aberdeen-music

1st annual fighting game championship!!!

>>RosS<<

Greetings,

My name is Ross, I am a long standing fighting game player, and a huge fan of competitive gaming in general.

This year, with the help of some good friends and some generous companies, we will be hosting Aberdeen's first competitive fighting game/video game tournament sometime in late 2009!

This post represents some early research into what you would be willing to pay, play and contribute to this event.

The basics, this will be a non profit event, with all profits going toward MacMillan Cancer Relief, we would like to attract as many players as possible, whilst retaining the most serious competitive atmosphere.

The confirmed games:

Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo HD Remix : The result of 14 years balancing, the most balanced competitive 1v1 game out there.

Street Fighter 4: The most recent addition to the popular Capcom franchise, easy inputs and a throwback to the good old days make this game a no brainer.

What else do you want to play? Fifa? Pro Evo? Halo? Please reply!

What would you pay for entry to such an event, knowing all proceeds would go to charity?

Would 10 for ALL games be too much? Considering there would likely be excellent prizes for each game thanks to our sponsors.

As I earlier stated, this is an early research asking YOU what YOU would want from a local games tourney?

For a more immediate response, contact iwishiwasbornanorc at hotmail.co.uk OR C0rbul0 @ xboxlive. (add me if you want owned :D)

Any input or feedback would be most appreciated!

Let's put Scotland on the 1v1 fighting map, and have a go at cancer whilst we're at it!

There is a website confirming all these details, plus every game we plan to follow coming very soon, please keep an eye open!

Many thanks

• Upvote 1

Right, thanks for replying.

Some initial thoughts about you're replies.

Lots of people seem be keen on Team fortress or COD or some other fps. The main problem with these game is that they are best played in a team format, and unless people are happy playing 4v4, with 2 tv's and a quarter screen each im not sure how viable this would be. And im not sure if there are any console fps's well suited to deathmatch. The logistics make some games unsuitable for a tournament of this format.

Other game styles don't really fit into the tournament ethic either. For example, guitar hero isn't a great competative game becuase there is no interaction between players at all. A score attack is basically just people playing 2 single players games at the same time. As good as the game is, I'd like to restrict the tournament to games with some competitve merit. It is all for a good cause ofcourse, but that's no reason that it can't eventually grow and rival the likes of BoD or EVO.

As much as I would like this to be some kind of hardcore 1v1 fighter tournament, I'm aware there might not be enough numbers to not include something that lots of casual players might enjoy. Some football game might be good i guess, 1 console and a fixed amount of time make for tournament friendly games.

I also worry about the numbers that we could be able to muster for a brand new ultra hyped title like Street Fighter 4, so theres little point even contemplating titles like MvC2 or Guilty Gear, regardless of how great these games are.

More to come, in the meantime thanks for you're feedback and please keep it coming!

Right, thanks for replying.

Some initial thoughts about you're replies.

Lots of people seem be keen on Team fortress or COD or some other fps. The main problem with these game is that they are best played in a team format, and unless people are happy playing 4v4, with 2 tv's and a quarter screen each im not sure how viable this would be. And im not sure if there are any console fps's well suited to deathmatch. The logistics make some games unsuitable for a tournament of this format.

im sure you could drum up a loan of a few consoles and tvs for the day, i would easily take an xbox along for this if it helped get it off the ground.

The real problem is finding a venue with enough space to accomodate however many set ups would be required, and getting hold of enough tvs and what not.

If people were happy to play 4v4 on a single screen then that would be easy, but I doubt that would be the case.

you could set up 8 consoles and 8 tvs in a captain toms practise room if needed, as i say ask around man, im sure im not the only one who would be up for helping out equpiment wise.

you could set up 8 consoles and 8 tvs in a captain toms practise room if needed, as i say ask around man, im sure im not the only one who would be up for helping out equpiment wise.
holy shit. 2 rooms in captain toms. One team per room. That'd be fucking awesome. Team Fortress especially.

Aha, Captain toms had never occured to me as a potential venue. I'd just ben thinking along the lines of pubs and whatnot. What a stunning idea!

It totally removes the whole 'is my tv going to get nailed by a drunken idiot' problem, and 100 other headaches. Defo something im going to look into, good call mate.

im a useless humorsless cunt most of the time but i do have a few gems up my sleeve :up:

I can imagine the banter doing team games in two different rooms, im sure a LAN is easy to set up for these comptuer literate people we have on here and like i said a few kind souls willing to loan their boxes and TVs and i think this could be a fucking awesome day/night.

As good a game as it might be, CS is even less viable to play than a console FPS due the nightmare of setting it up. Most RTS games don't fit the bill, as they can go on for literally hours. And half the games you mention have such a small playerbase that it really wouldn't work in a tournament setting.

However, as with most other fighting game tournaments, having a seperate "casual" are is something im really keen to run aswell. Where people who arent really interested in the more cutthroat competative side of gaming can come, contribute to the cause and play for fun with a bunch of other likeminded folks. Where people would be free to take whichever games they like, This would be ideal for stuff like guitar hero. You can ofcourse fire back and forth if you get put out of the curremt tournament or aren't interested in playing or whataver.

I feel Captain Toms rooms may be small to accomodate such an event on second thoughts. I'm going to look into larger rooms we might be able to use, perhaps the hall belonging to the church at gallowgate or suchlike. One larger room is great for letting people spectate in games, and building a bit of atmosphere. Hopefully people will care enough about whats going on in the tournament games to get a bit of drama going.

It's likely that all tournament games will be run on 360, just to reduce the hassle of setting things up.

Again, I really appreciate people replying with their thoughts, please do keep throwing your ideas at me.

Cheers,

I'm a big Tekken fan when it comes to fighting games and am reasonably shit at street fighter. I think CoD4, mario kart, Tekken 5 and Fifa 09 would be good shouts, mind you it would require 3 consoles!! As for Fifa 09, I was long standing pro ev man until the latest additions of each game and I think the Fifa series has eclipsed Pro Ev in every aspect now. Most of my friends were big Pro Ev fans also and I've managed to convert their stubborn minds. I reckon more people play the Fifa series now as well. Sounds fun though! :up: