aberdeen-music

Changing Scottish to English notes

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
read again, they are only required to accept coins, if you tried to pay for it with a ten pound note they would be well within their rights to say no, even better if you tried to use a pound note down in england, they would probably look at you like you just shit in their mouths before pissing over their car.

What I mean is, does a shop have to accept to sell you a mars bar, at all, regardless of how you want to pay for it?

I am asking, rather than arguing. I would have thought that a shop would be well within their rights to do business (or not do business) with whoever they choose?

My understanding of contract law is that when you take a product up to the cash desk, you are making an offer. A contract is not complete until there is offer and acceptance. It is up to the person at the cash desk to "accept" and complete the contract.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What I mean is, does a shop have to accept to sell you a mars bar, at all, regardless of how you want to pay for it?

I am asking, rather than arguing. I would have thought that a shop would be well within their rights to do business (or not do business) with whoever they choose?

My understanding of contract law is that when you take a product up to the cash desk, you are making an offer. A contract is not complete until there is offer and acceptance. It is up to the person at the cash desk to "accept" and complete the contract.

yeah your right, they do not have to sell you anything even if you offer more than they are asking. Them selling you something is entirely up to them.

You're telling me that if I walk into a shop and try to buy a Mars bar for 50p or whatever, and hand over a 50p coin, the shop owner can't turn round and say, sorry I'm not serving you (for any reason he chooses)?

Now, I accept they won't be entitled to discriminate on basis of race/sex etc etc. But surely it's up to them who buys their products. No?

Yes, they can refuse you for any reason but once they give one, they are answerable for it.

Its been a long time since I did a course in sales law (and my ex nicked the books!) but IIRC, once you have offered a valid form of payment, the shopkeeper has little room to refuse you. Indeed, like a restaurant dispute, you could probably bang down a reasonable offer on the counter and walk-off with the goods. The chance of the shopkeeper getting any further redress is slim.

Unfortunately, the only time I had a chance to try this in practice, the shopkeeper backed-down fast and accepted my payment. ;)

Yes, they can refuse you for any reason but once they give one, they are answerable for it.

Its been a long time since I did a course in sales law but IIRC, once you have offered a valid form of payment, the shopkeeper has little room to refuse you. Indeed, like a restaurant dispute, you could probably bang down a reasonable offer on the counter and walk-off with the goods. The chance of the shopkeeper getting any further redress is slim.

Unfortunately, the only time I had a chance to try this in practice, the shopkeeper backed-down fast and accepted my payment. ;)

Aye, that's all I was getting at :)

I'm guessing they don't have to give you a reason though. But yeah, if they were to say, sorry I don't serve people of your race in this shop, they'd be fucked (if you could prove they said it of course).

I also have a vague memory of the law on implied contracts applying as well?

That went back to the early days of the Yuppies, when there was brief fad where a few shops/shopping centres in England tried to charge potential customers for entry - Or more likely, tried to keep-out the riff-raff? One of them tried to open a branch in Edinburgh and the charge was a non-starter, ruled inappropriate. Anyway, it quickly died a death.

I also wonder how the right to refuse service sits now that a good number of services/utillities are only payable in certain shops? eg, Pay Points, electricity/gas keys etc. Can a customer be refused service for them without a very good and clear reason? That did not complicate matters back then.

The biggest scam with banknotes is Travelex in Stansted - they were selling 95p worth of Gibraltar Pound Sterling for 1 British Pound Sterling. The fact that the two currencies are at par, combined with the GIP not really existing as a real currency makes it a rather nice scam for those that might be caught unaware.

I think this thread should be in "Pet Hates" as well really...

It is absolutlely outrageous that we, joe public should even tolerate a situation like this....

All banknotes issued in the UK are drawn on the gold reserves of the UK, and issued in Sterling... (even Scottish ones)... we have every right to DEMAND that english shops etc, take them !!!.... who's with me?

:)

(gets down off soap box !......)

It is absolutlely outrageous that we, joe public should even tolerate a situation like this....

All banknotes issued in the UK are drawn on the gold reserves of the UK, and issued in Sterling... (even Scottish ones)... we have every right to DEMAND that english shops etc, take them !!!.... who's with me?

Please know what your speaking about before spouting rubbish like that.

This is exactly the kind of thing I was getting at way up this thread. English (or any) shops are within their rights to not sell you anything, regardless of what bank note you hand over. It's up to them who they do business with. If a bank note looks funny to them, despite the fact it says "sterling" on it, it's up to them if they accept it or not.

That certainly did used to be the case, but they are merged with RBS now, so sometimes there is Scottish notes.

I think thats only very occasionally though if the local reserve is low on English notes. There was a point about a year or so ago where no English notes were being issued to the RBS as so many people only use English notes to take them overseas... bloody nightmare it was. The NatWest (so I was told) should only really issue English notes as it's an English bank despite being part of the RBS's umbrella.

I think it is perfectly reasonable for someone to think they could exchange their Scottish notes at a Bureau de Change. What is your problem?

Which one do you think is foreign? The English or the Scottish? They are both GBP thus making us unable to change between the two as we do foreign currency. Also where would our profit be?

Please know what your speaking about before spouting rubbish like that.

It was a joke, for fucks sake !

(I know notes are only promisery notes, they don't have to take any! )

so what part is rubbish ? ...what I said is accurate, they ARE all issued as sterling, and are just as much legal tender as any other UK note, so fuck off!

don't be a rude, pedantic twat, eh!

It was a joke, for fucks sake !

(I know notes are only promisery notes, they don't have to take any! )

so what part is rubbish ? ...what I said is accurate, they ARE all issued as sterling, and are just as much legal tender as any other UK note, so fuck off!

don't be a rude, pedantic twat, eh!

money isnt covered by gold supply, hasnt been for quite a while now, we may still have a gold supply but it doesnt cover all the money that is in circulation in britain.

chill winston.

Also techinically speaking scottish notes are not legal tender in england, they just choose to accept them some of the time.

Najwi?kszym oszustwem z banknotw Travelex w Stansted - byli sprzeda?y 95p warto?ci Gibraltaru na 1 funt szterling brytyjski funt szterling. Fakt, ?e obie waluty s? wed?ug warto?ci nominalnej, w po??czeniu z GIP nie istniej?ce jako realnej waluty sprawia, ?e raczej mi?e scam dla tych, ktre mog? by? ?owione nie?wiadomy.

eh??????

Which one do you think is foreign? The English or the Scottish? They are both GBP thus making us unable to change between the two as we do foreign currency. Also where would our profit be?

You've probably got heaps of both kinds of notes. Just be a good Samaritan and swap them you idle bitch.

You've probably got heaps of both kinds of notes. Just be a good Samaritan and swap them you idle bitch.

Exactly, I have heaps of both and will not dredge through all the days takings to find people English notes. Doesn't increase profits and wastes my time and I'd could be accused of money laundering. Again, Bureax do foreign currency exhanges only.

Exactly, I have heaps of both and will not dredge through all the days takings to find people English notes. Doesn't increase profits and wastes my time and I'd could be accused of money laundering. Again, Bureax do foreign currency exhanges only.

do a 1.0 exchange rate with a wee comission. Anyone who can be bothered changing Scottish notes to English ones to avoid a tiny bit of hassle 'dan sarf' deserves to get ripped off.

p.s. Is your boss anything like Steve Coogan in The Day Today?

"This ain't no two bit punch and judy show... this is a high class bureau de chaaaaange"