aberdeen-music

Metallica Overated?

Chaosphere72

This is a stupid argument. It's like debating whether U2 are overated. Surely when a band has been on the go for over 25 years to continued success among an established fanbase they are beyond being overated or not and are just there to be liked or disliked depending on your preference.

Then again I've only really stated listening to their old stuff over the last few years, for some reason I have grown more interested in metal beyond my traditional early AC/DC/Motorhead and early Maiden preferences so I can't really get that excited about how crap St. Anger is. I do like Death Magnetic though. And Load/Reload as well.

All good points, except saying "st anger is pretty poor", which is a parallel understatement to "Hitler had a minor dislike of the jews".

thanks to you i laughed really hard and now have rice stuck up my nose.

and to the guy who quoted my load and reload comment

yes. they are utterly awesome albums

also i forgot to say that s&m is genious. practically perfect in everyway

i also want to say that despite overall crapness of st anger the song 'frantic' is good, especially live

Master of Puppets is overrated, it's my least favourite of the first four! I do remember sticking it on and Ride the Lightning for the first time. May be a cliche, but I was blown away. I just loved it. Death Magnetic for me is a return to form. And Metallica at Download 2006 is the second best act I've seen live ever (best was Kiss at Download last year, but I think they are always going to be hard to beat)

Master of Puppets is overrated

Say what! Why is that "Mouse"?

it's my least favourite of the first four!

What a completely terrible basis to objectively state that the one, of if not THE most important metal album of all time is overrated.

I don't listen to Puppets that much anymore because I absolutely killed that album years ago. Doesn't mean it's overrated though.

also i forgot to say that s&m is genious. practically perfect in everyway

Amen! S&M is one of my favourite albums, even if you don't have much love for Metallica but you love music then there's no way you can dislike it!

Michael Kamen pulled a master stroke in putting an orchestra to Metallica's stuff, and in some cases the songs actually work better with the orchestra e.g Fuel, One, even dare I say it... Master of Puppets!

The DVD is astoundingly good with the different audio options.

Also it gave you an unofficial "best of" album, which in my opinion rocks socks :)

Say what! Why is that "Mouse"?

What a completely terrible basis to objectively state that the one, of if not THE most important metal album of all time is overrated.

I don't listen to Puppets that much anymore because I absolutely killed that album years ago. Doesn't mean it's overrated though.

I probably don't like it as much now because I never had it out my CD player for ages. I don't doubt how influential it is, I prefer the compositions on Ride the Lightning, the raw thrash of Kill 'Em All and the technicality of ...And Justice For All. Actually compared to the Black album, MOP is underrated ;)

The Black album was a total snore fest with a few exceptions. If I'm being honest, I used to slag the shit out of Load when I was a spotty teenager with limited music taste. I stuck it on recently and found it to be quite enjoyable

I'm not a massive Metallica fan, i always preferred Pantera, but the only Metallica album i don't like is St Anger. Death Magnetic isn't great but it's a lot better than St Anger and it has totally grown on me. ...And Justice For All and Master Of Puppets are as good as Metallica get but even Load and Reload have some cracking songs on them and just because they aren't balls out thrash doesn't mean that they don't stand up.

The one album that is overrated, in my opinion of course, is the black album. Yes it's good and yes there are some cracking songs on there but in my opinion it's very patchy and nowhere near as good as it gets made out to be. It's no better than Load and Reload for me.

Pantera were always a much better band in my opinion and although i've no doubt that Metallica have a hand in that influence-wise somewhere along the line, they will always be my favourite metal band. Phil Anselmo is a lot better than Hetfield vocally and dare i say it, Dimebag is a better guitarist than both James and Kirk. There isn't a rotten Pantera album, heck there isn't even a patchy one!

I think one of the main points people forget, when comparing metallica albums to other metallica albums, is that to compare say 'reload' to 'justice' and say its shite isn't fair...

a) different type of music

b) just because justice is utter brilliance doesn't mean reload isn't a really good rock album.

Pantera were always a much better band in my opinion and although i've no doubt that Metallica have a hand in that influence-wise somewhere along the line, they will always be my favourite metal band. Phil Anselmo is a lot better than Hetfield vocally and dare i say it, Dimebag is a better guitarist than both James and Kirk. There isn't a rotten Pantera album, heck there isn't even a patchy one!

I don't know, the first 3 Pantera albums before Cowboys From Hell were a bit ropey though Power Metal (Phil's first with them) was in general quite good.

I have grown up with Metallica, from dashing out to buy Kill Em 'All just after it was released to getting my advance review copy of Death Magnetic I have ridden with them so to speak through all the peaks and troughs. Are they still relevant, depends on your viewpoint and musical taste. Some people say they are past it but in my opinion that doesn't hold up, if anything I would say they have re-discovered themselves and there is a vibrancy within the camp and live that was missing for a very long time. I rate Death Magnetic highly but it does take a little time to grow on you but I think that this will be a footstep towards whatever they do next and was in escence an album version of blowing off the cobwebs. The "past it" argument could also be pitched at (as previously mentioned) U2, Rolling Stones, Sting, Eric Clapton, Iron Maiden, Slayer etc etc. I personally like to take each album/live performance as it comes and judge then, rather than accept popular opinion/mass hysteria/negative press. St Anger I found complete balls but most of Metallica's other stuff I have found to be at least pretty good ranging up to excellent.

On a side note, I saw Megadeth in London recently and it was the best live performance I have seen from them in 20 years. Dave might be as mad as a hat full of badgers but if he keeps putting on performances like that I will keep watching. (also liked United Abominations, so what if it could have been released in 1985.) 8-)

2nd side note, the current line up of Exodus are crushing live and the remake of Bonded By Blood is excellent as has been their previous recent studio albums.

3rd side note, Slayer do what Slayer do though seemingly the next album is their last and they are calling it a day. Possibly the most influential of all the thrash bands and still epic live. I can't say that I have a problem with them not churning out experimental albums or deviating from their "sound", I like what they play and how they play it and it qualms me not a jot that there hasn't been any real musical "growth".

This man speaketh the truth!

:up:

There isn't a rotten Pantera album, heck there isn't even a patchy one!

I fucking LOVE pantera man, Seriously. A top 3 band of all time... but Reinventing The Steel wasn't that great. Inconsistent at best. Cowboys had some filler like 'medicine man' and 'primal concrete sledge'. Trendkill had the odd average tune too.

Vulgar and FBD though... Just incredible.

But phil vs james and dime vs kirk aside, Metallica still a) had great songs, and b) Pantera were pretty massively influenced by them!

I fucking LOVE pantera man, Seriously. A top 3 band of all time... but Reinventing The Steel wasn't that great. Cowboys had some filler like 'medicine man' and 'primal concrete sledge'. Trendkill had the odd average tune.

Vulgar and FBD though. Just incredible.

But phil vs james and dime vs kirk aside, Metallica still a) had great songs, and b) Pantera were pretty massively influenced by them!

Hmmm, i disagree a little as i think Cowboys and Trendkill are great from start to finish. Reinventing the Steel is definitely not a genre/career defining moment but it is better than a lot of metal albums by a country mile.

You know how picky i am about metal though :D

Yeah, i did actually allude to that in my post. I agree that pretty much all modern metal bands have been influenced by Metallica in one way or another, that's undeniable. Metallica are unquestionably still an important metal band though i personally feel that they dropped the ball big time with St Anger and have only just fumblingly picked it up again with Death Magnetic. Next album will be a clincher as to whether i stop paying any attention to their output like i did with R.E.M after Up.