aberdeen-music

Age old discussion (sell out)

iMac

Guest idol_wild
He just said exactly what I said at the start of the thread! :)

But I hate you and all of your posts though, so I refuse to acknowledge them!

Just kidding! ;)

So do footballers, but it's usually termed something else, like "gold-digging" or whatever. For example: Theo Snelders going to Rangers to triple his basic salary and to become backup goalkeeper for the club.

id just like to say before i go on that i hate the huns more than anything in life, BUT i can see why he would move there, more money, more chance of silverware even if it was to be a back up keeper.

Guest idol_wild
id just like to say before i go on that i hate the huns more than anything in life, BUT i can see why he would move there, more money, more chance of silverware even if it was to be a back up keeper.

Oh same here. I think he had a very good innings at Aberdeen, and I don't think very many fans grudged him his move to triple his wages and earn a more comfortable lifestyle. He deserved it. :up:

Haha, I was more just surprised at his pomposity to say "as said before, I define selling out as..." when a) he hadn't said it before, and b) it was me that did!

I'm not after a coconut or anything though :D

Remember johnny rotten making money from adverts and going on reality tv shows? That is coming close to selling out, although not quite in a musical sense.

Guest idol_wild
I'm not after a coconut or anything though :D

How about a nice ripe pineapple?

That is not a euphemism for anything else. Though it could be if you wanted it to be.

It's been estimated that 80% of pro musicians earn less than 10,000 per year. So I'm fairly sure that if they augment their income by licensing their music for ads, films and video games, they'll be able to bring themselves to treat comments about "selling out" from people who know absolutely nothing about their industry with the rich contempt they deserve.

It's been estimated that 80% of pro musicians earn less than 10,000 per year. So I'm fairly sure that if they augment their income by licensing their music for ads, films and video games, they'll be able to bring themselves to treat comments about "selling out" from people who know absolutely nothing about their industry with the rich contempt they deserve.

no but remember having your musical integrity is far far more important than being able to afford a house or even food, christ i dont know why any band even takes money for a gig, they should just do it because they love playing, they dont need to live or survive off any money, they have something far more important........

Guest idol_wild
It's been estimated that 80% of pro musicians earn less than 10,000 per year.

Can someone who earns less than 10,000 per year be considered to be a full-time professional in anything?

That's a part-time wage...

no but remember having your musical integrity is far far more important than being able to afford a house or even food, christ i dont know why any band even takes money for a gig, they should just do it because they love playing, they dont need to live or survive off any money, they have something far more important........

Musical integrity is a carbon neutral foodstuff. Full of vitamins and goodness. Best of all it doesn't make you fat...quite the opposite in fact.

It does have a side effect. Makes people who live on it insufferable and pompous and write inaccessible songs that nobody listens to.

Musical integrity is a carbon neutral foodstuff. Full of vitamins and goodness. Best of all it doesn't make you fat...quite the opposite in fact.

It does have a side effect. Makes people who live on it insufferable and pompous and write inaccessible songs that nobody listens to.

but is that not the point of music? To write music that only you will like as long as you dont comprimise your integrity? Heaven forbid that you might do something that someone else likes...

Guest idol_wild
Yes. According to the Musician's Union, equity and the taxman. In other words the ones that actually count.

Fair enough. In that case, I'd probably sell my hoop if it meant earning considerably more than 10,000. That is not a lot.

I'm such a sell out.

Charlie from Busted is the best example of it happening the wrong way.

He was in Busted playing shitty songs to make a bit of money, not because he liked it (yeah, he 'sold out' but he was milking the general public to make some money - no worse than your average joe working a job he hates, or a vegetarian working in McDonald's). Now he's in FIGHTSTAR the next big thing to happen to nu-metal since Limp Bizkit becuase he loves the music, man.

• Upvote 1

Guest Giles Walker

Dude... wouldn't be awesome if we all had an argument about what we all perceived selling out to be, whilst we all downloaded music illegally online and pretended we actually gave a fuck about this boring topic that has been argued about since the beginning of music?

why don't you start on famous bands and the moment they started selling out?

That should rattle a few cages.

Someone told me two days ago that they thought MF Doom was selling out because he is still selling records whilst other rappers are struggling nowadays.

You guys are sell outs for posting on this forum, wasn't it on TV once?

That makes it wack.

but is that not the point of music? To write music that only you will like as long as you dont comprimise your integrity? Heaven forbid that you might do something that someone else likes...

Sorry to admit this....but that is more or less my attitude. I do it because of the pleasure I get from writing songs, and I write songs which I like, not tailored so that other folk will like them better.

It's the same with painting......I used to worry about whether other folk would like my paintings, but my music attitude has finally rubbed off on my painting, and I go my own way, without being bothered about what anybody else thinks.

If someone offered me thousands tomorrow to do an advert for Donald Trump I'd tell them to get stuffed.

Part-time,....but I take your point....I can survive (just!) without money from music.

yeah, just to clear up my point has always been about people who's full time profession is music, never about part time bands or artists who do it for the pleasure or to suppliment a pay packet. Thats why ive used the refrence to other jobs, there are very few people who would say no to a better pay packet.

Charlie from Busted is the best example of it happening the wrong way.

He was in Busted playing shitty songs to make a bit of money, not because he liked it (yeah, he 'sold out' but he was milking the general public to make some money - no worse than your average joe working a job he hates, or a vegetarian working in McDonald's). Now he's in FIGHTSTAR the next big thing to happen to nu-metal since Limp Bizkit becuase he loves the music, man.

While still raking in the royalties from Busted.

Sorry to admit this....but that is more or less my attitude. I do it because of the pleasure I get from writing songs, and I write songs which I like, not tailored so that other folk will like them better.

It's the same with painting......I used to worry about whether other folk would like my paintings, but my music attitude has finally rubbed off on my painting, and I go my own way, without being bothered about what anybody else thinks.

If someone offered me thousands tomorrow to do an advert for Donald Trump I'd tell them to get stuffed.

That's a perfectly admirable point of view and fine if you don't rely on it to make a living.

If you do, however, make all or most of your money from music, then selling out just does not exist.

Do you have donald's number?