aberdeen-music

Sky Sports is a knob.

Lemonade

The way I see it - if you love football that much, spend 30 a month (which is financially about 3 pints of beer a week) and is also less than most people's ridiculous mobile phone bills.

If you don't love football that much or are completely broke, just go down to the pub (and drink water) for the games you want to see. Then in the comfort of your own home you can enjoy match of the day and match of the day 2, which will also skip most of the boring parts of the nil nil draws that you don't want to watch anyway.

But until your average snooker players get paid 80k a week, attract millions and millions of viewers, and your kids ask for Steven Hendry outfits for their Birthday you cannot compare Snooker and football.

The way I see it - if you love football that much, spend 30 a month (which is financially about 3 pints of beer a week) and is also less than most people's ridiculous mobile phone bills.

If you don't love football that much or are completely broke, just go down to the pub (and drink water) for the games you want to see. Then in the comfort of your own home you can enjoy match of the day and match of the day 2, which will also skip most of the boring parts of the nil nil draws that you don't want to watch anyway.

But until your average snooker players get paid 80k a week, attract millions and millions of viewers, and your kids ask for Steven Hendry outfits for their Birthday you cannot compare Snooker and football.

haha steven hendry outfits!! I would love to see one of them.

sky are annoying but i am more than happy with the bbc highlights via match of the day. then again i'm regularly attending matches these days. setanta are even more annoying because they keep rearranging cambridge united games for their tv coverage. then again they do give us money for appearing live!

there's far too much football on television in my opinion anyways.

Not sure if they do!?

If the Blue Square deal is the same as the SPL's then the club gets bugger all for actually appearing live... They work it on a split pot basis - the money is all lumped into one and split between the teams on a league position basis, Top gets the most, Bottom the least. My team (St Mirren) have featured heavily on Setanta this season due to the new stadium situation (plus the last visits of of the Glasgow Mobs to the old stadium) but wont get any more money other than what we would normally receive for our end of season league position. SKY on the other hand, split 170k between the two teams featured in Scottish Cup games, and since Saints have featured twice already and at least(:up:) one more appearance to come, we've pocketed a healthy profit this year from TV revenues.

Which is handy...

Another drawback of the Setanta deal is that Saints have only had one 3pm Saturday kick off at the new stadium between it opening and the forthcoming split! :down:

Guest idol_wild

Steven Hendry. The only professional snooker player whose face comes with free garlic bread.

German and Dutch...pish

You'd have to not be able to understand league tables or how football matches work if you seriously believe the German league's not been exciting this year. There's about 5 or 6 teams, some of which were write-offs at the start of the season, gunning for top spot! Hertha Berlin and Hoffenheim have come out of nowhere, Leverkusen have had somewhat of a revival, Bayern Munich are playing well, playing excellent football with Ribery on the form of his career and yet aren't topping the league... it's been a fantastic season in Germany, I can't believe you've actually watched any German football and believe in that statemant at all. Same with Holland, the likes of Ajax and PSV aren't guaranteed titles anymore, it's very open, and some of the games have been great, like an Ajax v Feyenoord match I saw on Setanta near the end of '08.

Unbelievable. Stop making stuff up.

• Upvote 1

Not sure if they do!?

If the Blue Square deal is the same as the SPL's then the club gets bugger all for actually appearing live... They work it on a split pot basis - the money is all lumped into one and split between the teams on a league position basis, Top gets the most, Bottom the least. My team (St Mirren) have featured heavily on Setanta this season due to the new stadium situation (plus the last visits of of the Glasgow Mobs to the old stadium) but wont get any more money other than what we would normally receive for our end of season league position. SKY on the other hand, split 170k between the two teams featured in Scottish Cup games, and since Saints have featured twice already and at least(:up:) one more appearance to come, we've pocketed a healthy profit this year from TV revenues.

Which is handy...

Another drawback of the Setanta deal is that Saints have only had one 3pm Saturday kick off at the new stadium between it opening and the forthcoming split! :down:

i'm pretty sure the BSP clubs are paid per appearance from setanta and they have a commitment to show every team at least once. i dont think its very much and the inconvience for changing live games to suit is somewhat annoying, then again i get to see games i might not have seen and when i was an exiled supporter last season it was a god send (especially as i couldnt make it to wembley for the play off final).

i too agree with limiting the amount of foreigners in the premiership although it would be complicated due to us being in the EC! i would prefer it to be british/irish as opposed to just english. its all too easy for the premiership clubs to go out and get some 2nd rate spaniard or german on loan during the transfer window instead of playing home grown talent. at least the likes of spurs, villa, middlesboro and even man u have a decent amount of home grown talent in their squads. as has been said, if any kind of rule was imposed then arsenal and wenger would be well fucked!!!

