aberdeen-music

House Music

Guest Giles Walker

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's probably wishful thinking that the large capacity clubs (or orange girl clubs (OGCs) as I like to call them), would get involved with the regular type of nights that happen in the likes of Origin and Snafu (Kef :( ) as they are run for profit not class. Don't lump Tropicana in with either of these lot, it doesn't try to be anything other than it is, it's the club equivalent to going to watch an awesome cover band. Plus it's possibly one of the most fun clubs in town if you dig the nostalgia (or novelty for those younger than a certain age).

What I think would be good is to see some more bars filling the massive gap in the market, there is nothing better than going to a bar that plays great tunes. I'd be happy for anything from house to hip hop as long as it's good, played by someone with taste ... Estaminet was great for this (when it existed) as was the Wild Boar when it did it many moons ago. Top of my head the only bars that do this are bar 99 and Five. Add to this list if you can think of any... oh hang on, the old Morgan's bar too, and maybe the basement and Moorings. That's still not enough. Beluga has what looks like a purple helix disco in it now and plays worse music than a school disco, what a shame that's happened.

Bring back the quality bar DJs. (could also be the education that some of the OGC goers need to get an appreciation for quality music too)

It's probably wishful thinking that the large capacity clubs (or orange girl clubs (OGCs) as I like to call them), would get involved with the regular type of nights that happen in the likes of Origin and Snafu (Kef :( ) as they are run for profit not class. Don't lump Tropicana in with either of these lot, it doesn't try to be anything other than it is, it's the club equivalent to going to watch an awesome cover band. Plus it's possibly one of the most fun clubs in town if you dig the nostalgia (or novelty for those younger than a certain age).

What I think would be good is to see some more bars filling the massive gap in the market, there is nothing better than going to a bar that plays great tunes. I'd be happy for anything from house to hip hop as long as it's good, played by someone with taste ... Estaminet was great for this (when it existed) as was the Wild Boar when it did it many moons ago. Top of my head the only bars that do this are bar 99 and Five. Add to this list if you can think of any... oh hang on, the old Morgan's bar too, and maybe the basement and Moorings. That's still not enough. Beluga has what looks like a purple helix disco in it now and plays worse music than a school disco, what a shame that's happened.

Bring back the quality bar DJs. (could also be the education that some of the OGC goers need to get an appreciation for quality music too)

I was in Dusk last weekend and they were playing some excellent music in there. This does mean venturing through Beirut (aka Justice Mill Lane on a Saturday night)

I was in Dusk last weekend and they were playing some excellent music in there. This does mean venturing through Beirut (aka Justice Mill Lane on a Saturday night)

If the music is good then great. Lets get the list going. Funny how you get stuck in your regular places. Was at the bar where esko used to be and it was some sort of rock night... terrible venue for this in my opinion. But it was busy so good for Eric.

Yeah but its not a gig, its getting the vibe of the bar going. It's harder to set up a successful night somewhere. I'm talking more about adding vibe to a bar that is already busy perhaps or a bar that is less busy but could be busier if the music were shit hot. Beluga could have been that place but they opted for the dad disco instead.

That was the great thing about the old Estaminet, every night they had live DJs playing good and interesting dance music, in a cool, comfortable environment, and then they did that horrible shiny re-fit and rebranded as Bruin, and did away with the DJ in favour of a jukebox. Thus eliminating the only thing that really made them stand out from all the other boring pubs, and everybody stopped going. Literally a matter of months later it went down the pan. I haven't been in since it re-opened as Sin, I can only imagine it's as sterile and shit as Bruin was. Last I heard they had re-instated the DJs but it was just a bloke with an iPod plugged into some speakers. :laughing:

Yeah but its not a gig, its getting the vibe of the bar going. It's harder to set up a successful night somewhere. I'm talking more about adding vibe to a bar that is already busy perhaps or a bar that is less busy but could be busier if the music were shit hot. Beluga could have been that place but they opted for the dad disco instead.

