aberdeen-music

Celebrity Tears - FFS

Diesel

Before I type another thing, I want to go on record as stating that I wholeheartedly support charity work, especially when it's for the benefit of children.

However, anyone watching that hoor's abortion of a programme last night - the one where a bunch of airheads and lightweight pop singers climbed Kilimanjaro for Red Nose Day - must surely agree with me that it was toe-curlingly embarrasing beyond belief.

I manage to make it through the hugging and hand-holding, my gag reflex was only just held in check at the "ooh us poor feet is all nerve damaged from dancing" and Fatty Barlow's sore back...

...but the Hoover Dam could not have contained the vomit that spewed forth when Denise

Van Outen started her designer bubbling at the baby with malaria.

The quivering lip, the reddenig of the eyes then the dainty wee "look at me, I'm being so brave" flap of her hand in front of her face.

How the FUCK can anyones who's biggest life dilemmas are....

1. the Versace or the Prada - ooh I just cant choose

2. I have crow's feet

3. Do I look fat in this?

4. Davina's rating are highr than mine

...possibly identify with a woman who's thoughts might be, will I eat today?, will my child be alive tomorrow?

Now there's an argument that says these guys are helping by their very involvement in these things. but surely it would be much more effective if they simply made a donation?That trip and all the organisation will have cost a fortune.

But then if they simply donated a very small % of their wealth, there would be no opportunity to bubble like fannies in front of millions, would there?

All done, ta.

2. I have crow's feet

...possibly identify with a woman who's thoughts might be, will I eat today?, will my child be alive tomorrow?

You can still have basic human compassion even if you have all of life's riches. That aside, I've never understood the "I'm jumping out a plane/climbing a mountain/taking part in a mind blowing personal experience for charity, can you give me 9 towards the costs and 1 towards malaria vaccinations?" approach.

You can still have basic human compassion even if you have all of life's riches. That aside, I've never understood the "I'm jumping out a plane/climbing a mountain/taking part in a mind blowing personal experience for charity, can you give me 9 towards the costs and 1 towards malaria vaccinations?" approach.

That's exactly the point I'm making (raising a 10 with 9 costs) - and I'm quite sure DVO and the rest do have compassion. but it all looks do stage managed.

I'm not against celebs getting involved but that was all so touchy, feely, weepy and just smacked of personal profile raising.

And to answer an earlier question - my and my colleagues (9 of us) raised 100 amongst ourselves today for the cause.

That's exactly the point I'm making (raising a 10 with 9 costs) - and I'm quite sure DVO and the rest do have compassion. but it all looks do stage managed.

I'm not against celebs getting involved but that was all so touchy, feely, weepy and just smacked of personal profile raising.

And to answer an earlier question - my and my colleagues (9 of us) raised 100 amongst ourselves today for the cause.

I totally agree with you, it is stage managed and there's no way anyone involved could claim it as entirely selfless. People at home like to see tears (I'm talking your regular everyday vacuous telly addict morons, not aberdeen-music.commers!) and I don't doubt celebrity tears are more likely to make them donate than if they saw the same deprivation on the news or were accosted by an old wifie rattling a tin outside Markies.

Comic Relief - A necessary evil?

Speaking of using charity for your own benefit reminds me of my days selling advertising space at the P&J. Every now and then we'd have to sell a charity page. I am embarrassed for my part in this conversation......

"Good afternoon Sir, we've got a charity page coming up next month where we are raising awareness and funds for a local MS charity. We were wondering if we could rely on your support to take out an advert on this page in support of the charity. Not only does it benefit them but it is also an opportunity to raise the profile of your company"

"Hmmm, interesting. How much does it cost?"

"Well, for a 5cm X 2 column ad in colour it costs 100"

"that's reasonable......and how much of that goes directly to the charity?"

"oh, I don't know, I'll just ask my supervisor"

(hold music)

"erm, 12.5%" :O

(*click* beeeeeeeeeeep)

nice one what did you guys do to raise it?

I only ask as my work has been selling cakes and stuff today, just interesed in what people got up to to help the cause.

nice one what did you guys do to raise it?

I only ask as my work has been selling cakes and stuff today, just interesed in what people got up to to help the cause.

Well we made a pledge at Xmas not to waste money on shite like Secret Santa and the rest was good old-fashoined tin rattling...and a swear jar for me at 50p a pop (17.50) lol

Well we made a pledge at Xmas not to waste money on shite like Secret Santa and the rest was good old-fashoined tin rattling...and a swear jar for me at 50p a pop (17.50) lol

haha thats a decent amount of swearing, i work for an engineering company and we have had van drivers dressed up in radom outfits along with people selling cakes and goodies round the office.

Before I type another thing, I want to go on record as stating that I wholeheartedly support charity work, especially when it's for the benefit of children.

However, anyone watching that hoor's abortion of a programme last night - the one where a bunch of airheads and lightweight pop singers climbed Kilimanjaro for Red Nose Day - must surely agree with me that it was toe-curlingly embarrasing beyond belief.

I manage to make it through the hugging and hand-holding, my gag reflex was only just held in check at the "ooh us poor feet is all nerve damaged from dancing" and Fatty Barlow's sore back...

...but the Hoover Dam could not have contained the vomit that spewed forth when Denise

Van Outen started her designer bubbling at the baby with malaria.

The quivering lip, the reddenig of the eyes then the dainty wee "look at me, I'm being so brave" flap of her hand in front of her face.

2. I have crow's feet

Now there's an argument that says these guys are helping by their very involvement in these things. but surely it would be much more effective if they simply made a donation?That trip and all the organisation will have cost a fortune.

But then if they simply donated a very small % of their wealth, there would be no opportunity to bubble like fannies in front of millions, would there?

All done, ta.

The trip was sponsored by BT and didn't cost anyone directly. Not sure on the reasons why a straight donation from the likes of BT cant take place but is rare for companies to just hand over money. As much as it may pain a large section of the populace awareness raising is a big part of this, and it works Im sure. None of us have to watch the greeting faced celebs.

Annie Lennox later was a little ore dignified. Held herself together until she was well away from the kids and then blubbed, which to be honest would be difficult not to do when confronted by these things there or anywhere. As for bloody Fern Cotton feinting in the bloody hospital and having to be looked after by the nurses that should be looking after the kids. Deary me! Note to producers, dont send someone that wont be able to handle it!

The sketch thing Ricky Gervais and Steve Merchant did in 2007 for Comic Relief was brilliant, pointing out the use of charity appeals to promote the celebrities products.

Apparently when he started crying in this video the phone donations reached their peak, then dropped to their lowest of the night when they realised it was a piss-take!