aberdeen-music

Glasgow

Sam 45

I thought i'd give you guys the heads up on what is taking my fancy down here in Glasgow at the moment.

Barn Owl - Without a doubt my favourite band that i have discovered since moving down here. They used to be called 'On This Day We Met Gambas Pil Pil' and graced the Tunnels once or twice with Hookers Green No1 i believe. That was back in their post rock days. Now they possess a dullard kind of indie sound with hints of their old post rock influences. Reminds me a little of the Beta Band for some reason, i don't know why because it sounds nothing like them.

Brother Louis Collective - Without a doubt the best live band i have seen down here. Their frontman is such a captivating figure which is great to watch. Last time i saw them they finished the gig with 12 different band memebers. They play a folk/pop kind of sound but definately with their own stamp on it. Not like all these bands that have come out sounding like Frightened Rabbit. They just released 'These Barren Years' as a single which is definately worth purchasing.

My Cousin I Bid You Farewell - I've not seen these guys live yet since they started playing as a full band. Adding personel from Miss Atlanta and Union of Knives has given them a great sound. It's kind of like Arcade Fire without every song having to be turned into an anthem. I'm very excited at the prospect of seeing them live. Love the recordings right now.

Union of Knives - One of my favourite bands. They played their first UK show for well over a year a few weeks ago and it was great. They've got five new songs up on their player that they recorded with Atticus Ross from Nine Inch Nails. These songs are going to be on their new album 'The Anti-Fire'. Whether this sees the light of day or not i'm not sure as i believe there are a lot of label issues going on at the moment. I know they are hoping to get up to Aberdeen in the near future for a show regardless.

Errors - Need no introduction at the moment. Having already toured most of Europe this year with Mogwai and have been announced to play ATP vs The Fans. Great, great, great, great tunes. Playing the Tunnels on April 25th, i recommend you go along.

I love the music scene down here.

• Upvote 1

There are a silly amount of good bands down there. Barnowl are great, as are Errors. I've also enjoyed The Ballad of Mable Wong, Grozny, Hyena, plaaydoh, Triple School... I wish there were more bands like that up here.

I really like Ballad of Mable, hopefully gonna have them playing a show for me in the near future. Hyena are no more by the way.

Guest idol_wild

There Will Be Fireworks are pretty good. As are Galchen, Endor and How to Swim.

Wait a minute! You can see both How to Swim AND Endor this Friday night at The Tunnels! Yas min. :up:

My Cousin I Bid You Farewell - I've not seen these guys live yet since they started playing as a full band. Adding personel from Miss Atlanta and Union of Knives has given them a great sound. It's kind of like Arcade Fire without every song having to be turned into an anthem. I'm very excited at the prospect of seeing them live. Love the recordings right now.

Just booked these lot to play Drummonds. Putting together a rather last minute show for next wednesday (25th March). support being supported just now!!

They are sooooo good :)

I really like Ballad of Mable, hopefully gonna have them playing a show for me in the near future. Hyena are no more by the way.

I was disappointed at missing Ballad of Mable Wong at Gray's a few months ago.

Rory (of BOMW) and I did a CD together a few years ago.

(and did a somewhat under-rehearsed show at Peacock's as a duo)

We had Gambas Pil Pil on a Drummonds bill about 3 or 4 years ago and was incredibly impressed. They had one song in particular which was incredible..

*searches their myspace and they still have it! Result! Check out 'When No-one is around': One of the best songs i'd ever heard by an unsigned act, and still up there with the best :)

I'm with you on Brother Louis Collective. Managed to catch them a couple of times and they are pretty captivating! Agreeing with the mention of Endor as well.

Also... We Hung Your Leader (who just supported The Xcerts), We Are Trapped In Kansas (who people are already aware of) and Jocasta Sleeps (who have always been drunk on the 3 or 4 occasions that I've seen them play).

My list isn't very exciting. Most people will probably already have heard the names at least.

Just booked these lot to play Drummonds. Putting together a rather last minute show for next wednesday (25th March). support being supported just now!!

They are sooooo good :)

I wondered who was doing that show. I can't wait to see them live. Who are you getting to support?

Yes i meant dullard indie in a positive way. If you listen to them you might understand what i mean. It probably is the complete wrong way to describe them.

I wondered who was doing that show. I can't wait to see them live. Who are you getting to support?

good question to be honest. its all a bit last minute. there manager (chris connick of de rosa fame) is in my college class and asked me as a favour to get them as a show on this date. thing is id had plans to get em up anyway as i love the tunes and am desperate to see em live

anyway...support??? yeah good question. anyone who fancies it to be honest. need two locals for it and its a week away....HELP :)

well thats one local support

now reads

My Cousin I Bid You Fairwell (My Cousin I Bid You Farewell on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads)

Debutant (Debutant on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads)

+ 1 Local

Wednesday 25th March

Drummonds, Doors 7.30

one more required :)

it appears begging on aberdeen-music can lead to you getting cracking supports for shows you put on :)

well thats one local support

now reads

My Cousin I Bid You Fairwell (My Cousin I Bid You Farewell on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads)

Debutant (Debutant on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads)

+ 1 Local

Wednesday 25th March

Drummonds, Doors 7.30

one more required :)

it appears begging on aberdeen-music can lead to you getting cracking supports for shows you put on :)

I'll play my Glockenspiel for 30 mins if you want.

its juno, its juno

I remember on one of the PVH tours we/they were down in Liverpool in 2006 playing with SSS (who got really big after that) and the guy played life without buildings in the nightclub after the gig, a real shock but a good one :)

Great album. one of those bands that everybody seems to love now but never gave a monkey about at the time (me included, I think I got into them not long after the split), they should reform!

Guest idol_wild

Great album. one of those bands that everybody seems to love now but never gave a monkey about at the time (me included, I think I got into them not long after the split), they should reform!

Admittedly, I was also a latecomer. In fact, I had to really persevere with the album and give it numerous listens before I started to appreciate it fully. Then, on about the sixth or seventh listen, I had an epiphany with the album. Incidentally, Philip is my favourite song.

A reform and a tour (including Aberdeen) would be pretty fucking spectacular.

glasgow has always had great bands.

my favourite era of bands would have to be around the time of ganger, the fannies, el hombre trajaedo, life without buildings, eska, empire builder et al

they some of my very fav bands

That reminds me I need to get that Simplestorm recordings from you next time we meet :love: