aberdeen-music

MAYBESHEWILL + AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR + support // Black Tooth Rock Lounge

The Ghost Of Fudge

Fudge and Snafu proudly present:

THE BLACK TOOTH ROCK LOUNGE,

MONDAY 4th MAY 2009, 9pm-2am

MAYBESHEWILL

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR

KARTTA

Maybeshewill on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR (ALBUM OUT 13/04/09)) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Kartta on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I can't even BEGIN to explain how blindingly good this gig is set to be!

Maybeshewill and And So I Watch You From Afar are about to embark on another UK tour together. It looks set to be epic, much like both their musical outputs.

Leicestershire's 'Maybeshewill' mash up crunching riffs, samples, pianos, weird noises, pop, hardcore, alt-metal and post-rock to produce a full-fat, dynamic and vital instumental vision. They sound awsome.

'And So I Watch You From Afar' hail from Belfast, and are signed to Smalltown America. They're coming from a similar musical area, but chuck occasional gang vocals and 80's stadium rock moments into the musical gumbo. Top quality reverb-ladden guitar soundscapes with big balls.

MAYBESHEWILL

Maybeshewill is the product of three boys, one girl, their frustrations with a broken laptop and their over-active imaginations. Maybeshewill is James Collins (drums), John Helps (guitar), Robin Southby (guitar) and Victoria Sztuka (bass).

Maybeshewill don't really like the way the music 'industry' works (infact it enrages them) and thus they try to do as much as they can in a 'DIY' Fashion. They record, mix and master their records themselves, book their own shows and run their own label which releases music by bands that they think deserve more attention.

In the past three years Maybeshewill has...

Released an EP, album, single, split 7" and split 12" in the UK, Europe and Japan, toured the UK with Fight Fire With Water, Worriedaboutsatan and And So I Watch You From Afar (though not at the same time), toured Japan with Ovum, been Huw Stephens' album of the week, played with the likes of Foals, Johnny Truant and Amusement Parks On Fire (as well as several hundred others), started their own record label, played the Dot To Dot, Hockley Hustle, Summer Sundae and Brainwash Festivals and been very bored in vans and on aeroplanes for a large proportion of their lives.

KKKK - KERRANG!

8/10 - ROCKSOUND

8/10 - DROWNED IN SOUND

5/5 - ROCK MIDGETS

ALBUM OF THE WEEK - HUW STEPHENS SHOWS - BBC RADIO 1

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR

Irish post-rockers And So I Watch You From Afar are Rory Bone Crusher (guitar one), Tony Face Eater (guitar two), Johnny Gut Slurpper (bass) and Chris Blood Gargler (Drums). They're also bloody good.

But don't take my word for it - here's what other people have said:

10/10 - BBC RADIO 1

KKKK - KERRANG!

ALBUM OF THE WEEK - HUW STEPHENS SHOWS - BBC RADIO 1

9/10 - ROCKSOUND

9/10 - DROWNED IN SOUND

8/10 - VICE MAG

7/10 - METAL HAMMER MAG

"..really rather special....it is rare for a body of work to be so dreamy and elegiac yet conversely monstrously heavy....sounds like the end of the world!!" - KERRANG!

"Imagine Mogwai were from Belfast and had massive balls" - VICE MAG

"The sound of someone crashing an oil tanker through Sigur Ros' ice float" - NME

"And So I Watch You From Afar effortlessly deliver, bringing a brain-annihilating barrage of rhythms and rottweiler, whats just been kicked in the knackers, fury" - DROWNED IN SOUND

"And So I Watch You From Afar..march over introspective horizons....(they) can do nothing wrong " - KERRANG MAGAZINE.

"Plucked from the very heavens!....Colossal!" - LOSINGTODAY.COM

"Our new favourite band, keep a hold of them" - YOURCODENAMEIS:MILO

Support comes from local boys KARTTA.

Maybeshewill on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR (ALBUM OUT 13/04/09)) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Kartta on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

from the SMALLTOWN AMERICA newsletter:

AND SO I PREORDER YOU FROM AFAR

As briefly mentioned last time, we've started taking preorders for And So I Watch You From Afar's debut album! It's a self-titled, sixty minutes of skull-crunching post rock kinda affair, and the natural culmination of the two years of hard work and hard touring the band have put in.

It hits shops on April 13th, but as with all our recent releases, if you preorder it from us you'll receive it two weeks early, in the week beginning March 30th.

What's more, you'll also receive an exclusive bonus disc! The experiment of trying this with Calories' Adventuring album worked so well, we've decided to do it again. The band are still compiling the disc, so the contents are still TBC but we've been told it's going to feature exclusive live material, some rare tracks and a new remix! Exciting.

Click here to preorder at the STA online store: Smalltown America ? Products ? Albums ? And So I Watch You From Afar - And So I Watch You From Afar (preorder w/ BONUS DISC) (Preorder)

The band are out on tour a lot over the next few months, including UK tours in both April and May. Hit up their myspace for a full list of dates, as we can't keep up with what they're up to. Expect to see many, many more dates to be added over the next few months: AND SO I WATCH YOU FROM AFAR (ALBUM OUT 13/04/09)) on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

MAYBESHEWILL

SING THE WORD HOPE IN FOUR-PART HARMONY

Release Date: 1st June 2009 | Label: Field Records

Summer 2009 sees Maybeshewill release Sing The Word Hope In Four-Part Harmony, less than 12 months after their debut LP Not For Want Of Trying hit the shelves.

The band have once again eschewed the industry route whilst making this record Shunning studios in favour of a DIY approach to recording, mixing and mastering the material in their rehearsal space on a budget of literally nothing. Taking this ethos even further, the band choose to book their own shows and run their own Press and PR company (Robot Needs Home) rather than employ anyone else to do these jobs for them.

Sing The Word Hope In Four-Part Harmony once again takes the wide-screen expanses and beauty of Post-Rock and combines it with the immediacy and brutality of hardcore. This is an intentionally accessible instrumental record The climaxes and breakdowns condensed into a concise thirty minutes of noise.

Its difficult for an instrumental band to make a serious social statement without the use of lyrics, but Sing The Word Hope In Four-Part Harmony is just that. Set against the background of the current recession, and born out of six months of touring their debut LP, this album is a journal of four twenty-somethings thoughts and experiences during tough times.

Maybeshewill are on tour throughout May with And So I Watch You From Afar (Smalltown America) with the album released on Monday 1st June through Field Records in the UK and in July through Xtal in Japan.

• 2 weeks later...

"And So I Watch You On Your Album Tour

Yep, it's finally time - our very own instrumental rock monsters are unleashing their debut album next week! Their self-titled debut album, sixty five minutes of riffs and pounding and WOOs, hits shops across the UK next Monday, April 13th.

To celebrate, the band are heading off on a whistlestop tour of the UK's Barfly venues this month, before there's a much more extensive tour next month. As usual, their myspace holds all the dates. They're also recording an XFM session! We're not sure yet when it will be broadcast, but as soon as we know it'll on the website.

It's already been a good month for the band, with features in Rock Sound and Kerrang! (amongst others), radio play from Zane Lowe and Huw Stephens (amongst others), and a launch party at Belfast's Mandela Hall where an incredible 780 people showed up. Really.

Oh, and you may have seen the band adorning the front cover of this month's AU. Nice."

- From the Smalltown America mailing list...