aberdeen-music

Traffic Wardens

FatHand

I know it's not their fault as individuals, it's their job at the end of the day but just cunts. I've had tickets for parking on double yellows outside my flat due to no spaces in the surrounding area but I'm happy to pay that, my laziness was the issue and I got caught leaving it there over night. Its not a busy road for through traffic but the yellows are there for a reason, safe flow of traffic, so I accept my monetary punishment.

I do, however, find it incredibly cynical that the council send wardens to do their round down by the Tunnels around 7pm on a Friday night just as bands are loading in gear. It's hardly like you stay longer than you have to on that road plus it's not exactly so busy road that by parking just round the corner out of the way causes problems to other drivers... its a dead end that the only reason for being there is to load in gear to the venue or make a delivery. You can probably tell from this I got a ticket, grrrrrr.

But I've seen cars and lorries dangerously parked for longer than I was down at the Tunnels loading in and on busier roads (not dead ends) not getting any penalty, which for me proves wardens are not employed for public safety but for generating cash only. So cunts.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suggest you read-up on the loading regs, stick to them and challenge any subsequent ticket then. Go right the way to a tribunal if you have to. Remember to ask for expenses. ;)

Don't let them away with it and don't be fobbed-off with any demands for a copy of a delivery note/invoice etc to "prove" you were loading - a simple witness statement is fine enough.

A pal was ticketed here recently:

3317252592_013657a4a0.jpg

You can see the vestigal remains of the lines in the photo but on a dark evening, they were quite invisible to the eye and in no way compliant with the TSRGD.

The Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2002

DFT Traffic Signs Manual:

Department for Transport - Traffic Signs Manual

Which is useful reference as a whole load of Aberdeen's road markings and signs don't comply.

Then there is the possibility of the ticket/"offence code" etc being wrong/non-compliant, so you should always ask for a copy of the patrollers contemporaneous notes but after having to hand back 2.65 million in illegally imposed fines due to invalid tickets recently, I would hope they have got that in order now?

Either way, there are several good sites for assistance if you feel you have been wrongly ticketed, so do make use of them if you feel hard done by.

Not that I am defending the pricks who feel it is their right to park dangerously/selfishly/obstructively of course - They fully deserve all they get. :swearing:

I got one while I was playing at a Fudge night at the Moorings a few months back, I was parked on the road at the side of the tattoo place, the one that goes up to the old Drakes. AT 10PM ON A SATURDAY NIGHT! Why are there traffic wardens working at 10pm on a Satuday night? I'm not even convinced I was parked illegally.

. AT 10PM ON A SATURDAY NIGHT! Why are there traffic wardens working at 10pm on a Satuday night? I'm not even convinced I was parked illegally.

See above:

after having to hand back 2.65 million in illegally imposed fines due to invalid tickets recently

They are determined to recoup the losses from somewhere IMO.

I think that street is in some form of zone, so they don't need the normal markings as everything is dependant on the signs at the boundary. Mind you, every sign needs to be right for it to be legal, so again it is worth checking. :)

Was just ranting really and left it too late to make a challenge which is probably as much why I'm pissed off. It's also the fact they know people are going to be loading in and they go to specifically catch you out and get their stats up (banker style bonuses for the biggest hauls). Typically it's all about money and not about safety. In financial times like theses people need to keep hold of their money as much as possible, all the while the council are grabbing at it as much as they can... they regularly snatch it out of your hand and then kick you in the balls.

This is not a word of a lie, one night two seasons ago I was going to Pittodrie to a Wednesday night match. I was running really late and was walking down Linksfield Road, Ardarroch Road etc. about 15 minutes after kick off. I passed three traffic wardens who were just walking down the streets ticketing every single car. It wasn't like they just happened to be there, they had obviously decided in advance "right we'll send three guys up to Pittodrie tonight and we'll get hundreds of cars ticketed". Bastards.

This is not a word of a lie, one night two seasons ago I was going to Pittodrie to a Wednesday night match. I was running really late and was walking down Linksfield Road, Ardarroch Road etc. about 15 minutes after kick off. I passed three traffic wardens who were just walking down the streets ticketing every single car. It wasn't like they just happened to be there, they had obviously decided in advance "right we'll send three guys up to Pittodrie tonight and we'll get hundreds of cars ticketed". Bastards.

The sad thing is I'm not even surprised in the slightest that they would do something like that...

It wasn't like they just happened to be there, they had obviously decided in advance "right we'll send three guys up to Pittodrie tonight and we'll get hundreds of cars ticketed". Bastards.

