aberdeen-music

personal insults

The Milner

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
there must be some kind of basic rules tho, yes i know the FQA is there but it seems to be very inconsistant in terms of how it is followed.

You're a cunt.

I'm sure I've explained my view on this several times before, but anyway...

I don't think a hard and fast "this is what is allowed, and this is what is not" approach works. As Dave says, context makes a difference. I always look for the intent behind he post. For example, Mr Exposure's post in this very thread. Under fixed and defined rules, he would be deleted, and possibly banned. But calling someone a cunt, doesn't always mean calling them a cunt. There is no black and white. And it's probably also fair to say that different mods have different opinions, but I think that's for the good. I am quite happy to have my opinion challenged - as I have also explained before, there is a lot more moderating going on behind the scenes that you don't see. The staff don't always agree, but we will discuss it. And if you or anyone else doesn't like a decision made, you're free to dispute it, there are plenty of avenues available.

Out of interest do you have an example in mind that you are not happy with?

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I don't think a hard and fast "this is what is allowed, and this is what is not" approach works. As Dave says, context makes a difference. I always look for the intent behind he post. For example, Mr Exposure's post in this very thread. Under fixed and defined rules, he would be deleted, and possibly banned. But calling someone a cunt, doesn't always mean calling them a cunt. There is no black and white. And it's probably also fair to say that different mods have different opinions, but I think that's for the good. I am quite happy to have my opinion challenged - as I have also explained before, there is a lot more moderating going on behind the scenes that you don't see. The staff don't always agree, but we will discuss it. And if you or anyone else doesn't like a decision made, you're free to dispute it, there are plenty of avenues available.

You're a c............

Sorry, just couldn't do it to a mod. I'm too scared in case he kicks my ass.

I found it quite funny in the thread "Bad Bars" when my tag which read "Triple Kirks = Turds" was deleted while none of the other tags were, and coincidentally at around the same time as Dave started posting in the thread.

thanks for the decent answer frosty.

As i have said it just seems a bit inconsistant at times, and yes i understand you have to take into context the way something was said and in what situation, although it does seem that insults towards certain members of these forums is acceptable where as if they were directed at someone else they would be deleted. Also it seems at times that certain members get away with saying things that others do not. again tho this is subjective i guess to the way each person see's it. I also realise that at times i can be a bad offender of what i am talking about but again this is why id like the rules cleared up.

I obvioulsy do not want complete censorship of this website but i am fed up reading "your a fucking idiot" every second thread, again i can be blamed for some of this but it seems certain members look out for posts by other members to purley put them down.

As for examples, there are private features i can use to let you know about posts like that without having to get flamed on this thread for pointing them out, that is if they are used properly.

Guest idol_wild
I found it quite funny in the thread "Bad Bars" when my tag which read "Triple Kirks = Turds" was deleted while none of the other tags were, and coincidentally at around the same time as Dave started posting in the thread.

I had one of my tags relating to Triple Kirks deleted at the same time too. I just went back and re-entered it later on, once Dave was offline or, at the very least, invisible.

All I said was along the lines of "i hate triple kirks". That seemed unacceptable so I changed it to "i dislike triple kirks" which seemed to be more acceptable. No hatred involved. And it remained.

Guest idol_wild
The reason the tags function was turned off by Neil was because people were abusing it in this way.

I thought it was when it was directed at individuals?

Oh well. Either way, I produced some of my biggest guffaws at some of the tags people were entering. Some of them were absolute dynamite.

The reason the tags function was turned off by Neil was because people were abusing it in this way.

Yes I know. I just found it funny that no action was ever taken on the tags until it was one that affected you personally. I certainly never saw any tags being removed before that thread, and none of the tags about other bars were removed. Somewhat selective moderation wouldn't you say?

Dave, with the least offensive meant as possible, you need to lighten up a little. Other mods seem to be able to close a thread without the big Independance Day style speech before doing so, its patronising especially when at the end of the day its only people having a laugh, probably trying to get through the day at work! And save the good 'ole 'Aberdeen Music isn't a playground for throwing insults' speech, i've heard it before :up:

• Upvote 1

I've posted this before, and can't remember the outcome of said post because I had no other reason to be on the forums. Now from time to time I do come on more often to check out gigs etc. and catch up with others.

