious doubts about whether any manager can motivate a player who fails to raise his game for a Cup QF, especially a player who experienced the QoS disaster the previous year.

Who do you realistically think we can get that's better? Seems to me that everyone's calling for his head, without any sensible plan B.

Less about raising their game and more to do with bottling it and being shit scared of losing therefore losing. Same applies though. Professionals?

I hear Big Bird from Sesame Street is looking for work. He probably has the same footballing capabilities as most people connected with Aberdeen Football Club, and he'll carry on the same ridiculous manager colour Motif that Calderwood has being bright orange!

Some of the mongs in the "Your View" bit of the EE's Sport section today actually make me slightly ashmed to be an Aberdeen fan.

I think Caldo's probably ran his course and he has taken the club as far as he can, but who exactly are we going to replace him with that'll be able to match/better his level of success on a shoestring budget? In fact, who's looking for a job at the moment? John Robertson? Pele again?

Jesus wept.

Kind of what I've been thinking. There are no guarentees a new manager is going to come in and improve our fortunes. What if we sack Jimmy or he quits and we bring a new guy in and go backwards. Whilst getting embarrassed (again) is a pain in the fucking hoop, we have at least been in the right half of the table for the last four or five seasons and considering we spent how many years staring at relegation we're certainly in a better off situation.

We fucked up last week, Jimmy and the team collectively, but personally I don't think changing the manager at this stage of the season when we are actually in a European spot in the league would solve any problems. If we lose the majority of the games towards the end of the season then there is a big decision for the board to make though.

this is so typicall aberdeen fans, anyone remember the Alex Smith nonsense!!!

To all these people who say get rid of him, who do you bring in? Who would be interested in touching a club like aberdeen, why risk your reputation trying to please fans who still think we DESERVE to be third every season because of our history.

Fans need to wake up and realise we are not a big club anymore and we will always be in this situation where fans get their hopes up over nothing.

This to me seems to be a problem with the players, its not like Jimmy is the first dons manager who cannot seem to get the players interested in any other games than the old firm ones, people like makie, considine, foster, mulgrew, seve, and smith really need to take a good look at themselves and sort their fucking heads out, its their job to give their all and they just dont do it, yes makie runs about all game but to what avail? Jimmy needs to accept that because some of these players run all game it doesnt make them actual football players, ive yet to see foster control and pass the ball without fucking it up, its basics he cannot do.

• Upvote 1

Didn't Aberdeen make mention some years ago of players being given job descriptions. If so then unless they are the most generic things ever 'job = play football' then I would imagine there is a fair scope to review who is doing their job, who isn't being given the opportunity to do theirs (players played out of position) and those who have been levied with unreasonable expectations (Mackie).

The biggest problem with Aberdeen is passion. I've followed the club all my life and attended home games since 88 although admittedly less frequently in recent years. Kerr and Diamond are the only players capable of grabbing the game by the nuts when the going gets tough. No team can expect to carry 9 others who don't seem to give a shit. If you consider the avarage player at Todders must be on at least 1000 p/w they are all earning in excess of 50K a year plus bonuses. At the end of the day these fuckers don't know they are born - is it too much to expect a little passion in return for that pay check? and for the fat cuprinol coated cunt on 150K a year - value for money - only at Tropical Tan et all.

Time for a root and branch change. Get in a manager who will earn the players fear and respect in equal measure and get the boys playing for the shirt.

Well done to DAFC and best of luck in the next round. Easy for you guys to slag us and our expectations but would you be happy if Stranraer had knocked you out of a QF? (for the smart arses Stranraer are as many places below DAFC as DAFC are below Aberdeen at the time of writing)