I know - Used to live down there. :(

In fact, guess what got me interested in the minutae of parking enforcement in the first place. Not paying one of those again unless I really I had to :)

It's also the fact they know people are going to be loading

all the while the council are grabbing at it as much as they can... they regularly snatch it out of your hand and then kick you in the balls.

Yes and there is some anecdotal evidence that things have got a lot worse since they allowed remote-issue of tickets via CCTV. Loading and general emergencies/brief stops particularly - Instant PCN!

Which is all the more reason why we shouldn't pay-up so easily, esp when it turns out that so many aspects of the basic legal compliance are so often treated with utter contempt by councils, leaving them with no right to impose them at all.

I got a 60 fine for parking outside Drummonds in November last year, I contested the fine and it was up held, so I paid it. The argument i received from the Council was that Belmont St was a Gold zone, so no cars were ever permitted, so at no time could I be there for any reason! However I contacted the council before we played last week to see what the script was, and was told that I could have 15 minutes if I was unloading. So I contacted the Council again to try and get my fine money back, as on the initial occassion I was only parked for 10 mins tops, well within the guide lines given, and was told there was no way my money could be refunded.

Now I think we need traffic Warden and they have a really hard job. But I think it is totally unfair that I am out of pocket because they either don't understand or know the laws, and incorrect desicions were not reversed, if there was consistency between them, I wouldn't mind so much.

I heard recently that when you get a ticket in a private car park like in Asda or Morrisons, they have absolutely no legal rights to claim that money from you. This is annoying because i used to get a ticket in Morrisons about once a week when I worked in the centre of town. Anyone know if this is true?

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Oh, there are far more than 3 per match going about Pittodrie at match times. I used to live on King Street at the top of Merkland Road. They are actually there before the parking restrictions start and they just start dishing tickets out. I had to argue my fiancee out of a parking ticket when Aberdeen played Hertha Berlin - the signs say something like "Parking is permitted except during events at Pittodrie during 1pm-5pm or 6.30pm-9pm" The Hertha Berlin game was a 5pm kickoff so they just made it up and started ticketing folk from 5pm onwards.

We've argued our way out of a couple of tickets - always midweek games. It's ridiculous - they say it's up to each individual to find out when games are on etc. I argued that there should be a sign up with all fixtures, but they were having none of it. I'm a football fan (not an Aberdeen fan), and I don't know every single game that Aberdeen play - so the chances of my fiancee who doesn't give a flying fuck about football or my Mum who got a ticket one night she was visiting, or my grandparents or whatever. Bastards.

But yeah, we successfullly argued our way out of each of those tickets :)

I heard recently that when you get a ticket in a private car park like in Asda or Morrisons, they have absolutely no legal rights to claim that money from you. This is annoying because i used to get a ticket in Morrisons about once a week when I worked in the centre of town. Anyone know if this is true?

That's true. I would cite the case if I could remember the name of it. Whoever it was clamped a car that was in their private car park, and they (the clampers) were guilty of "theft by appropriation" - i.e. restricting the owners the use of their car.

To dish out valid tickets you have to have the authority of the local authority - traffic wardens & police pretty much.

Absolutely true - simply ignore them.

I'm sure the ones they give you in Morrisons have the Aberdeen City Council seal on them, so they possibly do have authority,.

If they do, then they are almost certainly illegal - Its a criminal offence for a private contractor to misrepresent their tickets as something official, but happens all the time IME - which is another reason they rerely if ever go to court. :up:

Unless of course the car park is actually a council one and patrolled by council staff/contractors - which did happen in some retail parks till they were sold-off.

I'm sure the ones they give you in Morrisons have the Aberdeen City Council seal on them, so they possibly do have authority,.

That probably means they nicked a whole heap of the little sticky plastic bag things from the Council. Thieving bastards.

Wirelessly posted (Vodafone/1.0/SEX1i/R1AA Opera/9.5 (Microsoft Windows; PPC; Opera Mobi/2141; U; UK) UP.Link/6.3.1.20.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1)

Looked past Morrisons on y way into town just now and the company working it are a firm called CP-Plus. Who are well known pisstakers who don't do court, mainly because there is no way their tickets or methods would stand up.

So if you or anyone known to you gets a ticket there, the best thing to do is ignore it and all the subsequent strident demands to the registered keeper by mail.

That's true. I would cite the case if I could remember the name of it. Whoever it was clamped a car that was in their private car park, and they (the clampers) were guilty of "theft by appropriation" - i.e. restricting the owners the use of their car.

To dish out valid tickets you have to have the authority of the local authority - traffic wardens & police pretty much.

Black v Carmichael.