aberdeen-music

My Minds Weapon + support @ Cafe Drummonds - Sunday 5th April

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

whats the problem people seem to have with the way inkster is running his shows?

I have no idea tbh.

We offer a ticket split deal to all local support bands rather than a guarantee. We only do guarantees for out of town bands cos it's unfair to expect them to sell tickets. It gives them the chance to make as much money as they wish from any given show they play for us.

This is the way many other promoters do it and it works well for them as it does us.

All bands get paid whether it means we're out of pocket or not. On the odd occasion we've not been able to pay the odd band (local) but always book them again and give them the money they're due from both gigs.

You can choose to accept what we do and play a show for us or not. Some bands have declined as they don't believe in ticket split deals but that's up to them and we're respectful of everyone's opinions.

I must re-iterate, we are NOT pay to play. ALL bands get paid by us. We'll always cover petrol costs at least.

I have no idea tbh.

We offer a ticket split deal to all local support bands rather than a guarantee. We only do guarantees for out of town bands cos it's unfair to expect them to sell tickets. It gives them the chance to make as much money as they wish from any given show they play for us.

This is the way many other promoters do it and it works well for them as it does us.

All bands get paid whether it means we're out of pocket or not. On the odd occasion we've not been able to pay the odd band (local) but always book them again and give them the money they're due from both gigs.

You can choose to accept what we do and play a show for us or not. Some bands have declined as they don't believe in ticket split deals but that's up to them and we're respectful of everyone's opinions.

I must re-iterate, we are NOT pay to play. ALL bands get paid by us. We'll always cover petrol costs at least.

You can put on the next Point of Origin show.

we are twats because we don't agree with the way he does gigs?

you should stay off the grass maaan

no way duuuudeee smoke 'em whilst you can :gringo:

*edit* and no your not a twat for not liking how he puts on his gigs, but for the way you try to jump into a thread where he is promoting to have a go at the way he operates, then your arsehole more commonly know as treader pipes up with his usual little bit. No need, is all im saying.

Guest Exposure @ Lemon Tree

I can never understand why people think it's such a hardship for local bands to do their bit for gigs and try and sell some tickets. Yes it's the promoter's job to promote a gig, but the hard fact of the matter is that lots of people will have absolutely no idea who the local bands (and the touring bands a lot of the time) are. So promoting the hell out of a show, and tellling people the band names, giving them a myspace link, a description of the band etc won't be enough to convince them to come along, and it will often be the local bands on the bill that get their mates and mates of mates etc to come along. It does depend on the touring band of course, but some of the bands we've supported are bands that none of my mates have ever heard of before, and so effectively they're coming to see us rather than the headline act.

You can't expect Inkster and Stephen to just give all the local bands guarantees and just end up losing money all the time. A ticket share is an incentive for the local bands to get people along to the gig which works better for everyone involved. I'm on Inkster's e-mail list etc and he does plenty of promotion through this, myspace, posters up around the city etc. but the added extra of the local bands putting a bit of effort in will make the gigs better all round.

In my opinon :popcorn:

*edit* and no your not a twat for not liking how he puts on his gigs, but for the way you try to jump into a thread where he is promoting to have a go at the way he operates, then your arsehole more commonly know as treader pipes up with his usual little bit. No need, is all im saying.

How dare you question maxi, God of Aberdeen Music.

I have no idea tbh.

so for all the tickets they sell you take half the money and cover the costs of the show?

any profit from the shows goes back into the shows and not into your pocket?

i can't really see why there'd be a problem if this was the case... apart from Myspace bulletin boards getting clogged with morons selling tickets.

Guest treader.
Uh-oh...

Not :up:

Hahahahaha.

Also, what was my 'little bit' on this thread milner? That I said Inkster avoided answering the question and then said I was going to be attending!?

Good one.

so for all the tickets they sell you take half the money and cover the costs of the show?

any profit from the shows goes back into the shows and not into your pocket?

i can't really see why there'd be a problem if this was the case... apart from Myspace bulletin boards getting clogged with morons selling tickets.

Yeah profits go back into future shows and improving the bands I can offer to Aberdeen and Scotland cos I'm now starting to deal with bands that are on bigger guarantees and asking for a percentage of my profits after break even point.

On the odd occasion we make a decent bit of money it does help with living costs etc but we always make sure everyone is paid accordingly and everything is covered. Most of all I make sure bands have fun and enjoyed their experience.

should it merit a seperate thread? not really. as for treader, why is he *my* arsehole?

should it merit a seperate thread? not really. as for treader, why is he *my* arsehole?

if you feel that strongly against the way a certain person conducts their buisness and you feel it would be for the good of the people who post on here then yes, it has been done quite a few times before with people who didnt the way others worked. You know as well as i do tho how it will end up and bad boy dave will shut it down inside a few pages. Im sure all bands he books get the situation explained to them before hand and are quite happy to play the gig regardless thats why i dont see the need for you too make not so sly comments like you did, PM the guy, ask him about it, get him to explain it fully if you really need him too, or just stay away if he asks one of your bands to play.

They have, but still no word if My Minds Weapon will play. Any word from the promoters? I'm going to email Basick and find out as I was planning on reviewing the show.

It appears from their myspace that they intend to play the show, as the listing used to say w/ Fell Silent, but has been changed, so they've amended their listing since Fell Silent pulled out, but are still going to play that one. They've also deleted a couple of the tour dates but 5th and 6th April are still there.