aberdeen-music

Tiger Tiger's new indie rock night

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I agree, I have confirmed with 2 well known central belt bands to come up and play and willing to give Tiger Tiger a bite at it before pitching to the usual suspects. Also trying to add on a current good Aberdeen band to open. The 2 bands confirmed are:

Serpico : SERPICO - Glasgow ABC2 - April 11th! on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Youtube :

HeHatesUs : HeHatesUs on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

the gig will be happening on Friday 5th June with venue to be confirmed. Also will be pitching this to the uni folks as a combined end of term rock party/gig.

Won't be every ones cup of tea but Serpico have did some stonking European support slots with Wednesday 13, Black Stone Cherry, Stone Gods, InMe, Paradise Lost, AFI etc and put on a great show. This will also be the debut gigs for both bands in Aberdeen.

The genre "indie-tock" fills me with dread. I've never actually been to Tiger Tiger, how big is the room that the bands play in?

500 capacity apparently.

Did anyone go to Tiger Tiger on Friday night for this new event?

Would you go back? Would you consider playing there?

We played the first night on Friday, and definately won't be going back. And I suggest that anyone who gets an invite to really think hard about accepting it.

I had initially agreed to help out with bookings etc, but after Friday I certainly wont be.

Can you elaborate further? What was so bad about it? I was really quite excited about this prospect. :down:

Where do I start? Well, it seems that Tiger hire out the hall from 7-10 on a Friday, so we had to go soundcheck from 6 on the Thursday, but the sound guy is just one of the DJ's and really doesn't know what he is doing, (Although in fairness he is very keen and worked really hard to please), so we were there till well after 10. But it didn't matter as the Quiz that was in before used the PA without really knowing what they were doing, and messed up the settings anyway. They also wont take in a lighting rig to save costs, so we played pretty much in darkness.

The room itself is awful, the roof is far too low, and the acoustics are terrible, it is probably one of the worst sounds I have ever had!

Not only this but the management don't want bands on till 12, so would mean final acts won't be on till gone 2! They played really shitty pop/dance music, not the rock stuff that was promised, so pretty much everyone who came left before we played.

And finally they tried to cut our fee from the price we had agreed. I had real hopes that this could be great, but the hierarchy have an idea how they want it to work on there terms without considering what live music fans would appreciate, and wont take heed to how it actually could work.

They don't want metal, funk, well really any band that doesn't play Indie, I'm sorry but it is just destined to fail. I feel bad for pulling out after just one gig, but the writing is already on the wall.

Where do I start? Well, it seems that Tiger hire out the hall from 7-10 on a Friday, so we had to go soundcheck from 6 on the Thursday, but the sound guy is just one of the DJ's and really doesn't know what he is doing, (Although in fairness he is very keen and worked really hard to please), so we were there till well after 10. But it didn't matter as the Quiz that was in before used the PA without really knowing what they were doing, and messed up the settings anyway. They also wont take in a lighting rig to save costs, so we played pretty much in darkness.

The room itself is awful, the roof is far too low, and the acoustics are terrible, it is probably one of the worst sounds I have ever had!

Not only this but the management don't want bands on till 12, so would mean final acts won't be on till gone 2! They played really shitty pop/dance music, not the rock stuff that was promised, so pretty much everyone who came left before we played.

And finally they tried to cut our fee from the price we had agreed. I had real hopes that this could be great, but the hierarchy have an idea how they want it to work on there terms without considering what live music fans would appreciate, and wont take heed to how it actually could work.

They don't want metal, funk, well really any band that doesn't play Indie, I'm sorry but it is just destined to fail. I feel bad for pulling out after just one gig, but the writing is already on the wall.

sounds exactly how i had imagined, damm shame that.

Night clubs are never a great idea for gigs they are not interested in people wanting to play or see live music, just money and numbers through the door, yes i do know it is what every venue/promoter wants but at least gig venues have a bit of compasion for bands and punters these kind of places are only interested in one thing. Again its a damm shame, BUT at the the same time we dont really need tiger tiger as an indie venue do we?

They don't want metal, funk, well really any band that doesn't play Indie

That's fair enough if they're putting on an 'indie rock' night.

This is what I had to say in the announcements thread:

"If you want my suggestion, lower the amount of gigs the venue puts on to one a month. Make it a big event, three GOOD local bands and you should pull more of a crowd / get a better reputation than if you put on three shitty bands every Friday that only their mates come along to."

