aberdeen-music

Guitar Collections

Chaosphere72

seen a lot of peoples guitar collections ranging from 4 or 5 to nearly 20 guitars , but my question is do they really need that many guitars? if u are a semi pro touring muscian then sure it stands to reason but if u play every so often in your local area do you really need that many guitars? would it not be better to have 2 or 3 absolute awesome guitars that feel and play fantastic instead of a multitude of cheap sub standard mass manufactured electrics?personally the most difficult part in buying a guitar is making sure that it feels and sounds the way u want it to .ive have had many a beautifull looking axe but the playbility and comfort factor just wasn't there , so it was time to say goodbye.so basically i think it better to invest in a few high range quality electrics rather than have a load of instruments that u have to constantly adapt playing with .

It's not a question of need, it's a question of want. Some people collect stamps. I collect guitars. Well, basses actually. They're bigger. Yes, I could have one single poshy bass, but I like the variety, I like trying different things and I sell on the ones I don't get along with.

I'm also an irreverent tinkerer, I like changing things, which is why "cheap sub standard mass manufactured electrics" appeal to me. As long as the body and neck are sound, everything else can be changed.

currently ive got 4 guitars, none of them are the same as they were when they came out the factory... i like having variety in the sounds available to me, for example, ive got an LTD M50.. which only cost 200, on paper its shite, slam some EMGs in it (81/81) it sounds alot better, and its actually my favourite guitar to play...

thats going up against a Jackson Soloist, and a Gibson Les Paul Custom.

Both the Jackson and the Gibson cost ALOT more than the LTD did:P

the other guitars a washburn..which is for sale.

Keith Richards allegedly owns 3000 guitars... he has more money than sense in my opinion, especially considering the majority of those will be telecasters.

all in all, no point to this post what so ever, just bored.

I only have 3 basses now.

My main - Lakland skyline DJ4

My backup/drop tuned one - EB MM stingray

and my 5 string - Warwick corvette std in trans ocean blue (Which i may be willing to sell;))

Only got 1 cheapo electric guitar and 1 cheapo accoustic though :)

Dont really need more than that for now. Well maybe a DJ5...but thats not going to happen anytime soon.

seen a lot of peoples guitar collections ranging from 4 or 5 to nearly 20 guitars , but my question is do they really need that many guitars?

No.

if u are a semi pro touring muscian then sure it stands to reason but if u play every so often in your local area do you really need that many guitars?

No.

would it not be better to have 2 or 3 absolute awesome guitars that feel and play fantastic instead of a multitude of cheap sub standard mass manufactured electrics?

I have a few "awesome" guitars in my collection as well as some "cheap" ones (but worth pointing out that the "cheap" ones are often just about as good as the expensive ones). :cheers:

personally the most difficult part in buying a guitar is making sure that it feels and sounds the way u want it to .ive have had many a beautifull looking axe but the playbility and comfort factor just wasn't there , so it was time to say goodbye.so basically i think it better to invest in a few high range quality electrics rather than have a load of instruments that u have to constantly adapt playing with .

I dont choose my guitars by looks, I choose them by function, ie I need a guitar with P90s, or a tremolo etc. I guess Im just lucky in that all my guitars play and sound great to me. Or maybe Im just better at buying guitars than you. That said, some of them do look great as well, like this one for example.

dsc01912v.jpg

Bottom line: I worked hard doing two jobs for seven years and subsequently had some disposable income, some of which I spent on guitars. Personally, I think this was money better spent than going out on the piss or on holidays or whatever. I hardly get to play my guitars these days, but I can afford to keep them, so I will.

Is that OK with you?

And heres a pic of the whole collection, including Epiphones, Squiers etc, cheap guitars that all have their place. :up:

n573972363_1294202_7907.jpg

My interpretation of a "Guitar Collection", is a quantity of Instruments being cherished & adored, but rarely played.

A working musician, & I class myself in the catagory, having spent 35 years both Pro & Semi pro, can easily amass what seems like a collection, but is actually a "Set of tools", used for various textures as and when required.

As Bigsby said above, if you need P90's, got it, need a Semi acoustic, got it, Etc, Etc.

I currently own, & use on a rotational basis if no "Specific", is required, 13 Instruments of varying styles & value's, yet, I'm playing less than ever, as most gigs now are at best "Average".

A symptom of the North East publics attitude towards "Live bands".

However, I do know of a LOT of guitar players, who play occaisonally, that buy & sell guitars, like I shop for food.

just to clarify, i am just interested on other view points and i am deff not saying to anyone that u shouldn't have a collection of guitars thats not my point .what i am saying is in my case when i owned quite a few axes But! it was the well made and better sounding expensive guitars that always got the playing time .so basically i sold of the cheaper ones for a few really top notch esp eclipse's & explorers , so now when i reach for anyone of them i know i wont have to try and figgure the instrument or tweak the hell out of my amp becauswe its all there quality wise.

I used to have about cheapo old 10 guitars and really they just took us space, so I jettisoned them all. Now I have 2 low-mid level electrics and an acoustic and when I buy a better one, one of the old ones gets sold. Ditto amps, I have one, when I buy a new one, the older one gets sold. Don't get me wrong, if I had more cash and more space I would probably build a collection again and I'd like to get some higher quality stuff, but at the moment i have enough gear to practice and gig regularly and that's sufficient for my current needs.