aberdeen-music

Changing Scottish to English notes

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just goto the people you bank with and do it there.....! Thats what i done when in London. I went down with a whole load of scottish notes once and got fed up being made to look like i had just shat on their doorstep on christmas day (by mostly foreigners too) and them holding it up and gettin it checked by a manager etc. Wankers

At the hotel I work in we get the British Airways crew staying with us. There contract says they can withdraw money from us.

Last week one of them asked for "British notes" and I lost it. :swearing:

I Pointed out, very angrily, that they were all "British" notes.

He just looked sheepish and apologised.

Sorry, this wasn't much help.

English retailers legally are obliged to take Scottish notes as they are sterling, however in some cases you might have to put up a bit of a fuss. If you go to your bank they should have a stockpile of English notes behind the counter and will exchange them free of charge. The Nat West on union street should exchange them as they are an English bank. If you can't be bothered dealing with people just withdraw from the Nat West cashline as it is onloy stocked with English notes.

English retailers legally are obliged to take Scottish notes as they are sterling, however in some cases you might have to put up a bit of a fuss. If you go to your bank they should have a stockpile of English notes behind the counter and will exchange them free of charge. The Nat West on union street should exchange them as they are an English bank. If you can't be bothered dealing with people just withdraw from the Nat West cashline as it is onloy stocked with English notes.

technincally speaking they do not have to accept scottish notes, only english notes are covered by the bank of england but of course most places will be happy to accept them.

Thanks for the suggestion, but they're unlikely to have hundreds of pounds sitting around in a shop, to be fair.

I may well just withdraw from a NatWest cash machine if indeed they only have English notes, and then from a cash machine in the airport to top it up. Just don't really want to be caught short, and would really rather just have everything sorted before I go.

technincally speaking they do not have to accept scottish notes, only english notes are covered by the bank of england

Yup, they are, technically, promissory notes. As are Northern Irish and Manx notes - The only thing that is full legal tender both sides of the border is the pound coin.

Saying that, there is absolutely no reason for them to refuse them as the status of non-BOE notes in the banking system is all the same.

Mind you, trying to spend a couple of these once was fun:

GBfiver.jpg

And Manx folk don't get it easy on the mainland with this:

page0_blog_entry66_1.jpg

But thank fuck we don't live in Totnes or Lewes, where these chats complicate matters further:

LP_sample.jpg

totnespoundfinal_01.jpg

:D

Alliance & Leicester.

I just went into Barclays and they said I could only change if I was a customer, which I'm not, but some kind lady who had about three grand in cash strewn in front of her like it was confetti changed quite a bit for me. Then I took out money from the cash machine which was also English.

Thanks for everyone's help. Shall take out some more tomorrow. :]

This information is not an invitation to mug me.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I don't think any retailer is legally obliged to accept any form of money whatsoever. They can tell you they won't accept your money if they like, it's their shop.

I don't think any retailer is legally obliged to accept any form of money whatsoever. They can tell you they won't accept your money if they like, it's their shop.

Only required to accept coins, up to the value of one pound.

They do have the right to refuse sale altogether for any legal reason but lose that if they own-up to why.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Only required to accept coins, up to the value of one pound.

They do have the right to refuse sale altogether for any legal reason but lose that if they own-up to why.

You're telling me that if I walk into a shop and try to buy a Mars bar for 50p or whatever, and hand over a 50p coin, the shop owner can't turn round and say, sorry I'm not serving you (for any reason he chooses)?

Now, I accept they won't be entitled to discriminate on basis of race/sex etc etc. But surely it's up to them who buys their products. No?

You're telling me that if I walk into a shop and try to buy a Mars bar for 50p or whatever, and hand over a 50p coin, the shop owner can't turn round and say, sorry I'm not serving you (for any reason he chooses)?

Now, I accept they won't be entitled to discriminate on basis of race/sex etc etc. But surely it's up to them who buys their products. No?

I wouldn't serve you. I'd take your 50p and the mars bar, punch you in the face, steal your wallet and then tell you to fuck off.

read again, they are only required to accept coins, if you tried to pay for it with a ten pound note they would be well within their rights to say no, even better if you tried to use a pound note down in england, they would probably look at you like you just shit in their mouths before pissing over their car.