aberdeen-music

Moshulu Gig Listings.....

hey guys

gigs ahead at moshulu....

Some good stuff waiting to confirm too that will hopefully be sorted soon!

MARCH

13th - HOWLING BELLS - 14 PLUS - 7.30PM - 8

15TH - LOGAN - 14 PLUS - 5 - 7.30PM

22ND - AZRIEL - 14 PLUS - 5 - 7.30PM

25TH - THE DYKEENIES - 14 PLUS - 7.30PM - 9.50

25TH BACK ROOM - DYKEENIES AFTERPARTY IN BACK ROOM

28TH - ABDC - 14 PLUS - 7.30PM - 6.00

APRIL

4TH - SURROGATE PINK FLOYD - 7.30PM - 14 PLUS - 10

4TH MYSTERY JETS DJ SET - TBC

11TH - ADVENTURES IN STEREO - LET IT BLEED presents SHIT DISCO (DJ SET) - 18 PLUS - 10.30PM TO 3AM - TBC

17TH - 1990S - 14 PLUS - 7.30PM - 8.00

18TH - CLUBNIGHT SHOW - MARINA AND THE DIAMONDS - 3.00 - 18 PLUS - 10.30PM TILL 3AM

APRIL 25TH - guests tbc / ERRORS AFTERPARTY

MAY

2ND - CLUBNIGHT SHOW - A SILENT FILM / INDIAN RED LOPEZ - 3.00 - 18 PLUS - 10.30PM TILL 3AM

3RD - OBEDIENCE SCHOOL - 18 PLUS - 9.00 - FETISH NIGHT

30TH - CLUBNIGHT SHOW - FAN DEATH - TBC - 18 PLUS -

JUNE

5TH - BROKENCYDE plus support - 14 PLUS - 7.30PM - 10

26TH THE DEBUTS 14 PLUS 7.30PM - 5.00

FREE ENTRY TO CLUBNIGHTS WITH FLYERS - DISTRIBUTED LOCALLY EVERYWHERE / IN BASSMENT / SHOPS /OUTLETS

BASSMENT KITCHEN NOW RE-OPENED!

CHEAP FOOD DEALS AND NEW LISTINGS TBC NEXT WEEK.

TICKETS:

Moshulu

Welcome to TicketWeb!

ONE UP RECORDS, BELMONT STREET

HMV UNION STREET

See Mobile

Tickets for concerts, theatre, football, family days out. Official Ticketmaster Site

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I think I'm missing the point a bit here. I thought that Tunnels were stipulating something like a 12 finish for Slanted and Enchanted nights to allow their own club or whatever to run from 12-3.

If Moshulu run an Errors afterparty from 12-3, why does that screw over Slanted & Enchanted?

Like I say, I'm maybe missing the point - but if Tunnels had agreed to run the S&E night as Phil wanted it, and let Errors play at like 2 in the morning, then there would be no scope for an afterparty anywhere.

The obvious thing is that everyone sticks around at The Tunnels til 3am but if Moshulu has the afterparty then obviously everyone will leave to go there and leave The Tunnels deserted, which, as phil says, probably stops any further club nights as there won't be the numbers to support it.

Guest idol_wild
I think I'm missing the point a bit here. I thought that Tunnels were stipulating something like a 12 finish for Slanted and Enchanted nights to allow their own club or whatever to run from 12-3.

If Moshulu run an Errors afterparty from 12-3, why does that screw over Slanted & Enchanted?

Like I say, I'm maybe missing the point - but if Tunnels had agreed to run the S&E night as Phil wanted it, and let Errors play at like 2 in the morning, then there would be no scope for an afterparty anywhere.

Well, it's me DJing until 3am and I was hoping people would stick around at The Tunnels after Errors. I was also considering asking Errors to DJ for a bit after their set. Just to help keep folk there.

Plus, I doubt very much Errors will be offstage until quite late - a compromise was reached with The Tunnels over slight flexibility with this particular gig.

Nevermind.

The obvious thing is that everyone sticks around at The Tunnels til 3am but if Moshulu has the afterparty then obviously everyone will leave to go there and leave The Tunnels deserted, which, as phil says, probably stops any further club nights as there won't be the numbers to support it.

Aye, but if S&E finishes at 12, and it's something else happening at Tunnels from then onwards, then it's not Moshulu screwing over S&E, but Tunnels lack of foresight in forcing Phil to run his clubnight till 12 and not 3. If S&E could run till 3, Errors would have played late like they normally do, and Tunnels would have been busy till 3am, and Moshulu wouldn't have the easy pickings of running an Errors aftershow party, and have to do something else that night.

