aberdeen-music

Watchmen

Afro Droid

It was meant to be! I thought that the alternative American history montage at the start was just brilliant.

To Dylan's The Times They Are A-changing. Genius!

I've only been waiting 20 years for this to be adapted from graphic novel to big screen and the transition worked. So good, in fact, that I'm going to see it again this week.

Methinks I'll have to re-buy the book. My copy's rather dog-eared now.

I thought it was decent but not quite as good as I thought it would be. I don't think the new ending is anywhere near as good as the GN's ending but if they were gonna use the squid then they'd have to include all the stuff on the island and probably the Black Freighter stuff too, so the film would probably have been like 5 hours long :p.

It was great in some parts and pretty poor in others but it was wonderfully bloody and had a cracking soundtrack. I'm looking forward to the extended version though, hopefully Snyder left in the stuff with the news vendor, Rorschach and the therapist and Hollis.

I thought it was decent but not quite as good as I thought it would be.

Agreed. The first half-two thirds were amazing, truely what I'd hoped for, then it went tits up over the course of about 15 mintues when they stopped using the dialogue from the comic and changed the plot (my missus actually leaned over in the cinema and said: "how has it gone shit so quickly?). Changing the ending was pointless - I was well looking forward to seeing the alien squid attack! The new ending lacked the impact of the ending from the book, it was like nothing major had happened - the comic shows the total devastation, bodies in the street ect, all the film had was a smallish blue explosion.

No back-story for Ozymandias, so no one gave a shit about his motivations, no death of Hollis, trucated version of Rorschach's back-story - all added to my feeling that the movie lacked something the book has: incredible depth.

On the upside - it looked awesome, good cast, and Rorschach was as badass as I'd hoped. Doc Manhattan was ace, Silk Spetre was hot, the action (albeit shoe-horned in) was excellent.

I'll go see it again, but I tending to agree with Terry Gilliam - it's impossible to really the capture the back on the big screen...