aberdeen-music

INTO THE MUSIC - free magazine with the skinny on Scottish bands...

Steven Milne

hey there,

We (The Little Kicks) were recently featured in the Skinny and interviewed as a feature on new Scottish talent to watch out for in 2009. The article was given away in the latest edition as a supplement entitled "Into the Music". Grab it if you can, it only came out in the Edinburgh and Glasgow versions of the paper - not Aberdeen unfortunately.

They asked some decent questions and they also had a big shiny photo in it too, so if you like us youll see our wee faces and if you dont you get a free dartboard.

Either way you cant lose I guess.

Ill maybe post a transcript up here shortly and try and work out how to do a photo of it if i can.

But anyone interested in new Scottish bands should pick it up - apart from us it had features on a heap of new up and comers (We Were promised Jetpacks, Twin Atlantic, We See Lights etc), interviews with industry people and press and a heap of other content.

Check it out if your in either city and need a wee read.

xxx

yeah, bit odd but then again its good that its out there in those cities at least where a lot less people have heard of us, whereas here we do not bad for getting the name around.

although i think people probably think weve died a death of late what with us doing very little gigs but weve actually just recorded 13 songs! 4 of which are brand new.

only 17 to go and well have our own "The Wall" ready.

Guest idol_wild
That's poo that it was only out in the south. I wonder why..

Probably because it's one of the worst publications ever.

I'm not bitter because they never feature my gig listings at all. ;)

But yeah, The Skinny is shit, but well done to the Wee Kicks. Looking forward to seeing you guys get back into the game of playing live. Wee Kicks concerts are always fun!

Probably because it's one of the worst publications ever.

I'm not bitter because they never feature my gig listings at all. ;)

But yeah, The Skinny is shit, but well done to the Wee Kicks. Looking forward to seeing you guys get back into the game of playing live. Wee Kicks concerts are always fun!

Bit harsh wouldn't you say?

Guest idol_wild
Bit harsh wouldn't you say?

I'm being semi-flippant, dude.

But yeah, The Skinny seem reluctant to get properly involved with what's going on in Aberdeen, which is a pity.

But yeah, The Skinny seem reluctant to get properly involved with what's going on in Aberdeen, which is a pity.

Hmmm, surprises me as they always seem very keen on catering more where there is a more going on... Maybe some communication breakdown or summit.

Can enquire next time I meet one of them:up:

Partly true, their commitment to Aberdeen isn't as strong as they suggested it would be when it launched up here.

Unfortunately, they're looking to expand into NE England and further south which will probably dilute it even further.

Not bitterness on my part (as some would see us as being in competition with them I suppose) but just what I've heard (from a good source).

For the record I think it's a very good mag

Guest idol_wild

Well, I am in direct contact with someone who is involved with The Skinny's coverage of Aberdeen and it is general concensus within their walls that they want to concentrate massively on Glasgow and Edinburgh and don't really feel Aberdeen or Dundee have any particular relevance to the Scottish music scene. So, y'know, that is essentially the horse's mouth.

Plus, having been put in touch with the main (and only?) Aberdeen correspondent a number of months ago, I emailed him with the view of being an addition to the Aberdeen "team" (something they were alledgedly looking to expand) and I never even got a response.

If you live in Glasgow or Edinburgh, I'm sure The Skinny is immense for information. But given the influence the magazine has, though, I personally feel (and I'm guessing you'll all disagree with me) that it perhaps has a bit of a duty to embrace, and be involved in, all corners of Scotland and what the whole country has to offer musically and culturally. In fact, it's a trifle unfair to relegate Aberdeen to "a corner". It has a potential catchment area of 250,000 people!

But anyway. Enough of that. I doubt anyone will agree with me and I still pick the magazine up every month and read it.

Back to the point of the thread: well done to The Little Kicks for getting a decent mention. They work fucking hard and genuinely deserve what attention they get. Looking forward to having you rock my little pop socks off at a gig sooooooon. :up:

Well, I am in direct contact with someone who is involved with The Skinny's coverage of Aberdeen and it is general concensus within their walls that they want to concentrate massively on Glasgow and Edinburgh and don't really feel Aberdeen or Dundee have any particular relevance to the Scottish music scene. So, y'know, that is essentially the horse's mouth.

Plus, having been put in touch with the main (and only?) Aberdeen correspondent a number of months ago, I emailed him with the view of being an addition to the Aberdeen "team" (something they were alledgedly looking to expand) and I never even got a response.

If you live in Glasgow or Edinburgh, I'm sure The Skinny is immense for information. But given the influence the magazine has, though, I personally feel (and I'm guessing you'll all disagree with me) that it perhaps has a bit of a duty to embrace, and be involved in, all corners of Scotland and what the whole country has to offer musically and culturally. In fact, it's a trifle unfair to relegate Aberdeen to "a corner". It has a potential catchment area of 250,000 people!

But anyway. Enough of that. I doubt anyone will agree with me and I still pick the magazine up every month and read it.

Back to the point of the thread: well done to The Little Kicks for getting a decent mention. They work fucking hard and genuinely deserve what attention they get. Looking forward to having you rock my little pop socks off at a gig sooooooon. :up:

Then let the revolution begin...