It is all of course immaterial cos you will all want to come and see The Underkills @ Cellar 35... ;)

Well, it's me DJing until 3am and I was hoping people would stick around at The Tunnels after Errors. I was also considering asking Errors to DJ for a bit after their set. Just to help keep folk there.

Plus, I doubt very much Errors will be offstage until quite late - a compromise was reached with The Tunnels over slight flexibility with this particular gig.

Nevermind.

Ah - ok, that explains things.

Bit of a fucker then really. :down:

Aye, but if S&E finishes at 12, and it's something else happening at Tunnels from then onwards, then it's not Moshulu screwing over S&E, but Tunnels lack of foresight in forcing Phil to run his clubnight till 12 and not 3. If S&E could run till 3, Errors would have played late like they normally do, and Tunnels would have been busy till 3am, and Moshulu wouldn't have the easy pickings of running an Errors aftershow party, and have to do something else that night.

It is all of course immaterial cos you will all want to come and see The Underkills @ Cellar 35... ;)

Moshulu's promoters could have helped by not blatantly poaching the Tunnels audience. Bit mercenary in my opinion but yes it does come down to The Tunnels methods as well.

Guest idol_wild
Is it just me or is this a typically Aberdeen thing to happen? The big boys come in and ruin things for the smaller players.

Sort of. I thought establishing a themed club night to fill the void left by the likes of the Gun Club and Sister Resist would be welcomed by a lot of people in Aberdeen - including venues. But apparently not.

The Tunnels are also launching their own club night this Friday in Tunnel 1, which sort of scuppers the Slanted & Enchanted thing a little bit.

But ach well. I'll just return to the standard gig format and forget the idea of a club night. Leave that to others I suppose. :up:

Guest idol_wild

On the face of it, you're right.

Moshulu are perfectly within their rights to book Errors to DJ at the aftershow. It just means I'll have to adjust plans for that evening and there will be very little point in concerning myself with DJs afterwards. So I guess you're right, that becomes The Tunnels' problem.

But yeah, it pretty much spells the end of Slanted & Enchanted developing into a proper club night.

Obstacles galore.

I'm responsible here.

(Well for the Errors djiing mix up, not the other club night etc starting in The Tunnels)

The night in question is one of mine at Moshulu and the story is;

I am mates with Steev from Errors and have booked them a few times in the past

(also Haunted House Party - Steevs now unfortunately defunct sideproject).

On discovering they're playing in the Tunnels, and speaking to Steev about it, he though it was a gig. Not part of a club night. So did I.

The Tunnels can be quite confusing regarding whats on till when, in what Tunnels etc.

So a completely innocent conversation of along the lines of...

"Cool, Ill try and fire down to the gig...I've got a club night on later that night too... you should fire down after you gig is finished for a pint? In fact...wanna come dj?"

The Errors boys dj at a night in Sleazys in Glasgow so this wasn't an out of the ordinary thing to ask. Also I know how skint bands are so the opportunity for them to make a little bit more I knew would be appreciated.

The whole conversation was completely innocent and nothing "mercenary" or "blatantly poaching" about it whatsoever. I find that offensive. Thought the gig would be done by 11/12. Its was a genuine, good willed offer to a friend...with NO intentions or desire in the slightest to fuck anyone over.

Aberdeen is a small place, you just do do that shit. I'm also I a HUGE fan of new nights starting up as it make for a better scene. A healthy scene is so important as it means people dont get bored and it helps keep your own nights interesting to go to...as opposed to going to the same nights week in, week out. And I want good live/clubnights to go to when I'm out too gawdamn it.

Errors "dj set" is not the headliner at my night. Milne listing it as Errors afterparty isnt the case. Im still confirming the "headliner" (haggling over - they want too much just now).

If the times have changed and S&E is now on till 3am then there's a good chance the Errors won't dj at Moshulu afterall. As our "headliner" will prob do 1am-3am.

Phil: Sorry for the mix up mate.

Guest idol_wild

On discovering they're playing in the Tunnels, and speaking to Steev about it, he though it was a gig. Not part of a club night. So did I.

The Tunnels can be quite confusing regarding whats on till when, in what Tunnels etc.

Well it will certainly just be a gig now! ;)

Phil: Sorry for the mix up mate.

