aberdeen-music

Wizard Festival looking for bands

Lemonade

New talent wanted for Wizard Festival - Press & Journal

New talent wanted for Wizard Festival

Up-and-coming bands will battle it out for a place in the line-up

By Jamie Buchan

Published: 06/03/2009

THE organisers of the north-easts biggest live music festival are on the hunt for fresh talent.

Up-and-coming bands are being given the chance to perform at the third Wizard Festival, which will once again take place at New Deer this summer.

New artists and groups will then be hand-picked to play a series of showcase events in and around Aberdeen to battle it out for a place on the festival line-up.

The two-day event has already played host to such big-name acts as Supergrass, The Undertones and Alabama 3.

Today, a dedicated website will be launched at www.wiz ardfestival.co.uk to keep fans across announcements.

This years event will be held in the village showground on Friday and Saturday, August 28 and 29.

Tickets will go on sale via Ticketmaster and at various local outlets in the coming weeks.

Headline acts are expected to be announced soon.

Festival organiser Roy Thain said last night: Its great to be back for a third year. The buzz around the festival just gets bigger and bigger. Each year it gets harder to compete with the previous years acts, but in terms of headliners and support bands already confirmed, 2009s bill is shaping up to be a real treat.

He added: The calibre and status of the acts booked to perform is really high.

Its going to be hard to follow talented musicians like Supergrass and Alabama 3, who performed last year, but we are determined to up the ante again.

Around 4,000 people attended last years show.

Bands have until May 1 to submit their demo tapes.

For details of how to apply, visit the festivals official website.

From the website:

March 2009 - We Are Gonna Rock!

We are now accepting artist demo submissions with a closing date of Friday 1st May. Please forward entries to:

Wizard Festival Ltd

Byron Lodge

Keplahill

Longside

AB42 4XD

Get your demos in!

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

Wizard Festival is amazing fun, both playing and having ace fun on the campsite.

We played both years - first year in the wee acoustic tent, and it's safe to say its the first time we ever played to a packed "venue" - fucking brilliant fun. Played the Banshee Stage last year, and packed the tent again, and there were chants of "Who the fuck are Supergrass" etc going. Again - just brilliant fun.

It's really good seeing "local" bands getting to play in front of busy crowds. In the Banshee Stage as well as us packing the tent, Velvet Audio and Kashmir Red (off the top of my head) filled the place really well, and it's definitely the best show I've ever seen Kashmir Red put on - they suit the festival vibe. Steve, complete with cowboy type hat, and wellies. Brilliant.

The Friday night was just brilliant on the campsite. We'd been keeping a lid on the drinking cos we were playing late on the Friday, but had a good few beers afterwards. We had a gazebo on the go, and 3 of the Little Kicks came and joined us as well as quite a few randoms and we had a magic singsong with acoustic guitars, tambourine and that drum box thingy you sit on - I always forget what it's called (sit on it and hit and kick various parts of it - really cool). It turned into a mini Little Kicks intimate acoustic gig which was very very cool.

I'm looking forward to more of this sort of stuff this year. Someone else can provide the gazebo though - mine fell down in the terrible wind on the Saturday night and got destroyed. 50 odd quid for one night's fun.... :(

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree
Cajn - (Ka-Hon) - Spanish for Box (funnily enough) lol

That's the one. I did actually think that's what it was but was a bit scared to type it and look like a moron, when it was something completely different :popcorn:

Shame

It's really exciting that this Festival seems to be getting bigger and better each year.

I find it highly disappointing that they're going with the Battle of the Bands process again though.

Swallowed pride to play a heat last year and felt disgusting afterwards. And before anyone says that wasn't because we didn't win.

I wish the organisers all the luck in the world with this years event.

Looking forward to it.