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
i too agree with limiting the amount of foreigners in the premiership although it would be complicated due to us being in the EC! i would prefer it to be british/irish as opposed to just english. its all too easy for the premiership clubs to go out and get some 2nd rate spaniard or german on loan during the transfer window instead of playing home grown talent. at least the likes of spurs, villa, middlesboro and even man u have a decent amount of home grown talent in their squads. as has been said, if any kind of rule was imposed then arsenal and wenger would be well fucked!!!

The point on the less foreigners rule shouldn't really be clouded by EC. There's nothing stopping clubs employing them as such, it's just they have to have a certain number of English (or British) on the field of play at one time.

Employment law rules don't come into the national game for example. No Germans are allowed to play for France, which could be argued to be a restraint of trade, or restriction on the free movement of workers, but that would really just be silly. :)

I would like to see the 6+5 rule implemented but it would hard as fuck to enforce as there are too many loopholes. eg Arsenal sign a 16 year old Spanish player and put him through their academy. By the time he's ready for first team football, he's eligible to apply for a British passport, which makes him a homegrown British player. Then there's the issue of what makes someone "British", for example if an African family move to Britain on asylum, they have a one year old son who was born in Africa. He grows up in Britian, goes through the school system here, works and pays taxes in Britain, speaks with an English accent, feels British, so who's to tell this guy he isn't British? Would he be eligible?

I like the idea of the rule but they need to have definite rules in place for eligibilty, and none of this grandparents bullshit, I hate that rule. If one of my grandparents is Canadian, the other three are Scottish, my parents were born in Scotland, I was born in Scotland, there's no fucking way I should be eligible to play for Canada.

I would like to see the 6+5 rule implemented but it would hard as fuck to enforce as there are too many loopholes. eg Arsenal sign a 16 year old Spanish player and put him through their academy. By the time he's ready for first team football, he's eligible to apply for a British passport, which makes him a homegrown British player. Then there's the issue of what makes someone "British", for example if an African family move to Britain on asylum, they have a one year old son who was born in Africa. He grows up in Britian, goes through the school system here, works and pays taxes in Britain, speaks with an English accent, feels British, so who's to tell this guy he isn't British? Would he be eligible?

I like the idea of the rule but they need to have definite rules in place for eligibilty, none of this grandparents bullshit.

these issues are getting sorted tho, platini is pushing through the law to make it illegal to sign an under 18 player from abroad and our combined FA's are trying to get the issue of blood line sorted, they want to make it so players who have lived all their lives in a country can be elligable for the countrys national team, like the case of Andrew Driver from Hearts who is english but has lived here his whole life and wants to play for scotland,

these issues are getting sorted tho, platini is pushing through the law to make it illegal to sign an under 18 player from abroad and our combined FA's are trying to get the issue of blood line sorted, they want to make it so players who have lived all their lives in a country can be elligable for the countrys national team, like the case of Andrew Driver from Hearts who is english but has lived here his whole life and wants to play for scotland,

That bloodline rule is just one of the rules of the game that really fucks me off (see my edited post above) it gives players who weren't good enough to play for the country of their birth a chance to play for a back-up country, like Jamaica for example, which is or at least used to be, mostly made up of English players who weren't good enough to play for England and had probably never set foot in Jamaica before they got called up. Having a foreign grandparent should not make you eligible for that country. Parents, OK fair enough, I can understand, but not grandparents, that's going too far back.

The foreign passport thing totally sucks ass as well, there's Brazilians playing for Portugal and Spain, Poles playing for Germany etc.

the ireland team under jack charlton was a good example of wrangling the rules! then again they did rather well under him with england rejects such as andy townsend!

there must a be a workable solution to the problem, i think we all agree there are too many foreigners in the premiership.

That bloodline rule is just one of the rules of the game that really fucks me off (see my edited post above) it gives players who weren't good enough to play for the country of their birth a chance to play for a back-up country, like Jamaica for example, which is or at least used to be, mostly made up of English players who weren't good enough to play for England and had probably never set foot in Jamaica before they got called up. Having a foreign grandparent should not make you eligible for that country. Parents, OK fair enough, I can understand, but not grandparents, that's going too far back.

The foreign passport thing totally sucks ass as well, there's Brazilians playing for Portugal and Spain, Poles playing for Germany etc.

ive never been a big fan of the rule but ive never been sure where the cut off point should be who's to say someone who has say scottish grandparents yet their folks were born and lived in england their whole life, who says they are not scottish? Its a very grey area really, the other point i have is why does blood line matter? If someone has lived their whole life in a country, speak with a local accent then who is too say they are less scottish than me or you?

