aberdeen-music

MY VITRIOL & The XCerts-Sun 17 May @ Tunnels

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Finally got round to listening to my X-Certs album last night. First listen, and I liked it. Wasn't totally blown away, but it's the sort of thing that will grow on me.

I really really like track 10 "Aberdeen 1987" I think it's called.

Guest idol_wild
Finally got round to listening to my X-Certs album last night. First listen, and I liked it. Wasn't totally blown away, but it's the sort of thing that will grow on me.

I really really like track 10 "Aberdeen 1987" I think it's called.

It totally will grow on you. I think Murray has this amazing knack of knowing exactly when to throw in a sad chord, but maintain the overall power and energy generated by the music as a whole. I've listened to the album quite a lot lately.

I saw them in Glasgow recently and they were in stunning form. I'm quite excited by the prospect of seeing them on Sunday. :up:

It totally will grow on you. I think Murray has this amazing knack of knowing exactly when to throw in a sad chord, but maintain the overall power and energy generated by the music as a whole. I've listened to the album quite a lot lately.

I saw them in Glasgow recently and they were in stunning form. I'm quite excited by the prospect of seeing them on Sunday. :up:

Yeah I cant wait - was excited enough when I confirmed My Vitriol, but just makes it all the better with Xcerts. Playing the album alot and really impressed. Ah 2 days to go!!!!! :)

Jolly Good!! :kiss:

Ever so slight change to the times

XCERTS 8.30-9.15 as before

MY VITRIOL 9.45-11.15 slightly earlier - yep 1 1/2 hours is planned! Woo!!!

Ticket sitaution

40 left in One Up

30 odd left at Welcome to TicketWeb!

Whatevers left of the remaining 70 will be on the door but selling about 20-30 a day just now and weekend should see most go. Will post on Sunday to say how many we will have at the venue at 7.30!

THIS IS TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It really is a grower. I liked it from the off, but it gets better with more listens. In fact, a quick look at my ipod shows that it's top of the Most Played.

Treasure it! We always have a nice surprise for the person that buys No 1 (if we notice at the door!) although not sure its fair because people on line bought before you - but I dont know what number they get so tough shit!)

:)

I'm holding you to this 'surprise' for my early bird ticket purchase :up:

Lord knows I need cheering up today after Caley bottled it against Kilmarnock :down:

I'm holding you to this 'surprise' for my early bird ticket purchase :up:

Lord knows I need cheering up today after Caley bottled it against Kilmarnock :down:

Oh shit, I hate when I make empty promises and then people remember! Mmm better get thinking I suppose! Or will a pint do?

That was a fuckin awesome gig!! Right at the back though so saw fuck all!! The cover of that Katy Perry tune was a highlight! Although after the gig all that i could think of was other bands i want to tour and release new stuff like, Ultrasound, Marion and Campag Velocet. I'm sure that there is more but i'm to pished to think at the mo! I can't wait for the new My Vitrol album to come out, most of the new stuff they played was ace, especially the 1st new tune they played!!

I Wish i was at this, but i was over seeing departures.

i really like xcerts, especially the bit at the end of "Home Versus Home" where it goes from being quite upbeat, into the "i lost love, you love your father" bit.

great tune.

Very meaningful song, if you know the band members.

Great band, great song. Very exciting live prospect.

Bit of a let down for me, but this may be due to bias at listening to heavier stuff at the moment, thought The Xcerts were tight but lightweight and meandering!, My Vitriol, were poor, time has not be kind to there sound, had all these mid 90s Brit Rock bands in my head, Feeder, Manson, Placebo, etc, nice big crowd though!, overall dated!!

Bit of a let down for me, but this may be due to bias at listening to heavier stuff at the moment, thought The Xcerts were tight but lightweight and meandering!, My Vitriol, were poor, time has not be kind to there sound, had all these mid 90s Brit Rock bands in my head, Feeder, Manson, Placebo, etc, nice big crowd though!, overall dated!!