No worries. Following a conversation I had during my lunchbreak (not with myself), I've come to the conclusion that an official Errors aftershow at Moshulu will probably do the gig a big favour and reduce some of my concerns regarding the night.

And your response and honesty is appreciated. :up:

Scott has pretty much cleared this up...

Just to say, me posting that wasnt meant to tread on anyones toes by the way either boyos...

i pretty much pasted my diary into a post and i had a note that me and you phil had toyed with/ discussed the idea of you DJing with me / Errors coming up after so i had it written down as Errors Afterparty tbc.

Even though it wasnt confirmed the offer was to give Phil an option for him/ punters to keep their night out going after Tunnels finishes and give the bands somewhere to go for free to party after the gig as Phil had said he was having a bit of bother with timings / clubnight hire etc. Id said that i could approach the Errors guys to DJ(pretty much the same thing scott said- in a kinda informal way from knowing them from gigs) and then i didnt follow up any of this because i realised Scott pretty much already had done so and has the night held @ Moshulu for a headliner tbc anyway.

So, hope that explains any confusion...

I mean yeah, obviously it means more people come to moshulu and it looks like piggybacking on someone elses show but..

- me and phil are pals and it was an offer to help for the reasons above. not steal his thunder.im pretty sure he knows this?maybe hes going to bitchslap me in public and i dont know it yet.

- at the time, the clubnight option for s + e was a complete no chance of happening.

- afterparties for other peoples gigs when youve approached the promoter / band of said show is perfectly normal practice and pretty standard.

Most importantly, personally - i have a limitless guestlist for Saturday nights at moshulu and it is most fun to DJ in there when its rammed (which as its big can be hard to fill) so if someone has a gig on elsewhere where itll be busy you offer these things.

Especially when they have a crowd who would be up for partying but cant because of an early show in a venue - itd be silly not to offer them a freebie to continue their night, its called thinking ahead and trying to get people through the doors.

Nothing mercenary about it in the slightest.

xxx

Earlier posts seemed to indicate that the aftershow party/DJ set/whatever was likely to kill off future S&E nights due to the audience disappearing after the gig. Which seemed to indicate it wasn't a planned state of affairs, hence my earlier posts. If it was pre-arranged then I take it all back but am slightly confused xxxx

I seem to recall Tunnels messing with the club night aspect of the Sister Resist! nights is what killed it off. Possibly the same deal with I Fly Spitfires as well???

Guest idol_wild

Ach. I've thought about it and it all makes sense.

Maybe it'll be a good idea for those with Errors gig tickets to get into the aftershow at Moshulu at a reduced rate or something? The online ticketing company I use only issue a reference number, but I will hand out physical tickets to those with the reference number so that they'll have the actual ticket for entry in Moshulu.

As its currently held for Scotts event / held date - its not my event to set prices on/ comment...

But if though for some unforseen reason Scott decides to not use the date - itll be Adventures in Stereo as normal.

And in that case, my original offer still stands of free entry to AIS to anyone from the S + E show - whether theyre DJing or even if its jus plain old me.

And phil if your not DJing in tunnels the offer to join me is there too in that case.

hope there is no bad feeling / confusion over this.

im just hoping that i can arrange enough cover for that night so i can slip out to see Errors!

and ill learn in future to proof my posts before posting....

just as well i didnt put that Shane Macgowan date in for June as its only tbc as well (sorry couldnt resist!)

xxx

As its currently held for Scotts event / held date - its not my event to set prices on/ comment...

But if though for some unforseen reason Scott decides to not use the date - itll be Adventures in Stereo as normal.

And in that case, my original offer still stands of free entry to AIS to anyone from the S + E show - whether theyre DJing or even if its jus plain old me.

And phil if your not DJing in tunnels the offer to join me is there too in that case.

im just hoping that i can arrange enough cover for that night so i can slip out to see Errors!

just as well i didnt put that Shane Macgowan date in for June as its only tbc as well (sorry couldnt resist!)

xxx

Don't trust that fucker MacGowan - he TOTALLY screwed over Fitzpatricks

Guest idol_wild

xxx

There's no bad feeling at all. I was just a bit miffed that it was announced as I haven't even sorted out final details for the gig myself yet (in terms of stage times and the possibility of Errors DJing a bit after aswell, etc). It just means my options are limited, but like I said earlier, it could actually benefit the gig itself with the combination of promotion making more people aware of the fact Errors are in Aberdeen that night, aswell as taking some of the complications/issues of running a club-based night off my shoulders for that one. :up:

Though I might still bitchslap you in public. Just for an absolute giggle.