As for the passport thing, i was under the impression that these guys change their nationality which would then qualify them for the country, i think, i cant really see a problem with that, if the national team thinks they are good enough and they are allowed to play then let them. with the poland one, these players all have polish parents/grandparents so thats why play. I wasnt aware of any brazilians playing for spain tho, mostly just portugal and one or two random ones in a few eastern eurpoean nations.

ive never been a big fan of the rule but ive never been sure where the cut off point should be who's to say someone who has say scottish grandparents yet their folks were born and lived in england their whole life, who says they are not scottish? Its a very grey area really, the other point i have is why does blood line matter? If someone has lived their whole life in a country, speak with a local accent then who is too say they are less scottish than me or you?

As for the passport thing, i was under the impression that these guys change their nationality which would then qualify them for the country, i think, i cant really see a problem with that, if the national team thinks they are good enough and they are allowed to play then let them. with the poland one, these players all have polish parents/grandparents so thats why play. I wasnt aware of any brazilians playing for spain tho, mostly just portugal and one or two random ones in a few eastern eurpoean nations.

The guy Senna from Villareal that plays for Spain is Brazilian born and bred but got a Spanish passport. I'm sure there's loads of Argentinians play for Spain and Italy as well - or at least so my Argentinian mate claims. Though he has been known to make stuff up.

what was it like being a season ticket holder 20 years ago vs now?

that would be one of the good indicator as to what TV has done or taken away from football. there are a huge amount of people who adore football but rarely go to games (due to money, too easy to watch on the telly etc).

Nothing compares to being there watching your team, laughing with the banter/peoples conversations, being united with a bunch of people you wouldn't go near with a barge pole normally, seeing all of the link up play and movements, hearing the players shoutng at eachother, celebrating a goal, dying in agony and frustration etc If Montrose ever played on the telly and I wasn't at the game I don't know how i would be.

The guy Senna from Villareal that plays for Spain is Brazilian born and bred but got a Spanish passport. I'm sure there's loads of Argentinians play for Spain and Italy as well - or at least so my Argentinian mate claims. Though he has been known to make stuff up.

ah ok never knew he was, i dont think there are any argentines tho, again i may be wrong tho but looking at their last squad i cant pick any out. You find tho its the smaller countrys who struggle who try and envoke this rule and you can see why.

Guest treader.
Nothing compares to being there watching your team, laughing with the banter/peoples conversations, being united with a bunch of people you wouldn't go near with a barge pole normally, seeing all of the link up play and movements, hearing the players shoutng at eachother, celebrating a goal, dying in agony and frustration etc If Montrose ever played on the telly and I wasn't at the game I don't know how i would be.

Too true. I remember the first football game I ever went to see at Pittodrie (I was probably like 6 or 7) and I remember when Aberdeen scored, the place fucking erupted.

Now, I'd only ever heard that 'eruption' on TV before, and the two aren't in any way comparable. You really get caught up in the action/emotion when you're at a live game.

that would be one of the good indicator as to what TV has done or taken away from football. there are a huge amount of people who adore football but rarely go to games (due to money, too easy to watch on the telly etc).

having experienced watching cambridge quite a lot on the telly recently i feel really uncomfortable as an armchair viewer especially as i am back on the terraces regularly now. you just cannot beat the match day experience for all the reasons described above (couldnt have put it better meself maxie) but i think now a generation of people are used to watching games from their armchairs and simply dont have the passion for a club such as maxie does for montrose or i do for cambridge.

Too true. I remember the first football game I ever went to see at Pittodrie (I was probably like 6 or 7) and I remember when Aberdeen scored, the place fucking erupted.

Now, I'd only ever heard that 'eruption' on TV before, and the two aren't in any way comparable. You really get caught up in the action/emotion when you're at a live game.

nae much "eruptions" at almondvale other than that italian boys finances these days!

I agree with a lot of that in principle.

I'd be a Spurs season ticket holder if I lived in London, but alas I don't.

I've been to White Hart Lane before and it was an incredible atmosphere, however I do still get huge adrenaline rushes just watching them on the TV.

I'd say watching Mo FC is a different vibe altogether though. It's more of a laugh and banter than a serious game of football, where results mean precious little except to have a short-lasting one-upmanship over the fans of the other angus teams.

I'd say watching Mo FC is a different vibe altogether though. It's more of a laugh and banter than a serious game of football, where results mean precious little except to have a short-lasting one-upmanship over the fans of the other angus teams.

LOL.

p.s. I am imagining Maxis head exploding right now.