There are alot of culprits, never the same ones mind you, who do go about talking back, spreading their opinions like the word is gods alone and generally arrogant high horse bollocks. Before I moved to Aberdeen I found this site useful in searching for a band, put was put off. On asking others about the site the general consensus was don't bother. This wasn't anything to do with the site itself but more so about the people who posted.

Aberdeen is a small place. A forum of such ilk isn't the place for anything other than info and sensible debating. Until recently I had no problem but with posting my own experiences, ideas/opinons but they immeadiatly were shot down without even a sensible point made or constructive critiscm and then the fact I'm not even from Aberdeen became as issue which was borderline bigotry. Funny enough it's a different story when I bring it up in person face to face or passing by to those that were so quick to talk shit because I for one won't have people I have met or yet to but will no doubt bump into talk like an arse and I WILL bump into you at somepoint. So be prepared and don't go red faced and wimp out like the last person did.

Overall I think Mods need to stick to strict rules to a degree, not so much decide if they take offence but because others do. Also locking threads or warning those that start what is going to become pages of bull, throwing threads off topic and making themseleves look stupid. There are several threads from time to time that end up with people having a spat and like I said at the begining it doesn't look all that great to newcomers.

For a music forum everyone should be backing the scene and others.

Just my thoughts on it...

i think you also have to remember though that it's the fucking internet and not real life. if you go around calling people on stupid posts they put up on this site then i think you're taking the internet too seriously in the first place.

it's not like they're phoning your house and saying they're going to rape you or anything is it? it's people you don't know and don't care about disagreeing with your opinion in a slightly immature manner.

i think you also have to remember though that it's the fucking internet and not real life. if you go around calling people on stupid posts they put up on this site then i think you're taking the internet too seriously in the first place.

it's not like they're phoning your house and saying they're going to rape you or anything is it? it's people you don't know and don't care about disagreeing with your opinion in a slightly immature manner.

This is bang on. If people didn't take everything they read here to heart so much, or throwing a pissy-fit when someone disagrees with them, malicious insults probably wouldn't happen so much. I think the vast majority of users on this site can discuss music in a light-hearted way and don't feel the need to be a twat.

And to be honest, I was never put off the site by the people who write bollocks, there is a reason for the ignore user function. I mean, I signed up when Stripey was in full swing, and it didn't really bother me.

Some basic level of respect for other people shouldn't go out the window because "it's the internet". I hate that excuse for people to turn into absolute nonsense merchants and think that it's OK.

It's not real life - yeah, it's all a figment of your imagination. I take the internet as seriously as I take the phone or talking to someone face to face - it's all communication. I don't expect to get away with calling someone a fucking cockmaster on the internet because I wouldn't expect to get away with calling a total stranger to their face.

Some basic level of respect for other people shouldn't go out the window because "it's the internet". I hate that excuse for people to turn into absolute nonsense merchants and think that it's OK.

It's not real life - yeah, it's all a figment of your imagination. I take the internet as seriously as I take the phone or talking to someone face to face - it's all communication. I don't expect to get away with calling someone a fucking cockmaster on the internet because I wouldn't expect to get away with calling a total stranger to their face.

i didn't say that people shouldn't show respect or that it was ok to just slag folk off. i was trying to say it's really not the of the world if it happens. the internet isn't comparable to any other form of communication as you don't regularly talk on the phone with people you don't know and discuss which member of girls aloud you'd stick your rancid pecker into first. or maybe you do, who knows?

internet forums aren't real life. many people hide behind a stupid persona online to get away with saying what they like. if someone annoys you just shrug and log off. instantly everything is normal again.

you can also try taking one of these:

lol_internet.jpg

• Upvote 1

internet forums aren't real life.

lol_internet.jpg

Then surely if someone was to call you a faggot online your ok with it? Tell me, when your online and talk to your friends... the next day when you meet up with them is it like whatever you discussed or spoke about just didn't happen?

To say the internet isn't real, yet you are using it is abit weird. If someone insulted me or others to the point where it had gone too far then there are always ways to find out where people live. I'm not talking about ALL forums or manner of sites but this one in particular because everyone knows someone in Aberdeen and it would be no time at all before there was a knock at your door and awkardness.

The internet is unfortunately taken SERIOUSLY. It's getting to the point where you can't even do something on Facebook anymore before it stirs shit up.