I did get offered beluga when it first re-opened but turned it down, not sure that end of town would appreciate that type of music

I did get offered beluga when it first re-opened but turned it down, not sure that end of town would appreciate that type of music

Ah ha, it's all your fault ha ha! I've been in there several times recently and wished that the music was good, or what I consider good, which is probably they kind of stuff you play. Anyway, pick a bar you like and go for it I'd say. What bar would you go for?

Guest Giles Walker

The resident djs in Dusk are Chris Curtis and Martin Jay.

Dave Clarke had Chris Curtis as a 'Dj to watch out for' when he was voted one of the top djs in the world in Dj Mag a few years back.

Martin Jay is, in my opinion, the best bar dj by a mile that Aberdeen has to offer. His music taste is a spot on mix of nerdy, trainspotter mixed with an appreciation for more accessible music.

Both of these guys have a background in house djing.

Anyone coming to see Dj Sneak in Snafu then?

Dave Clarke had Chris Curtis as a 'Dj to watch out for' when he was voted one of the top djs in the world in Dj Mag a few years back.

Martin Jay is, in my opinion, the best bar dj by a mile that Aberdeen has to offer. His music taste is a spot on mix of nerdy, trainspotter mixed with an appreciation for more accessible music.

Chris is a great DJ, I didn't realise that he was still playing in aberdeen!

No Sneak for me, no holidays to take :(

Not too sure what bar I would go for, there's not that much options, somewhere non-pretentious for sure!

i always thought chris curtis was a knob and boring to watch/listen too, there were better dj's than him but he always got the Dave Clarke supports.

Guest Tam o' Shantie
That was the great thing about the old Estaminet, every night they had live DJs playing good and interesting dance music, in a cool, comfortable environment, and then they did that horrible shiny re-fit and rebranded as Bruin, and did away with the DJ in favour of a jukebox. Thus eliminating the only thing that really made them stand out from all the other boring pubs, and everybody stopped going. Literally a matter of months later it went down the pan. I haven't been in since it re-opened as Sin, I can only imagine it's as sterile and shit as Bruin was. Last I heard they had re-instated the DJs but it was just a bloke with an iPod plugged into some speakers. :laughing:

I went into Sin twice. First time on Christmas eve 2007 for a bite to eat at lunch time. Went in asked for Diet Coke, got asked "do you want vodka in it?" wtf? No thanks. Looked at the awful menu finished my drink and left.

2nd time, hammered on a weeknight and starving at around 11pm. Needed to eat food but wanted to sit down with a drink. Thankfully their kitchen was open till 1am and I got Nachos. They weren't bad. The DJ who was playing that night was playing from a laptop, and was 'fade in/fade out' style DJing with awful dance music. There is no excuse for not beat matching 'unce unce' music.

Guest treader.

The one and only time I was in Sin the DJ was using iTunes and just running a playlist he'd made.

He was also sitting looking bored as fuck, and texting someone on his phone. Not really much of a "DJ"

i always thought chris curtis was a knob and boring to watch/listen too, there were better dj's than him but he always got the Dave Clarke supports.

He's a nice guy, from personal opinion of course and he used to be a brilliant DJ in the Peli, but unsure of the style now if he's playing dusk?

He's a nice guy, from personal opinion of course and he used to be a brilliant DJ in the Peli, but unsure of the style now if he's playing dusk?

see it was subway i used to go all the time, seen him there heaps and was just never convinced, but i had a few friends who had problems with him for various reasons (hence the knob bit) so i guess my opinion was tainted a bit.

Dj Egg who used to mix in drum was pretty good as well if i remember right, hard to seperate one night of hard music/drugs from the rest lol.

I miss the Subway tho, it was such a dump but brilliant for dance nights, the tunnels doesnt have the same grimey feel to it.

The one and only time I was in Sin the DJ was using iTunes and just running a playlist he'd made.

He was also sitting looking bored as fuck, and texting someone on his phone. Not really much of a "DJ"

Sometimes using a lap-top to DJ is a necessity if the venue you work in has the builders in, and they subsequently destroy all your CDs...o_O

I never use playlists though, just DJ between two programmes...