However if the acoustics were as shit as you said then maybe it's a gash idea in whole.

Who was actually putting the gigs on? I mean who did the search for the bands and was there someone promoting it? Was there any checks done on the bands or could any old shit play if they were willing?

It would perhaps work better if they had someone who knew what they were doing organising the shows and a sound engineer who wasn't just a DJ.

That's fair enough if they're putting on an 'indie rock' night.

This is what I had to say in the announcements thread:

"If you want my suggestion, lower the amount of gigs the venue puts on to one a month. Make it a big event, three GOOD local bands and you should pull more of a crowd / get a better reputation than if you put on three shitty bands every Friday that only their mates come along to."

However if the acoustics were as shit as you said then maybe it's a gash idea in whole.

Who was actually putting the gigs on? I mean who did the search for the bands and was there someone promoting it? Was there any checks done on the bands or could any old shit play if they were willing?

It would perhaps work better if they had someone who knew what they were doing organising the shows and a sound engineer who wasn't just a DJ.

Well initially they were going to do it themselves, but when they found out how hard it could be they tried to get in a few people who basically said they were not interested, then they asked me, and I said yes. But at the time I was under the impression that they were willing to be a lillte more flexible than they actually are or will be

To be honest, it sounds like it does have some degree of potential, but like I say - a monthly thing rather than weekly is the way forward.

Would they not be more willing to be more flexible if it was indeed only monthly? A proper dedicated night without any quiz / private function distractions..?

Not at all, they don't want to just do it once a month, they are not willing to be at all flexible, it is Tigers way or the Highway, but hey it is there club. Basically it seems a case of Tiger being totally dead on a Friday, apparently they normally have less than 100 through the door most Fridays, although I have nothing to back this up with apart from what I've heard. They don't give a toss about helping bands or anything, they just want to make some what they think are easy bucks. The have made it perfectly clear they want only Indie bands, and on every Friday. Also, if they were to bin the private hire on the Friday nights they would be writing off a fair bit of money I'd expect.

I've done bands in there before and it's actually pretty decent. We pretty much used the entire dance floor as the stage area. We took in a proper PA and some minimal lighting. You can't use a sound system that is firing in all directions for a band.

Not at all, they don't want to just do it once a month, they are not willing to be at all flexible, it is Tigers way or the Highway, but hey it is there club. Basically it seems a case of Tiger being totally dead on a Friday, apparently they normally have less than 100 through the door most Fridays, although I have nothing to back this up with apart from what I've heard. They don't give a toss about helping bands or anything, they just want to make some what they think are easy bucks. The have made it perfectly clear they want only Indie bands, and on every Friday. Also, if they were to bin the private hire on the Friday nights they would be writing off a fair bit of money I'd expect.

Seems like they've identified the indie demographic as their target market, possibly because indie kids have a reputation for drinking more of their high margin product lines. That being the case their aim may be to get 500 indie kids in drinking pints and Bkue WKDs; the band is just a means of attracting those, but might prove too much hassle.

Sounds they need is an 'appliance band'. Bit like a fridge only it plays indie rock.

how much are the artists being paid? what part of tiger are the gigs happening in? (upstairs or downstairs) what sort of advertising is being done at street level? What are the drinks prices and how much does entry cost?

SO MANY QUESTIONS

Far as I'm aware:

How much? - don't know.

Where? - Downstairs - apparently a stage being set up etc - 500 capacity venue

Advertising? - Have seen people out flyering the fact there's an indie night every Friday, but don't know if they'll be advertising individual bands etc

Drink prices - pass. Although the bands and their friends get access to VIP lounge with private bar - don't know if drinks are cheaper though.

So - eh, not much help, sorry :)

Far as I'm aware:

How much? - don't know.

Advertising? - Have seen people out flyering the fact there's an indie night every Friday, but don't know if they'll be advertising individual bands etc

Drink prices - pass. Although the bands and their friends get access to VIP lounge with private bar - don't know if drinks are cheaper though.

Kashmir Red play Tiger Tiger on Friday.

Looking forward to it....come and check it out for yourselves...;)

Far as I'm aware:

How much? - don't know.

This is NOT good.

What? My post? Or some of the details about the indie night?

The details you have provided.

The whole thing just creeps me out. Not advertising the bands, just the night. This is so fucking.... "ugh"!

I kinda want to play it myself though, just cos I'm like that.