Eh?!

I thought they sounded amazing, been waiting a long time to see that band and they did not dissapoint. That is one of my favourite albums of all time and they lived up to all my expectations last night - aside from the Katy Perry cover...bizarre.

I came away a little jaded...

The sound for X-Certs was absolutely fantastic, a big reflection on the talents of Scotty and the X-Certs ability to fill a room with a wall of sound!

The sound for the first 3 or 4 My Vitriol songs was pretty awful in my opinion, where the snare drum overpowered everything. After that it improved... but my ears were ringing for hours afterwards! It also dawned on me during their show that i'd basically bought my ticket to see 'Always your way' and 'Cemented Shoes' live again. Wasn't really fussed by any of the other songs, and ended up musing on two things:

1. Has the singer always had those child-like hands?

2. Was that the original bassist? As I remember being attracted to the My Vitriol bassist when I was about 15 or 16... surely my taste in women wasn't that bad when I was younger!? If it was the same bassist, she must've spent the last 10 years evolving into a Troll Doll. Also... was her microphone even on? and was most of her basslines actually a backing track?

Still a worthwhile experience, which reignited memories of my 'youth'. Also made me listen to quite a bit of Terrorvision, Fungus, Cay, Symposium, Therapy?, Pitchshifter and Wilt today :)

Oh and as an afterthought... straight after the X-Certs played, on came a song by Immanu El (or was it Ef?); big kudos whoever made that decision! Cracking song.

Just my opinion on the night event as I saw it, thats all, That wasnt the original bass player, she was rubbish, well dog like! not sure it was her playing to be honest, mic surely wasnt on, was it?, In comparison I was saying to my brother how important Therapy are, everyone else has fellen by the wayside, but they are vital in my opinion, Crooked Timber, yas min!

If it was the same bassist, she must've spent the last 10 years evolving into a Troll Doll.

Carolyn Bannister didn't rejoin the rest of the band for the reunion. Now the bass player is called Laura Claire I think.

I came away a little jaded...

The sound for X-Certs was absolutely fantastic, a big reflection on the talents of Scotty and the X-Certs ability to fill a room with a wall of sound!

The sound for the first 3 or 4 My Vitriol songs was pretty awful in my opinion, where the snare drum overpowered everything. After that it improved... but my ears were ringing for hours afterwards! It also dawned on me during their show that i'd basically bought my ticket to see 'Always your way' and 'Cemented Shoes' live again. Wasn't really fussed by any of the other songs, and ended up musing on two things:

1. Has the singer always had those child-like hands?

2. Was that the original bassist? As I remember being attracted to the My Vitriol bassist when I was about 15 or 16... surely my taste in women wasn't that bad when I was younger!? If it was the same bassist, she must've spent the last 10 years evolving into a Troll Doll. Also... was her microphone even on? and was most of her basslines actually a backing track?

Still a worthwhile experience, which reignited memories of my 'youth'. Also made me listen to quite a bit of Terrorvision, Fungus, Cay, Symposium, Therapy?, Pitchshifter and Wilt today :)

Oh and as an afterthought... straight after the X-Certs played, on came a song by Immanu El (or was it Ef?); big kudos whoever made that decision! Cracking song.

It wasnt the origianl bassist. Parts were backing tracks to some songs but the same parts that have always been backing tracks. She has been with the band for a while and whether or not she is a troll or not doesnt really matter.

And it was my CD that had Immanu El on it. I put them on last year when they came to the UK and love that EP. Looking at getting them back soon.

I honestly thought My Vitriol were damn good but each to their own. It was everything I wanted it to be and the lighting made such a difference to the atmosphere in Tunnels. Was nice to see it packed.

What gig were you at man?

I don't think my vitriol dated at all. Infact, their stuff possibly sounds more at home in 2009 than it did before. And the new songs were so good: some technical and interesting stuff being played.