aberdeen-music

Edinburgh

Djamba

Guest Giles Walker

I heard that they give you a bump of coke when you enter any club in the city and the dj has to mix Erotic City into White Horse at least once a night, no matter what the venue.

Dopeness

Guest idol_wild

I think it depends on what your personal musical preferences are.

Personally, I think some of the bands in Edinburgh are absolutely fucking brilliant. There is an amazing alt-folk scene going on down there.

Meursault

Eagleowl

Withered Hand

The Byrons

Broken Records

The Kays Lavelle

No Pasaran

Rob St. John

The Foundling Wheel

Come in Tokyo

And many more, I'm sure.

Fair point on the alt-folk front. Although i'm not really into it, i can appreciate good music when i hear it. As far as the metal/punk/powerpop/pop punk/hardcore/general guitar driven rock stuff goes, Glasgow seems to be the place to be. I could name a couple of bands from Edinbutgh that i, personally, am genuinely into (rather than "are good"), but as you said, thats largely personal preference.

x

I'm usually first in the queue to bash the Edinburgh "scene" (full of funk wank student bands etc), but there are some really good things happening just now, and anyone visiting would do well to pay a visit to the new Sneaky Pete's on the Cowgate and to check out the work Broken Friend Records are doing.