aberdeen-music

Which has been the best decade for music?

Spiritinthesky

The internet has made this the best decade for music. Everyone can hear so much more than they had the chance to before.

It's made music much more accessible, but we've been saturated with absolute pish in this decade. I generally find it takes 10 - 20 years from the end of a decade before everyone starts to remember the good stuff anyway. Like how the pop music of 80s was universally derided until a few years ago, now it's seen as an important stepping stone in modern music, and there were some great tunes. I remember thinking in the 90s there's nothing in this decade that's going to stand the test of time, because the charts at the time were full of shit like Boyzone, 911 and The Spice Girls. But thankfully most of that disposable shit has been forgotten about and the really good music (britpop, grunge etc.) is the stuff that looking back people think of as the music of the 90s.

Which brings us to the next question - once all the X-Factor / Pop Idol shit has been forgotten about, what will be the music that the 00s are remember for?

I like the suggestion that music was invented in the 1950s. :laughing:

What about all the great swing and big band music from the '30s? Or the crooners from the 40's? The Delta blues from the 20s and Dixieland from the 1910s?

Yes, the 1610s were my personal fave, that's when Viadana released Exultate Justi.

It's made music much more accessible, but we've been saturated with absolute pish in this decade. I generally find it takes 10 - 20 years from the end of a decade before everyone starts to remember the good stuff anyway. Like how the pop music of 80s was universally derided until a few years ago, now it's seen as an important stepping stone in modern music, and there were some great tunes. I remember thinking in the 90s there's nothing in this decade that's going to stand the test of time, because the charts at the time were full of shit like Boyzone, 911 and The Spice Girls. But thankfully most of that disposable shit has been forgotten about and the really good music (britpop, grunge etc.) is the stuff that looking back people think of as the music of the 90s.

Which brings us to the next question - once all the X-Factor / Pop Idol shit has been forgotten about, what will be the music that the 00s are remember for?

I don't really think its a good question because we all remember different things and enjoy different aspects of an era.

The 00's have been awesome so far for electronica (The Tuss, Modeselectktor etc.) and I don't think I could be without Radiohead's Kid A phase. On the flip-side I think "R&B" music has been the antagonist to this decade.

I think the noughties for me has been stuff like The White Stripes, The Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Kings Of Leon, The Killers, Franz Ferdinand etc. Alternative mainstream rock. I think those kinds of bands and the likes of Arctic Monkeys, Kaiser Chiefs etc will be the bands that are mostly remembered when people look back to this time (talking generally of course, not individual memories). They're mainstream and popular enough to be remembered, but not so utterly vapid to be forgotten about, like all the X-Factor stuff.

70's was my era, it was a time when you didnt have to conform to a stereotype (although many did) Listening of choice for me was Stones, Hendrix, Humble Pie, Cream, Deep Purple...etc etc I grew my hair and wore Levis and baseball boots.... but on a Saturday night on went the tweed suit a shirt and tie and I would beat a path to the Palace ballroom and dance the night away to Freeda Payne, the Four Tops, Elvis and the fabulous Palace Band.... happy happy days...:love:

Every era brings up a Gem or three....you just need to look under the rather ugly and slime covered surface...:up:

G...

70's was my era, it was a time when you didnt have to conform to a stereotype (although many did) Listening of choice for me was Stones, Hendrix, Humble Pie, Cream, Deep Purple...etc etc I grew my hair and wore Levis and baseball boots.... but on a Saturday night on went the tweed suit a shirt and tie and I would beat a path to the Palace ballroom and dance the night away to Freeda Payne, the Four Tops, Elvis and the fabulous Palace Band.... happy happy days...:love:

Every era brings up a Gem or three....you just need to look under the rather ugly and slime covered surface...:up:

G...

Wow, didn't realise Elvis played the Palace, lucky you.

That's why the 50s were cool! :laughing: They also managed to avoid Girls Aloud and all the Pop Idol folks.

Having lived in all of those decades, I'd go for the 60s, although my 70s listening was pretty damn good....it missed out a lot of crap and zoned into Ivor Cutler, Nick Drake, Kevin Coyne, Tim Buckley etc, then was more than happy when punk came along.

Not much after then though

*preparing for abuse smiley*

good music and crap music in all decades- i just seem to remember all the good stuff i listened to

G...

My friend and I used to frequent the Venue every friday night to see the bands- we'd spend ages trying to spike our dyed hair and dress as freaky as we could (but we never looked ugly!) On a sunday we'd go listening to the auld mannies playing Jazz in the Gloucester Hotel- happy days

*dons flak jacket* In my opinion, Cliff Richard and the Shadows made some of the best pop records ever in the early 1960s (admittedly some of the worst since).

*pops on own flak jacket and hunkers down beside Bigsby in the dugout*

I have a pretty decent collection of very early Cliff & Shads stuff.

As for the Palace....I was another of those bopping about on the dancefloor to Freda Payne etc (loved Band of Gold), but I got most excited when I heard T. Rex, Slade or Sweet come on.

I was always ugly, and danced badly.....probably what saved me from getting kicked in as often as my pals, as 'trapping' was more of a struggle :laughing:

I like the suggestion that music was invented in the 1950s. :laughing:

What about all the great swing and big band music from the '30s? Or the crooners from the 40's? The Delta blues from the 20s and Dixieland from the 1910s?

The reference was toward rock n roll and electric music! Bit too subtle, or maybe obvious, for you was it?:rolleyes:

its a noughties creation such debates and discussions (well maybe from the late 90's), polls, which was the best etc etc.

there's good and bad in every decade. i think now we have reached a point where its getting harder and harder to create something new and exciting whilst the market is over saturated with reforming bands trying to recapture past glories (or make an easy buck (or both!)) and manufactured turds courtesy of the likes of simon cowell and louie walsh etc.

i grew up in the 80's/90's so have a fondness for a lot of bands from that era such as the fall, the smiths, new order, cabaret voltaire, the cure, the wedding present, the pixies and scritti politti (and many more!). as i've got older i've found myself discovering more and more music from all decades.

but i think the late 60's spearheaded by the likes of the beatles and the stones set the blue print for what was to come. and in a lot of todays new music you hear a lot of punk and disco from the 70's.

i'm not so sure what the noughties will be remembered for - it lacked a good musical movement - emo was kicking about a few years ago but i for the life of me could never understand what it was all about!!!