aberdeen-music

Which has been the best decade for music?

Spiritinthesky

50's / Elvis, Chuck Berry and Rock & Roll

60's / The Beatles and The British Invasion, Motown, Psychedelia and the beginnings of Heavy Metal

70's / Arena Rock, FM Radio, Punk, Drugs and Rock & Roll. And disco

80's / New Wave, House, Hair Metal and MTV

90's / Grunge, Alternative, RockCountryPop and Boy Groups

00's / Pop Idol, The X Factor, American Idol, everybody reforms and every possible Genre and subgenre imaginable

If you fancy having a vote go to

This Day in Music.com

That's why the 50s were cool! :laughing: They also managed to avoid Girls Aloud and all the Pop Idol folks.

Having lived in all of those decades, I'd go for the 60s, although my 70s listening was pretty damn good....it missed out a lot of crap and zoned into Ivor Cutler, Nick Drake, Kevin Coyne, Tim Buckley etc, then was more than happy when punk came along.

Not much after then though

*preparing for abuse smiley*

It might happen to you, Medichi, but I've never had that day yet......there's always something new musically to delight me.....but I still think lots of music is shit :) (Never ALL though. You need to keep an open mind.)

What would be horrible would be being stuck only liking one era/style of music...lost in the past forever.

60s for me. I listen to Sounds of the 60s quite often on Radio 2 on a saturday morning and there's always loads of great stuff. Even the stuff I've never heard of sounds great. There's just something about the production back then, it usually sounded brilliant.

Production has been mostly downhill since then IMO, despite all the new technology.

The 80s:

Talking Heads

Pixies

Sonic Youth

Minutemen

Husker Du

fIREHOSE

Black Flag

The Replacements

Kate Bush

Big Country

Prince

Arthur Russell

R.E.M.

Slayer

Metallica

Bruce Springsteen

Beat Happening

Wipers

and loads more

How can anyone compile a list of the top acts of the 80s and miss out The Smiths. Shocking!

(Yes, I did see the 'and loads more' part)

I would've loved to have been a teenager in the 50s and got into rock n roll then, then be primed and ready for the 60s, before taking a short sabatical and re-enter the fray as a battle-worn punk.

Although I have a terrible feeilng I may have been a rock naysayer and been into some stuffy dance-hall stuff or something :(

To answer the question, for me the 60s is the best hands down. In terms of style, society, drugs, and most importantly of course, the music; it wins them all. The 'definining' acts of the 60s stand tall above those from other decades, and the more I delve into lesser known stuff from the 60s as well, the more I find that I love.

I'm like Bigsby in that there is just something so right about the production of those times.

• Upvote 1

The 90s were more about Jungle and Stoned Dub Hip Hop for me than what the original dude listed, so I liked them fine, also the era of the classic Dance album (Leftism et al).

Also the 70s is glorious from a Reggae perspective as that was its Golden Age, not to mention Funkadelic, early 70s Stones, Allman Brothers, Spirit, St Nick Drake, Blondie, Ramones, late 70s Specials,

Yeah there is always some good shit, but the inverse cream effect seems to be in effect at the moment, when only the most insipid bland pish rises to the top.

You mean like Alan? ;)

Ouch!

I was just a toddler in the 50s, so my first musical memories were my folks playing Johnny Cash (put me off him, sadly), Miki & Griff and Jimmy Shand (ace!!!). Then I heard my sister playing the Kinks, Who, Stones, Beatles & Pretty Things (also had to put up with Cliff Richard and Cilla Black though!).

Ouch!

I was just a toddler in the 50s, so my first musical memories were my folks playing Johnny Cash (put me off him, sadly), Miki & Griff and Jimmy Shand (ace!!!). Then I heard my sister playing the Kinks, Who, Stones, Beatles & Pretty Things (also had to put up with Cliff Richard and Cilla Black though!).

On my way to work I walk past a bagpipe shop (really). They have a poster advertising "The Jimmy Shandrix Experience".

*dons flak jacket* In my opinion, Cliff Richard and the Shadows made some of the best pop records ever in the early 1960s (admittedly some of the worst since).