aberdeen-music

gig photographers

At tonights Howling Bells/Joy Formidable gig there was three photographers covering the Joy Formidable. One of them, with the dyed red hair isn't too bad, I've seen him at lots of gigs and he generally keeps fairly low, but the other two....

....I didn't pay my ticket price to look at the back of some annoying bloke. They didn't even attempt to keep low.

And when Ritzy was on the floor playing the feedback by hand on her peddles, all I could see was these blokes and not Ritzy.

Be a bit more considerate to the crowd annoying photographer blokies!

pete

inthehills

thanks, that was me.

edit: i was mainly down all of the time, but tbh, the lighting was off, I had to stand up to get that one shot.

and anyway, it was TJF that put me on the list to take their pics, so I was trying the best angles to get good shots for them

sorry if you find that annoying, but I was hardly in the way

take a chill pill

I think he's got a point. There's a few times I've become annoyed at photographers getting in the way.

A couple of times I've been pretty much at the front and they come and stand right in front of you. Literally they just stand directly in front of you, I don't care if you're trying to get "that shot", get out of my fucking way. I spent money to get in here and see this band I don't need someone ruining my view.

photographers should be considerate of those around them as we don't have a right to be at the front of the audience. i always try and scoot around the floor for shots or stay near the sides. you get better angles and less microphones in front of faces that way anyhoo.

photographers should be considerate of those around them as we don't have a right to be at the front of the audience. i always try and scoot around the floor for shots or stay near the sides. you get better angles and less microphones in front of faces that way anyhoo.

Yep, that's the way it should be done.

yeah, and as I said i stood up once, purely because there was a amp in the way of the shot... well, that and to move around to the back of the stage

So, sorry if I offended you / got in your way, wasnt deliberate

i think he said in his first post that you weren't all that bad(if you're the one with the red hair) so you don't need to keep apologising.

At tonights Howling Bells/Joy Formidable gig there was three photographers covering the Joy Formidable. One of them, with the dyed red hair isn't too bad, I've seen him at lots of gigs and he generally keeps fairly low, but the other two....

....I didn't pay my ticket price to look at the back of some annoying bloke. They didn't even attempt to keep low.

And when Ritzy was on the floor playing the feedback by hand on her peddles, all I could see was these blokes and not Ritzy.

Be a bit more considerate to the crowd annoying photographer blokies!

pete

inthehills

Hey sorry, Pete! I was one of the snappers at the gig and generally try to be discrete and blend in. We were probably more visible as the band said we could shoot the duration of their set due to poor lighting. Normally its a strict first three songs or less and leave the pit.

photographers dont usually piss me off cus most of them usually get a few good snaps then fuck off but i remember when i went to see robots in disguise at moshulu a couple of years ago and thier was one photographer who was at the front the whole night being the biggest pain in the arse just jumping up and down every two seconds. the band started chucking stuff at him while they were playing and stole his hat so he was ovibously pissing them off too

Just to vent some mild annoyance at gig photographers....when I was at the Laura Marling/Malcolm Middleton gig, some bloke used my friend's head as a make-shift tripod as he was masically balancing the lens on her head, forcing her to crouch while he stood there and took a few photos. I thought that was pretty rude.

On the other hand, one guy who was taking photos at a Sleater-Kinney gig in Glasgow helped me out when some queue-jumping dickheads wanted to 'make a thing' of it and very promptly told them where to go. He was also very considerate during the gig.

So, my experience of gig photographers...even split.

Just to vent some mild annoyance at gig photographers....when I was at the Laura Marling/Malcolm Middleton gig, some bloke used my friend's head as a make-shift tripod as he was masically balancing the lens on her head, forcing her to crouch while he stood there and took a few photos. I thought that was pretty rude.

that is pretty rude

On the other hand, one guy who was taking photos at a Sleater-Kinney gig in Glasgow helped me out when some queue-jumping dickheads wanted to 'make a thing' of it and very promptly told them where to go. He was also very considerate during the gig.

So, my experience of gig photographers...even split.

Why didn;t your friend tell the photographer to get to fuck? Seems the reasonable thing to do.

I've been in the situation where a photographer has pissed me off no end at a gig by standing up all the time ect... so on teh rare ocasion i am taking photos at a gig, i try to stay to teh sides and stay low, it is better for the crowd and generally gives you better angles (no mic's in faces ect)

The moshulu barriers at least used to be really easy to bend down and lean on and was never a problem unless you caught your leg on the one spikey bit, that hurt!

My complaint is really of those who insist in taking photographs of terrible bands playing to about three people. It's just very easy to tell lies about gigs through a lens, sanctifying 'bad' musical moments as something to behold / worthwhile because thats the way it may appear if I stand really close and take a wacky action shot of the singer. For everyone has a shot of himself looking rather dashing on his myspace.

My complaint is really of those who insist in taking photographs of terrible bands playing to about three people. It's just very easy to tell lies about gigs through a lens, sanctifying 'bad' musical moments as something to behold / worthwhile because thats the way it may appear if I stand really close and take a wacky action shot of the singer. For everyone has a shot of himself looking rather dashing on his myspace.

what does the number of people in the crowd have to do with photos of bands? so you're saying only bands you like or approve should ever be photographed and they must reach a set crowd number before permission is granted.

shite.