I like the Skinny but don't pick it up thinking I'm going to read about Aberdeen, unfortunately. Maybe we need more exciting and interesting things happening up hereo_O

I like the Skinny but don't pick it up thinking I'm going to read about Aberdeen, unfortunately. Maybe we need more exciting and interesting things happening up hereo_O

Exactly,

There's so much going on in Glasgow/Edinburgh that Aberdeen/Dundee etc were always going to be wedged in there as a bit of an afterthought.

As for doing stuff up here, we're going to give it a go, look for The Kiosque to become a bit more interactive and inclusive soon.

Part one was getting the thing up there and running pretty well, I think we've almost achieved that now and we're nearly ready to try and move it forward a bit.

Christ, I sound like some middle manager or something

But you get my gist, and any opportunities for folk to get involved will be posted on here

:up:

Guest idol_wild

I'm unsure if you're taking the piss out of me here. I suspect you are.

There is plenty of interesting things happening in Aberdeen between club nights (Do It!, Teenage Lust, Everything Else Sucks, Adventures Close To Home, Exposure, Slanted & Enchanted, Adventures In Stero, Lost & Found, Dirty Hearts Club, Black Tooth Rock Lounge, and the multitude of events that go on at Origin and Snafu); a number of local promoters putting on worthwhile and varied stuff; Project Slogan opening new galleries and workshops; independent film nights at the Belmont Cinema. I also feel there is a good amount of genuinely good musicians/bands in Aberdeen worth taking the time, effort, and money to go and see play live. There's also a new comedy night at Snafu and plenty touring comedians include Aberdeen as part of their tour schedule.

Aberdeen has so many doubters, bemoaning the lack of interesting and exciting things happening up here. But, by my reckoning, there's plenty going on which captures a broad spectrum of styles and genres. It'd be quite nice if this was recognised and publicised by popular publications like The Skinny.

I've probably taken your post far too seriously.

[/tangent]

Guest idol_wild
Maybe I got it wrong too then!

I thought Jim was talking about a lack of things happening on the media front in Aberdeen.

There's plenty stuff going on creatively though, that's for sure.

I should know, I have to type the bastarding stuff out!

In fact, everyone stop doing stuff, give my fingers a rest.

:laughing:

Oh shit, maybe Jim did mean that. In that case, I come across as an even bigger twat than I normally do. Though what I said still stands. It just needn't be applied to the context of what Jim said, ha.

And you're doing a fine job with The Kiosque. Been noticing a few posters scattered about advertising it. Ever considered a hard copy version of it to distribute, much like The Skinny and other publications of it's ilk?

Oh shit, maybe Jim did mean that. In that case, I come across as an even bigger twat than I normally do. Though what I said still stands. It just needn't be applied to the context of what Jim said, ha.

And you're doing a fine job with The Kiosque. Been noticing a few posters scattered about advertising it. Ever considered a hard copy version of it to distribute, much like The Skinny and other publications of it's ilk?

Cheers

A hard copy is a possibility in the future sure, still think it would be a companion to the site though as the "USP" of it if you like are the up-to-date listings.

You never know though, we'll probably be in touch with peeps like your good self fairly soon for some input on the site anyway.

Guest idol_wild
Cheers

A hard copy is a possibility in the future sure, still think it would be a companion to the site though as the "USP" of it if you like are the up-to-date listings.

You never know though, we'll probably be in touch with peeps like your good self fairly soon for some input on the site anyway.

If I can help and get involved, then I would be delighted to.

Erm... hahahaha

I did mean it and wasn't in anyway taking the piss. I'm not suggesting there are no interesting things going. Aberdeen is a fine wee city with some great folk doing great things. Just not enough is all I mean. We need more folk to stop moaning about how everything happens south and just get the fuck on with doing something they want to do.

Good things do get noticed by the outside world! There is a great deal of respect and good will directed at Aberdeen and if there was a bigger spread of belief that things can be done up here then there needn't be such an emphasis on consumerism being the saviour of the city (see todays PnJ) The last thing we need is more shit shops! Cultural activities and projects don't get handed o us we have to get off our arses making folk take notice!

Fuck me, I didn't mean to jump on a soap box there and this isn't aimed at anyone. Just a rant from someone that has heard far too many well intended creative people (all genres) speaking a great speak but not getting on with it!

Right, I'm off for a chamomile!

• 3 weeks later...

more press...

back to the thread, we got a couple more bits of bobs of press recently for a wee mini tour we did last week or so...

THE SKINNY - 4/5

Limbo @ The Voodoo Rooms, 26 Mar :: The Skinny

ED-Rock - a fairly average review i guess

The Edinburgh Rock Network: The Little Kicks and Come On Gang @ Limbo - Voodoo Rooms Edinburgh 26 Mar 2009

LIMBO Promoters view - (halfway down)

Limbo 2nd Apr | St Deluxe | French Wives | Team Turnip | Limbo at The Voodoo Rooms, Edinburgh

looks like well be doing a download single end of may / album in june (aiming for the 7th).

will post more when we have more to say - still have a lot of recording to go!