aberdeen-music

Traffic Wardens

FatHand

The wee car park beside Illicit Still? Do they ever close that gate? I parked there last Thursday when I went to Snafu, but wasn't sure if it was just left open for shoppers...?

That's the one. I've never been locked in there but I'm not saying for sure that they don't. It has been open until after midnight whenever I've parked there to go to gigs at the Tunnels recently.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Back Wynd OK? Thought it was just taxis and disabled badge holders.

I don't know, I've done it loads of times when I've been at gigs in Tunnels or Drummonds, and no-one has ever stopped me or given me a ticket. I'm not saying this DEFINITELY makes it legal. But if you're right up at the Schoolhill end you're not really in the way.

• 1 month later...

Now they have their eyes on motorbikes - I've wondered when they would start targeting riders. :mad:

BIKERS in Aberdeen were today accused of abusing the system by skipping parking charges in the Granite City.

Officers at Aberdeen City Council have been asked to investigate after it was claimed free parking bays for motorbikes across Aberdeen were not being used.

And a report to the Aberdeen City Councils controlled parking working group said many motorbikes were being left in Aberdeens conventional pay and display parking bays. It said charging was difficult to enforce because there was nowhere secure to put a parking ticket.

Aberdeen City Councils lead councillor for transport, Ron Clark, who is on the committee, said: Some motorcyclists are abusing the system.

If there is a charge for the car park, then they should be paying for it.

Probe as bikers stop for free in Aberdeen car parks - Evening Express

I don't know, I've done it loads of times when I've been at gigs in Tunnels or Drummonds, and no-one has ever stopped me or given me a ticket. I'm not saying this DEFINITELY makes it legal. But if you're right up at the Schoolhill end you're not really in the way.

I wouldn't park on Back Wynd. It's the only place I've parked and had my car vandalised - a lovely long scrape along the boot, going neatly over the lock and then carrying on to the other side. What hurt more was that there was a big wanky bespoilered Mitsubishi parked in front and they picked on my little Yaris.

I always used to park near the Carmelite hotel when visiting my friend on Market Street. Bit of a dodgy area but I never had any problems and it's a wee bit closer to the Tunnels than Littlejohn Street with more spaces.

Try living on Schoolhill for parking hell... my boyfriend got three tickets in the space of a fortnight when they brought the nighttime wardens back in at the end of last year :(

Now they have their eyes on motorbikes - I've wondered when they would start targeting riders. :mad:

Probe as bikers stop for free in Aberdeen car parks - Evening Express

I never usually let mine out of my sight, mostly park on the pavement in front of the window wherever I am. If I see a warden then I drive off before they can do anything. On the occasion that it must be stowed out of eyeshot for a while I leave go somewhere very quiet and off the beaten track with lots of nooks and crannies and take my chances.

I never usually let mine out of my sight, mostly park on the pavement in front of the window wherever I am. If I see a warden then I drive off before they can do anything. On the occasion that it must be stowed out of eyeshot for a while I leave go somewhere very quiet and off the beaten track with lots of nooks and crannies and take my chances.

I had a dream last night that you owned a Bed & Breakfast on the site of the old Woolies in the Bon Accord centre. The shop was still full of Woolies stock and the rooms were up at the back. I was staying one night and you gave me a rollocking in the morning for sleep-walking and pissing all over your leather sofa (which was in the middle of the shop) despite the fact that it wasn't me.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
I had a dream last night that you owned a Bed & Breakfast on the site of the old Woolies in the Bon Accord centre. The shop was still full of Woolies stock and the rooms were up at the back. I was staying one night and you gave me a rollocking in the morning for sleep-walking and pissing all over your leather sofa (which was in the middle of the shop) despite the fact that it wasn't me.

You should lay off the crack dude.

Yup, similar - Although I have a feeling this idea has a lot more to do with them thinking about extending their ticketing to bikes and we may not be able to bank on doing that for much longer. :(

• 2 weeks later...
Is Back Wynd OK? Thought it was just taxis and disabled badge holders.

Unless things have dramatically changed, Back Wynd was for Green badge holders at the very start, with taxis the rest of the way. I know someone who posesses a Blue Badge and was caught out there.

The various disabled badge regs are a nightmare TBH. Never mind that they have had a major overhaul at national and local level in the last few years. I defy anyone to get them all right all the time and although the legislation puts the onus on authorities to use a degree of sensitivy, discretion and plain old common sense, many don't. :(

• 3 weeks later...
Don't park in places where you're not supposed o park, then they'll be made redundant.

Simple.

So what about the 16-18 tickets I've had cancelled in the last few years, because I was properly parked and paid for when they were issued then?

I've only had one deserved ticket in my life and that was ages ago. Long before the current regs came into force.

So what about the 16-18 tickets I've had cancelled in the last few years, because I was properly parked and paid for when they were issued then?

I've only had one deserved ticket in my life and that was ages ago. Long before the current regs came into force.

Fuck knows, I guess I would need to know more about the circumstances before I could comment on them, all I know is I've had a few tickets in my time, but on each occassion it's been a fair cop. It's fucking annoying at the time (worst one was getting done outside Mrs Bigsby's folks' house on 27th December, but technically I should have had a pass, even though there were no fucking students near the place) but the actual traffic wardens are just doing their job usually.

If we didn't have them people would just take the piss, look at what started happening when they didn't have them out in the evening? Folk just parked anywhere, and usually yellow lines are there for a sensible reason.

The various disabled badge regs are a nightmare TBH. Never mind that they have had a major overhaul at national and local level in the last few years. I defy anyone to get them all right all the time and although the legislation puts the onus on authorities to use a degree of sensitivy, discretion and plain old common sense, many don't. :(

And yet very few/if any checks are actually done on the usage of the badges.

I can also tell you for a categorical fact that you can get a blue badge from Poland (they're valid EU-wide) as long as a doctor confirms your disability. Given the widespread corruption in the NFZ (equal of the NHS) - it really isn't difficult to get hold of one if you're so inclined.

And yet very few/if any checks are actually done on the usage of the badges.

I can also tell you for a categorical fact that you can get a blue badge from Poland (they're valid EU-wide) as long as a doctor confirms your disability. Given the widespread corruption in the NFZ (equal of the NHS) - it really isn't difficult to get hold of one if you're so inclined.

I almost forgot you were in Poland, thanks for the reminder.

:up: