aberdeen-music

Metallica Overated?

Chaosphere72

What?!?!!?! That song is fucking amazing.

The lack of snare drum for 2 minutes annoys me! To me that song doesn't have riffs or grooves that compare with the likes Clash With Reality or Domination. I'm all about:

Heresy

Domination

Shattered (Pantera trying to be judas priest)

Clash With Reality

Art Of Shredding

Cemetery Gates

Cowboys From Hell (the song) is also good but I've heard it soooo much...

The lack of snare drum for 2 minutes annoys me! To me that song doesn't have riffs or grooves that compare with the likes Clash With Reality or Domination. I'm all about:

Heresy

Domination

Clash With Reality

Art Of Shredding

Cemetery Gates

primal concrete sledge on the DVD in moscow is one of the best live vids Ive seen.

Heresy

Domination

Clash With Reality

Art Of Shredding

Cemetery Gates

Cemetery Gates is in my top 5 songs of all times. In fact all the songs you've listed there are great :)

The following are also personal favourites:

Hollow

Suicide Note Pt 1 & 2

Drag The Waters

I'm Broken

A New Level

Fucking Hostile

By Demons Be Driven

Cemetery Gates is in my top 5 songs of all times. In fact all the songs you've listed there are great :)

The following are also personal favourites:

Hollow

Suicide Note Pt 1 & 2

Drag The Waters

I'm Broken

A New Level

Fucking Hostile

By Demons Be Driven

i have a hard house record that samples fucking hostile, its awesome.

Hollow

Suicide Note Pt 1 & 2

Drag The Waters

I'm Broken

A New Level

Fucking Hostile

By Demons Be Driven

Totally agree. Although Hollow (to me) doesn't get going til the riffs kick in, but when they do... wow.

My favourite Pantera song is still Slaughtered. Fucking brutal. The chuggy palm muted section around 2 mins is so, so heavy - and then the almost death metal riff that follows it. Incredible.

Strength Beyond Strength, Becoming, 5 Minutes Alone, Shedding Skin are also amazing.

Gah, they are less relevant than the mighty Celtic Frost, for example. Also, Tom G Warrior was way ahead of them in the 'alienating your entire fanbase'* stakes as well, which demands respect.

* see Cold Lake.

Not disagreeing with the impact of celtic frost... pretty much responsible for the birth of death metal, not they were really a death metal band as such.

But if you rounded up all the people who formed rock/metal bands and asked "who inspired you more to pick up an instrument and form a band, Metallica or Celtic Frost?" I think the response would be overwhelmingly in favour of the band with 100million album sales...

Ha Ha, good old Oliver Handbag on the left, and the bass player with his pubes hanging out, that photo was hysterical, even in the context of the late 80's. I saw them on that tour, at the Playhouse with Destruction supporting, and they were still crushingly heavy, just with added artificial harmonics (SSQQUEEak, diddley skwawk). Ace night out.

I'm only half serious as to relevance, because anyone could argue what that defined endlessly, but Frost were personally more inspirational, because they, or rather Tom, proved that you don't have to be a great musician to make great music, and I love his inept soloing on the first 3 albums, its visceral, and totally suited to the music. Frost were far more esoteric though, and, by definition, incapable of reaching the number of people that Metallica have, but can boast to have created a genre from scratch, whereas Metallica may have perfected the thrash template, nonetheless they were following in the wake of the speed of Motorhead, Venom and Raven, mixed with Diamond Head riffing.

I've run out of point now.